The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Shirl

Pete's No Beard Or Hair Cuts 2019 (Colour in December) Challenge for MS Trust

31 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Shirl

My husband Pete is raising money for Multiple Sclerosis Trust, the MS Charity that is dear to our hearts, for its vision and practices. Your contribution will make an impact, whether you donate a little or a lot. Anything helps.

Yes, what it says in the long post title is right - no hair of beard cutting for the whole of 2019. Then, at the close of the year, Pete will have his hair and beard dyed.

The three colours he has chosen to wear on his head and facial hair all have meaning:

Blue and White for MS Trust, with Tangerine to make the colours used by Pete's favourite football club. (More about that later).

Each 1st of month, we will post new photos to show Pete's progress. And the editor will try to improve on the set used in January!

Thank you for your support. Multiple Sclerosis Trust below, has this aim:

"Our vision is to ensure that nobody has to manage MS alone."

The fundraiser was started on Sunday 20th January 2019.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NoBeardOrHairCut
or
VirginMoneyGiving | Pete's No Beard or Hair Cuts 2019

In this short time, it has accumulated beyond our expectation, proving we have excellent friends and contacts. I will give you regular updates as the year progresses.

Please share this thread, or the above details of the fundraiser, as widely as possible

Edited by Shirl
extra info / remove Facebook
  • Love 1

Shirley  "one day at a time" - it's all anyone can do"

This year, my husband is raising funds for MS Trust with a 

Thank you all

Sluggish
Shirl

It's Monday, time to update everyone about the Fund across both Fundraiser sites, Facebook and Virgin.

The joint target is £1000

The joint donations, so far, are

£350

35%

Those donations were made in 

1 week

with 51 to go

Amazing progress, and @HairyPete's is growing well too.

Edited by Shirl
links
  • Like 2

Thank you all

HairyPete
4 hours ago, Shirl said:

It's Monday, time to update everyone about the Fund across both Fundraiser sites, Facebook and Virgin.

The joint target is £1000

The joint donations, so far, are

£350

35%

Those donations were made in 

1 week

with 51 to go

Amazing progress, and @HairyPete's is growing well too.

Brilliant response in such a short space of time. A GREAT BIG THANK YOU.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Sluggish
Shirl

Hi Folks. A piece of Fundraiser news that, er, isn't exactly positive BUT not negative either. You decide.

Please use the VirginMoneyGiving link from now on:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NoBeardOrHairCut

This is why:

We have learned that we are unable to set the Facebook page to end on the last day of 2019. This means we cannot avoid our Facebook supporters receiving messages to say the Fundraiser is ending in X number of days!

So we have decided the facebook page is closing BUT NOT THE FUNDRAISER.

The Funds already raised will be claimed by MS Trust, including Gift Aid, where appropriate.

Please use the VirginMoneyGiving link from now on:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NoBeardOrHairCut - bookmark this link for later if you wish to donate further ahead. Pun! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all

Sluggish
Shirl

The closure of the Facebook Fundraiser page is now complete. If you happen to select the FB link you will see a bright green notice:

THIS FUNDRAISER HAS ENDED.

True but... the info below shows how alive and kicking the fund is!

£110 has been transferred to the Virgin Money Giving page - just as a record, as the money will be claimed by MS Trust. @HairyPete and I will keep you posted throughout the year.

Please donate here
https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NoBeardOrHairCut
when you are able to, and pop in from time to time as we post snippets of news there.

We are both amazed to announce there is now
£470 (plus Gift Aid = £525) on the Virgin page
(Including £220 Raised offline)

We do not yet know the Gift Aid on the Facebook money (see above).

Thanks to those of you who have donated!

New photos now on the Virgin page.

Edited by Shirl
format / clarity / offline giving clarification
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Thank you all

Sluggish
Shirl

It's Sunday, time to update everyone about the VirginMoneyGiving MS Trust Fundraiser - or is that HairRaiser?

The current target is £1000 - as this is a year-long challenge, watch how the target will change as the fund progresses. 

The donations, so far, are £480 or 48%.
(The offline donations, so far, are £230).
Those donations include £110 transferred from the original Facebook fund. 

Amazing progress, and @HairyPete beard is growing well too. His hair has also filled out from the usual clipped format.
My Psychedelic HairyMan is on his way.

Please note: we are standing the costs of dying @HairyPete Beard and Hair at the end of the year. All other costs are ours too. What you see raised is for the MS Trust.

Please feel free to share the Fund's Link with family and friends.

Edited by Shirl
typo on mobile/offline donations clarity
  • Like 3

Thank you all

Sluggish
Shirl

It's Sunday, time to let you know all that's happened this past week:

We've received kind donations from Geoff Millard and from wsm sandy. I mention these because they are two kind donors we do not (think we) know in person, or from places we frequent online. I will edit this if we find out we do know them - and apologise in triplicate.

The total donations, so far, are £532.50 plus Gift Aid not yet administered and claimed by MS Trust.

Pete's beard has been assessed by our local hairdresser, Sam. In other words, admired and stroked. Choosing dyes for November has begun, and hair treatment needed now was advised.

It is the mention of plaiting that seems to make Pete shake with nerves - or appear to do so.

There has been a lot of emailing and letter-writing by @HairyPete to newsprint and online media outlets. We hope to confirm his new image & fame soon!

Me? I look fine as I am, and keep taking the medicines that get me through each day. Having the fingers that spread the online word keeps me happy.

Please say if you would like to know more about the way MS affects my daily living. Of course, MS People members like you can take a nose at my profile and pm me if extra info is required. You will find we have much in common, new members and oldies alike.

Being on this forum is an honour, one that we all treasure. Coming back here to:

• chat
  • ask for help
  • seek out advice
  • share & receive support
  • find a shoulder to lean upon
  • or a virtual box of tissues to share...
  • all these things take time and resourcefulness - our Administrator @Marina is our star :stars2:
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all

Sluggish
Shirl

Hello everyone

I'm a bit late with a Sunday update and nearly late with a Monday one. The good news is, I'm here now.

We've received kind donations amounting to £85 this past week - fabulous. Thank you to all those involved.

The total donations, so far, are £617.50 plus Gift Aid not yet administered and claimed by MS Trust.

@HairyPete's beard has visibly increased. He is the proud owner of a little bottle of beard oil. A couple of drops tames the whiskers, you see. And makes them rather attractive to my nose.

We have some other good news too - but we cannot confirm it quite yet. 

And a request - please let us know if you would like to know more about why, how and when Pete decided on this challenge. Either respond below or PM me.

Until next week, enjoy the calm UK weather and wait for the Friday 1st March PHOTOGRAPHS.

Edited by Shirl
Editing my unedited version
  • Like 2

Thank you all

Sluggish
Shirl

Hi Everyone

Our new photo banner (see below), taken on 1st March, indicates how much @HairyPete's beard is filling out now. The reverse image shows his hair IS growing and has come further than immediately obvious if you remember Pete used to clip really short. Every week. He really did not like to be scruffy! Now look at him.

Now for news about the growing fund (puns are aplenty). For the first time, (although this is Saturday not Sunday or Monday), the total has not shifted. However, we continue to receive kind verbal pledges, two more sets of sponsor forms and leaflets have been taken to various groups, and one of the verbal pledges has promised a sum at the close of the year that amounts to 

£(n x 12) with n being a monthly figure

Does anyone else, who has not yet donated, wish to make this type of pledge? 

And

Does anyone want a set of sponsor forms and leaflets to take to a club or group in their area?

(the latter would work best by post if donations are cheques paid to "MS Trust" with sponsor forms signed with full details for Gift Aid. These (and the cheque/s) can then be returned to us for paying into the MS Trust bank account.

For more information, please PM either @HairyPete or @Shirl(me). We would love to hear what you all think about this Fundraising project.

2019.03.01MSFund03.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you all

HairyPete

It's the tufty bits on the top of my bonce that don't seem to be too attractive. And the pony tail is a long way off by the looks of it. Very pleased with the donations thus far, though.

• Love 2

HairyPete

:boo:  Hide behind the sofa and keep the kids away. It's for their own good.

A bit of messing about this morning proves that a hairy face grows quicker than a hairy head. The three colours, taken from an Oldham Athletic scarf, are all set for late November at @Shirl's hairdresser. 

ecZ7LgD.jpg?26yQBeu3.jpg?3

Before the dyeing (colour, that is) session, though, the manager of the local shopping precinct (Kings Chase in Kingswood, Bristol) has agreed to me having a table and fundraising display on 24th April (the middle of MS Awareness Week) and 21st August. I've never done anything like that before, so it should be interesting.

Also, in August, after a visit to The Shard in London for a three course lunch (a present from son and daughter-in-law) @Shirl and I are going to the MS Trust's head office in Letchworth Garden City for an interview and video recording for the website.

Starstruck? Me? Nah. :dancingman: 

• Love 1

Stumbler

@HairyPete , I can see a job as Santa Claus this coming December........ 🎅

:moonieman:

• Haha 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

HairyPete

Nothing had happened in the last week funding-wise, so the total stayed as it was until last night when another £10 arrived onVirgin Money Giving and a further £20 was donated from a member of my football club fan's board. The new total is £657.50 (£733.75 with Gift Aid). There are still outstanding sponsorship forms to come back, hopefully with lots of promised dosh!

What has happened, however, is that MS and its cohorts are still hitting @Shirl with a vengeance. To combat the Trigeminal Neuralgia that has been plaguing her for the last umpteen weeks, there has been a sea change in medication; instantly ceasing 3 meds after several years, being replaced by just one that has some horrible side effects. Drastic action, but necessary.

There is a cure for this very painful affliction; surgery, which uses a gamma knife to basically cut the nerve. No nerve, no pain. As long as the new meds do their stuff over the six weeks it takes to get to full strength, the surgeon won't have his day.

At least the whiskers (mine, that is) have grown another couple of millimetres and are being eyed enviously by the hairdresser. Er, no, she doesn't want a beard of her own, just thinking up dastardly deeds to inflict onme before and during the colouring process near the end of the year.

• Thanks 1

Tired
Marina

I'm so sorry to hear Shirl's suffering such hell with the change in her TN meds and am keeping everything crossed that the new med helps and that knives won't be necessary.

I'm delighted, though, that your fundraiser keeps receiving more donations. And it's fun to see how your whiskers grow over time!

• Thanks 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Stumbler

Please pass on my thoughts and best wishes to Shirl too. I sincerely hope she get this under control quickly.

• Thanks 2

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

HairyPete
On 19/03/2019 at 17:08, Stumbler said:

Please pass on my thoughts and best wishes to Shirl too. I sincerely hope she get this under control quickly.

Thanks John. It won't be an overnight success but, thankfully, @Shirl has been given Dosulepin again. She saw the GP yesterday, who agreed that she is not at risk and it should soon help combat her sleep deprivation.

• Thanks 1

Sluggish
Shirl

Hello again. I'm still here but rather battle weary after a two-month run-in with Trigeminal Neuralgia that led to a change in several medications. I'm not yet saying I feel like my usual self but I am grateful to my GP, @HairyPete and my two sons for their expertise and care, where respectively appropriate.

Meanwhile,  late as it is, here is the April photo banner. The beard is now a scarf-substitute and the hairline is creeping down to the neck collar. Comparing each month's photos is an encouragement to Pete who feels it's all a bit slow - not a word I can often apply to my dynamic hubby.

The VirginMoneyGiving Fund now sits at a healthy £756.25 (including applicable Gift Aid).

:thanks:to all who have donated to a cause that affects so many of us on this board.

20190407MSFund04.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all

HairyPete

If you have young children in the house, I think you need to keep them away from seeing this. The poor things will have nightmares; it even scares me.

But, seriously, it's going really well and I couldn't keep up with it all without the brilliant @Shirl, even though she has been really unwell for the last couple of months.

• Love 1

Sluggish
Shirl

Great news! During MS Awareness Week (last week) a further £107.20 was added to the Fund plus £8.75 Gift Aid on sponsored donations.

@HairyPete sat at an info and fundraising table in Kings Chase Shopping Centre (photo below) on Wednesday 24th April. It was a damp, chilly day with less shoppers being just after Easter. He will repeat the exercise again soon and definitely on 21st August.

The £107.20 comprised:

- £35 in offline sponsorship (plus the Gift Aid) from 4 people including two at Sam's Hair Salon (where Pete will be having his hair dyed at the end of this year)

- £72.20 cash collection including the loose change we've amounted at home since last December

So here we are at the end of the first 4 months with a grand total that is 86% of the target - even closer to it with Gift Aid realised - at £953.45

WELL DONE EVERYONE - THANK YOU

20190424_KingsChaseMSTrust_edited.jpg

Edited by Shirl
original photo needed reduction and crop/ then adding total and pasting whole in plain text/then Pete's board name!
  • Like 1

Thank you all

Sluggish
Shirl

This month's set of photos show how much @HairyPete beard is really racing along. And you can see his hair has done some creeping down his neck too. Scruffy? No, he's my hero!

20190501MSFund05.jpg

Edited by Shirl
photo size again!
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Thank you all

HairyPete

Today, a friend of mine christened me Uncle Albert. I can't for the life of me think why. The wispy, tufty bits on top are causing some amusement. Friends, eh?

In all seriousness, though, the fund is going really well and the initial target is within touching distance. A great big "thank you" to @Shirl for all the admin work she has done, despite the MonSter doing its best to scupper her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sluggish
Shirl

Here we are again with the latest news.

Last week some very good friends of @HairyPete's donated - one (his away match mate) and another couple through his Men in Sheds group. The first donation was £10 and the second one was £100. Both donations should also accrue Gift Aid.

Now that we are over one-third the way along this year of fundraising, we are thrilled to announce the total has exceeded the £1000 target (including applicable Gift Aid that we will add once MS Trust verify the claim).

To keep up interest in the Fund, and increase the help the MS Trust will receive, we are raising the target to £1500.

A local news publication recently interviewed @HairyPete - here's the link to the page in their online issue.

https://issuu.com/kingswoodvoice/docs/may_combined/12

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thank you all

Sluggish
Shirl

The June photos are in the banner below! Note how you can no longer see Pete's throat. He won't need a scarf next winter but his beard and hair are both, I promise, squeaky clean EVERY day. Nothing else to report except we have a date for the colour dye that will be expertly applied by a stylist called Sam on 27th November 2019. More details to follow much nearer the day.

Another of Pete's friends at Warmley Men in Sheds has donated £10 cash - duly banked with MS Trust and added to the offline total at

2080x900e08fb335-cdf4-4f83-992c-97a09f29
UK.VIRGINMONEYGIVING.COM

Shirley Davis is raising money for Charity. Sponsor them with Virgin Money Giving.

Edited by Shirl
Grammar!
  • Like 2

Thank you all

HairyPete

It's getting very warm beneath all this undergrowth. 

• Haha 2
  • Love 1