The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
PaulX

Pregabalin now a controlled drug

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Lurking
PaulX

I received letter from my doctor this week, informing me that my pregabalin (and gabapentin) are now on the controlled drugs list.

I will only be able to get 4 weeks supply at once instead of the usual two months I had been picking up.

Not the end of the world, but a major inconvenience.

But what the hell! Why on earth are these now controlled drugs? You are not going to get high on them.

PaulX

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Vegged Out
Shirl
42 minutes ago, PaulX said:

my pregabalin (and gabapentin) are now on the controlled drugs list.

This explains why my last 2 items came in separate bags. @HairyPete collected one item thinking that was all. Phoned pharmacy who said the two items came on two prescriptions, but they kindly delivered the missing item.

Controlled drugs have to go on a printed prescription while others can be electronically prescribed. I seem to have the same amount of Gabapentin which is good as I'm taking extra for Trigeminal Neuralgia currently. 

I qualify for pharmacy deliveries based on a condition arising from MS but not the MS itself. @HairyPete usually collects our items, unless we are unwell.

Hope you soon get used to the new routine, Paul.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Nick

The question is, What do we have to do when going abroad on holiday?  Do we need any paperwork from the doctor to tell officials that we are on this prescribed drug?

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Sluggish
Marina
5 hours ago, PaulX said:

Why on earth are these now controlled drugs?

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sluggish
Marina

And the official reason is here:

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

New controls over prescription drugs pregabalin and gabapentin following rising fatalities.

and here from the NHS (in PDF):

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/handling-pregabalin-and-gabapentin.pdf

The NHS's "Briefing Note" (in PDF):

https://www.dispensingdoctor.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Pregabalin-and-Gabapentin-Briefing-Note-12-Feb-2019.pdf

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

This is  what happens when you take your eye off the ball.

The last few years I have basically being ignoring most things MS and just getting on with it. It seems like I need to keep a closer eye on the government and NICE.

Are these drugs really that bad? Has there really been that many problems?

I have still been keeping at least half an eye on developments, in case they find the cure and I am sure I haven't seen much about people dropping like flies from taking these.

Paul

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

I imagine most people either won’t be aware of it or will have forgotten about the advance warning (in my topic linked to above) as it was 18 months ago. I’m sure it’ll be a big shock for the many MSers and others who have these on repeat prescription!

As to the reasons for it, it does seem a bit odd. Seems part of it is due to people in prison using it recreationally (not sure how, though!). If one thinks about it, they might as well make Paracetamol a controlled drug... if you take enough of it with alcohol, it can kill you. Most meds, if misused, can have severe consequences, yet some (like Paracetamol) are sold over the counter and in supermarkets. So when it comes to classification, “go figure”, as they say across the pond :dunno:

I must admit that I, too, don't keep that much of an eye on developments either, mainly as I'm SPMS and most (if not all) developments are for RRMS; even if there now is one that's for RR and PPMS, it's still not for SPMS (not quite sure why!)... I also don't take Pregabalin or Gabapentin as I can't due to side-effects.

Re going abroad, there's a section marked “Travelling abroad” towards the bottom of this page:

BNF. NICE.ORG.UK

This medicines guidance topic is about Controlled drugs and drug dependence.

Marina

Vegged Out
Shirl

This link carries a journalist's viewpoint. My own view is yet more genuine users with conditions such as ours are penalised by the sad, unfortunate and possibly wilful decisions of a minority group.

Tramadol is also controlled but both this and Gabapentin still appear on my Patient Access making them easy enough to re-order. It's remembering to remind @HairyPete to pick up several "parcels" from the drug packing office, otherwise known as pharmacy.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Nick

Thanks Marina, 

seems like you just need a covering note from the GP when going abroad for less than three months.

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Lurking
PaulX

Don't I know it.

I usually get a carrier bagful of medication every two months.

Of course my last goodie bag only had 1 months supply of Pregabalin.

I realised as I took the last one and went upstairs to find some more, only to find there wasn't any.

I was a few days without as I got a prescription.

Ok, so bad organisation on my part, but how many are going to be caught out by this just because our ineffectual government can't deal with the misuse of these drugs.

Paul

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now