The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Shirl

Swallowing, speech and choking

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Vegged Out
Shirl

For many years, I've had throat problems due to MS. At times, the swallowing mechanism reaches up and grabs food before I've thoroughly chewed it. At other times, a small seed or nut is lodged in my throat, leaving the sensation it is still there even when the choking coughs have dislodged it. All this has caused me much embarrassment as food is often splattered around by the coughs. Not a pretty sight.

And now... last Sunday, I was in bed, lolling after a nice cup of tea. No sensation of choking or lodged er… tea! But, of its own accord (pun intended) my throat closed. Thus I could neither breathe or speak. It felt like many minutes, lasted seconds. I thumped DH just so he would know distress was present. Then I reached for a glass of water, and happily my throat allowed the sip through, followed by many thankful swallows.

My throat has tightened to various degrees since Sunday so I await a chat with a GP this afternoon.

It's just another one of those things that are sent to try us... 

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Shirl , it's called Dysphagia, a common MS problem.

There's some details here :- https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/swallowing

:moonieman: 

Edited by Stumbler
  • Thanks 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Vegged Out
Shirl

1 hour ago, Stumbler said:

@Shirl , it's called Dysphagia, a common MS problem.

There's some details here :- https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/swallowing

Really kind of you to remind me, John. My main query (just spoken to GP) was Could it be related to flu jab the day before? Apparently not.

I've agreed to keep a symptom diary and call if throat closes again. It was the worst incident yet and I've had problems with swallowing/speech for over 20 years. 

Sometimes, even though we become used to a symptom, know how to manage it, a particular occurrence bops us on the nose and says, Hey you, remember me?

Really glad to be pointed in the right direction, @Stumbler

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Shirl , MS is the gift that just keeps on giving. :banghead:

• Shocked 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Fine
WobblyGreg

The trouble swallowing and throat contraction was quite worrying when I first got it .

At another time I rang the nhs about it and the Dr I spoke  to was quite concerned as we spoke he said he got alarm bells when I'd said can't swallow and trouble breathing.

He said he saw ms on my notes and that 'rang his alarm bell , i guess he thought mylin sheath to throat had gone !

Oh well at least I know name for it , another one I can't pronounce 😂

Vegged Out
Shirl
2 hours ago, WobblyGreg said:

Oh well at least I know name for it , another one I can't pronounce 😂

This might help with getting your tongue around dysphagia - click the word, Greg.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now