The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Shirl

Pete's No Beard Or Hair Cuts 2019 (Colour in December) Challenge for MS Trust

67 posts in this topic Last Reply

Vegged Out
Shirl

...and it's TOMORROW when @HairyPete will be given tangerine hair and a blue & white beard (the colours of his beloved Oldham Athletic FC) thus fulfilling his No Beard or Hair Cuts (Colour by December) Challenge 2019 for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust.

When he emerges from Sam's Salon, we're having the Hair Do Party to celebrate - photos will be posted as soon as I'm in wifi range!

Wish us luck, please! Today, I've as much energy as anyone else with MS and a huge project to complete! It's been worth it though.

PS A neighbour has just donated a £20 cheque to the MS Trust Fundraiser. This won't reach the Virgin Money Giving page until the banking is done on Thursday.
Thank you to Pauline

Edited by Shirl
@ etc! then a PS
  • Like 1

Shirley  "one day at a time" - it's all anyone can do"

This year, my husband is raising funds for MS Trust with a 

Thank you all

HairyPete
4 minutes ago, Shirl said:

...and it's TOMORROW when @HairyPete will be given tangerine hair and a blue & white beard (the colours of his beloved Oldham Athletic FC) thus fulfilling his No Beard or Hair Cuts (Colour by December) Challenge 2019 for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust.

When he emerges from Sam's Salon, we're having the Hair Do Party to celebrate - photos will be posted as soon as I'm in wifi range!

Wish us luck, please! Today, I've as much energy as anyone else with MS and a huge project to complete! It's been worth it though.

It's all getting even more scary now. Hey ho.

Edited by HairyPete
  • Like 1

Vegged Out
Shirl

Well folk we have an hour to go! I will try to post photos of @HairyPeteon my Facebook (Public feed) as we go along BUT the WiFi/phone signals are poor in the venue so you may need to hold your breath until about 4.30/5.00pm. Sorry!

• Like 2

Thank you all

Crappy
Marina

I've got poor internet connectivity here too, must be something to do with the weather!

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Vegged Out
Shirl

We've broken our target today!

We've now raised £1807.50 online thanks to donations from my son Rob (thank you!) and Katie who was with us today. Thanks Katie! PS Thanks to Graham we now have £1813.75.

And we have achieved these sums at the Hair Do:

£10.00 cash donation from Annette, our lovely care co-ordinator

£97.00 Raffle money

£16.80 posh biscuit auction (leftover boxes!)

£85.00 in notes literally thrown at Pete for no reason other than giving to a great cause.

This makes an incredible, delectable and brilliant £208.80.

That, when it is banked, will be a total of £2022.55.

Plus we have 2 x MS Trust collecting tins to pay into the bank tomorrow - 1 from Trish and her family, a neighbour, and the other was sat on the raffle table gathering loose change.

What a day - wonderful Men in Sheds in attendance, our close friends, our fellow residents, staff, Sam's Salon (for the hair dyeing) and Kingdom Cafe (that cake!) and I'm sure someone in heaven was smiling on us too.

Anyone say, how about writing a guide to fundraising? No, I have a better idea... more about that after the upcoming neurology appointments and a REST.

Pete's looking great - I mean it!I

20191101MSFund11aV.jpg

Edited by Shirl
clarification re Rob and Katie donating online
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Thank you all

HairyPete

@Shirl has worked so hard, despite a year of being unwell, to push the admin boundaries. Today, all that effort paid off as we beat our latest target. What an amazing day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Crappy
Marina

A huge great BIG CONGRATS to you both!  :stars2::stars2::stars2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Marina

Crappy
Marina

I meant to ask... and I may have lost the plot since the beginning of the year when you started this amazing fundraiser... For how long will Pete be keeping his psychedelic hippy hair for, or, when will his beard get the chop and is the hair dye permanent or will it wash out in time? :devilgrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marina

HairyPete

It's a permanent dye, but the hair and beard get chopped on New Year's Eve and all will be returned to normal length, by which time the roots should be dye free. Only about 5 weeks to go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vegged Out
Shirl
10 hours ago, HairyPete said:

It's a permanent dye, but the hair and beard get chopped on New Year's Eve and all will be returned to normal length, by which time the roots should be dye free. Only about 5 weeks to go!

And, thrilled as I am with what we've achieved, I will LOVE having my own non-HairyPete back to myself!

• Like 1

Thank you all

Vegged Out
Shirl

For the record, here's the figures from yesterday (updated on 29th November - never write when you are exhausted due to busyness and MS. A better night's sleep has cleared my befuddled brain!

Please note this is about the offline donations on Hair Do Day - others have generously donated online and we can't thank everyone enough.

@HairyPete is now his own poster! I made some small cards with details of the fundraising website and MS Trust charity details. Already he's needed them! How brilliant is that - I'll make some more over the weekend as we are at the hospital for two neurology appointments this coming week... I think we'll need the cards!

20191127MS_Trust_HairDoTotal2_A4V.jpg

Edited by Shirl
to update the poster
  • Like 1

Thank you all

Vegged Out
Shirl

A former colleague of @HairyPete's has donated £20 plus Gift Aid online, raising the Total to £2086.95. Isn't it lovely when this morning's document is already old news!

Thank you all

Vegged Out
Shirl

It's here... the final set of monthly photos. Doesn't he look glamorous. Of course, it helps that after months of taking the photos inside our flat, this time we ventured out into the well lit corridor. What a difference light makes. If we ever do this again (never) we will know where to take those snaps. Handy for Blue Badge photos!

What do we have planned for December? 

8mJmyvA70Zk4dytETgkY8os2ad2Dw6PYuAlR-wkr

On 11th @HairyPete will be at Kings Chase again with information and his MS Trust collection tins. 

On 31st, the hair is being removed by Sam who only just dyed it. How can I be so callous? Well, after 11 months and £2000+ we are both hugely proud, infinitely grateful and grinning chuffed because we know this money - your money - is going to help the dedicated people at MS Trust to spread the vital word about Multiple Sclerosis to those that are being diagnosed or caring for someone who has advanced MS.

Hit the links to find out more. 

Don't forget this cause amidst the clamour of other charities that ALL need our spare cash. Don't pass by when a collecting tin is in your path (although they should never be rattled at your face). 

Please be charity and ill-health aware and remember please that some people look normal but are actually ill and struggling with everyday living.

Edited by Shirl
handle again
  • Like 1

Thank you all

HairyPete

Quite an improvement on the original, don't you think? I might just keep it. Okay, I'm joking.

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@HairyPete , It's gonna be a cold New Year for you. You'll miss the insulation! :lol4:

:moonieman:

• Funny HaHa 2
  • Thanks 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Vegged Out
Shirl
4 hours ago, Stumbler said:

@HairyPete , It's gonna be a cold New Year for you. You'll miss the insulation! :lol4:

... with a happier wife who wants to see her 'normal' hubby again.

However, we've been up to our local Neurology department (for me) today and many folk have thanked @HairyPete for what he has achieved! Even the eminent Neuro we were consulting, and his supporting nurses... that is praise indeed from those who really know what we are all up against.

• Like 1

Thank you all

HairyPete
5 hours ago, Stumbler said:

I've got a decent collection of scarves and beanie hats, some with bobbles, some without. The beanie hats, that is, not the scarves. Don't forget I come from the frozen wastes of the People's Democratic Republic of Lancastria. It's always cold up there. 

• Like 1
  • Funny HaHa 1