The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.

Sign in to follow this  
RSS News

MS News that Caught My Eye Last Week: Stem Cell Transplant, Cooling Therapy and Exercise, FDA OK for Generic Tecfidera, Top Stories of 2018

1 post in this topic Last Reply

RSS News
stem cell transplant

blog_images-31_720.png

Stem Cell Transplant Lessens Disability and Relapses in RRMS Patients, Phase 2 Trial Shows

Here’s another study indicating that a stem cell transplant should be a treatment choice available to all MS patients where medically appropriate. Isn’t it past time to press harder on the stem cell treatment accelerator?

Treatment with autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant led to a sustained decrease in disability and almost no clinical relapses in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) who had failed to respond to prior immunosuppressive therapies, an Australian Phase 2 trial shows.

Trial findings were published in the study, “Prospective phase II clinical trial of autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplant for treatment refractory multiple sclerosis,” in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry.

Cooling Therapy Before Exercise Can Increase Physical Activity in MS Patients

I like to exercise, and knowing that heat can kick up my MS symptoms, I sometimes use a cooling towel around my neck. But I never thought of cooling down before starting my workout routine. This review of several studies of pre-cooling suggests that it might be a good thing to do.

Lowering body temperature helps to improve exercise and functional capability in multiple sclerosis (MS) patients by preventing disease worsening, researchers in Greece report.

The study with that finding, “Impact of pre-cooling therapy on the physical performance and functional capacity of multiple sclerosis patients: A systematic review,” was published in the journal Multiple Sclerosis And Related Disorders.

Bafiertam, a Bioequivalent of Tecfidera, Receives Tentative OK from FDA for RRMS

Bioequivalent is a fancy way of saying generic. It’s a copy of a medication that’s required to have the same quality, safety, and strength as the original. So, the fact that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has given tentative approval to a generic for a very expensive MS disease-modifying treatment is exciting. But don’t hold your breath waiting for this. Final approval, if it comes, could still be 18 months away.

Banner Life Sciences has received tentative approval from the FDA for its new drug application for Bafiertam (monomethyl fumarate), a novel bioequivalent of Biogen’s Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) for the treatment of RRMS.

Final approval is expected no later than June 2020, the company announced.

Top 10 Multiple Sclerosis Stories of 2018

The most-read MS stories on this website include information about a mouse study that showed potential for remyelination, updated data about Ocrevus (ocrelizumab), treatment with stem cells from umbilical cords, Epstein-Barr disease, and of course, medical marijuana. Check out this list in case you missed any.

Multiple Sclerosis News Today brought you daily coverage of key findings, treatment developments, and clinical trials related to multiple sclerosis (MS) throughout 2018.

We look forward to reporting more news to patients, family members, and caregivers dealing with MS during 2019.

Here are the top 10 most-read articles of 2018, with a brief description of what made them relevant for the MS community.

Note: Multiple Sclerosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Multiple Sclerosis News Today or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to multiple sclerosis.

The post MS News that Caught My Eye Last Week: Stem Cell Transplant, Cooling Therapy and Exercise, FDA OK for Generic Tecfidera, Top Stories of 2018 appeared first on Multiple Sclerosis News Today.

View the article on Multiple Sclerosis News Today

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.