The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Catherine

Advanced Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Catherine

Hi everyone,

Has anyone experienced Advanced Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy? I'm always on the look out for different therapies and I understand some MS centres offer this. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Catherine

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Catherine  , I tried it for at least a couple of years. I don't think it did much for me, apart from the social side.

But, there again, some people swear by it. So, give it a go, although you do need some intensive sessions first, to get your saturation levels up.

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Catherine

Thank you very much! There's a place close to where I live that offer it for £40 a go, so might give it a try. 

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Catherine  , wow, £40 a session. That's a bit steep!

The intensive sessions needed to increase your saturation levels are three times a week for six? weeks. Then weekly "top-up"s are suggested as a maintenance session to retain the levels.

That is going to work out very expensive.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Catherine

Oh yes, you are right! I thought it was reasonable because I saw the same thing available in a fancy clinic in London for over a £100 a session. Might need to rethink or have a lottery win!

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Catherine  , look up your nearest MS Treatment Centre. These places are run as charities and ask for a "contribution" towards the cost of a session.

og_img.jpg
WWW.MSNTC.ORG.UK

MS National Therapy Centres (MSNTC) is a charity providing support to people living with Multiple Sclerosis in the UK. Find an MS therapy centre near you.

Catherine

Thank you, I thought this but my nearest one is 20 miles away. Just a bit too far for me to manage. 

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hello Catherine

I am so glad you've had a chat with @Stumbler about this as I am nervous of the topic. I've also been unwell and rather neglectful of the board. It will be interesting to hear how you get on.  I guess research, questions and taking advice from the experts are the only pieces of advice I can offer.

I do hope you get some benefit and feel much better afterwards.

Take care.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Reiki Therapy

ok. Had my first experience of Reiki today. For the uninitiated, this is the laying on of hands (although she held hands over me most of the time) in order to re-energise your aura (natural energy field). I went in looking to find a way to relax/ de-stress. Wasn't sure if/ what I believed but as a friend pointed out that simply the music, the calm, the candles, the music couldn't hurt, could it?? Couldn't argue with that. Other therapies didn't appeal given current condition - didn't want massage, wasn't up to yoga, can't meditate alone so Reiki won. Have to say it was not what I was expecting. Had a 30 min conversation before even starting where we discussed problems and she explained what would happen. Then wrapped warmly on a bed - no removal of any clothes - and we began. Almost instantly I began to experience different sensations round the body (not MS ones) sometimes warmth, sometimes cold, occasional twinges - not painful. Burning feeling inside, again tho I was very conscious of it, it was not painful in anyway. Then it was as if someone had hooked me up to a socket and a mild current ran thru me. She barely touched me but at one stage she put her hands under my head and told me to just rest on them. No massage, no movement. I had expected to find this uncomfortable but found it strangely comforting. It lasted 30 minutes but felt about 15 (no she hadn't switched the clock!) and tho I definitely didn't fall asleep, I felt when I sat up as if I had just woken up. We then chatted for another 30 mins about the experiience and I drank water. She warned me that experience was different every time; that I might be emotional or very tired later; that it was a good idea to have a quiet peaceful time afterwards (so don't do it before kids sleepover!). Since then I've been feeling I suppose pensive, thoughtful, slightly sad. A little tired too and without doubt not the nervy/ hyper character I've been these last few weeks. Having said that, coming down off steroids, so it could be just natural reaction to that. No idea what to think, folks, just wanted to let you know about it. It's hard to articulate but I feel it's been beneficial and I will definitely be returning next week. x Lottie

in General Discussion about MS

• Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

Hi All, WellI had my first session of hyperbaric oxygen therapy ( HBOT) last night. Basically I sat in a small chamber while they compressed the chamber to the equivalent of being at a depth of 16 feet. Felt a bit like going up in a plane and I had to release the pressure in my ears every now and then by swallowing. Once we were at the correct pressure we put on masks and breathed in pure oxygen for an hour. I didn't feel any different after the session but I am assuming I will need to have several sessions before I see any benefit - assuming I see any benefit at all. The most disappointing thing was I couldn't take my kindle into the chamber - I was looking forward to a good read. So I'll need to take a magazine or a real book next time.   I was wondering if anyone else has tried HBOT and if they have seen any improvement in their symptoms as a result.   I have got to the stage that I am now willing to try anything.   Cazza - you said you had tried it - how did you find it? What a shame they closed it down.   Gill x

• cognitive stimulation therapy

iam starting this next week,its a 8week course,4 hrs a week.doctors don't know if iam suffering from ms forgetfulness or early onset dementia.has anyone done this course ? was it helpful ? what iam to expect ? sorry for the bombardment of questions !! lol,take care everyone

• Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with hyperbaric oxygen therapy? There is a centre close to me (Glasgow) that offers it as a therapy. They state on their website "Although it is not a cure, this type of therapy has been credited as helping some users to gain relief from symptoms such as fatigue, poor balance and mobility, sensory perception difficulties, incontinence and in some cases speech problems" As I am struggling with fatigue and mobility I thought it might be worth trying. Any thoughts would be welcome.   Thanks, Gill (aka Rama)  

• Please vote for my local MS Therapy Centre!

It's been a while since I visited this forum but I would really appreciate your help placing votes for my local MS Therapy Centre (in Kent) to help them build a new centre to replce our delapidated "Portacabin" type building. It is well used and new people are joining practically every week.   To vote, all you need to do is click on the link, once on the page, scroll down and find The Kent Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Centre or under the alphabetical grouping given and click ‘vote’.   http://40.persimmonhomes.com/vote   Each person is allowed one vote every 24 hrs between now and 20th September so please please vote each day to give the Centre the best possible chance of gaining the most votes. If we are successful, the house will be sold and the money will be match funded by our wonderful patron, Mr Frank Brake. This means we could be moving into our much needed new Centre far sooner than we anticipated!   Thank you for listening and keep well.   Tania

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.