The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Happymama

Ketogenic diet

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Balanced
Happymama

I'm doing this new way of eating. One result is that I've had a revelation of cognitive enhanced thinking, and elevated mood (and weight loss).

Basically, you go back to your 4000 year ago metabolic situation with your liver providing all the energy your body needs from fats you eat (and in the beginning, fats on YOU) and not the modern energy source Carbohydrates.  It's a metabolic change and is perhaps as hard as giving up caffeine, or smoking.  I've done both, so know.  You have to give up sugar, and sugar is a drug.  And a toxin.  

This diet is recommended to Type 2 diabetics, many of whom go into remission on it, and also to young people with epilepsy.  

After three weeks on this I'm in complete 'fat adaption'.  I know this because of the reaction on my Ketostix.  

In the beginning you widdle on one and it's neutral. Then you ditch carbs, and start eating fats each meal to satisfaction and no further, and only eat when hungry.  After three days or so you start creeping up the widdle scale on the Ketostix bottle toward dark purple, once in dark purple after ten days to a month, you go back the other way as your liver stops panicking and gives you masses of energy from healthy fats you eat.  Livers apparently get less fatty on this diet.

I've just had a blood test and my triglycerides are low, my good cholesterol is sky high and my bad cholesterol is rock bottom.  I've lost 12 lbs.  My blood pressure is as low as it was when I was 21, and I'm 51!

It's not Atkins, it's a way of life, and after one week off carbs I could walk past a tray of pastries and ignore it completely - carbs no longer have hooks to hold me.  This is extraordinary

We're pescatarian mostly, with the odd BBQ meat blowout, and it's possible to get fats from veg sources enough to satisfy.  Online recipes for veg meals tend to be cheese heavy but I use coconut oil to fry with (very stable at heat), coconut oil as the fat in recipes, and avocados everyway which possible.  Eggs also.  My girls prefer veggie food and eat carbs at school so I can't give them fat heavy meals much, they'd get like mountains in no time at all.  So there's a bit of fiddling but it's not impossible, and I have  now amassed a mass of keto hacks for recipes to suit.  

I downloaded a Keto Meal Plan from ketosummit online, it's free and comes with a shopping list at the end. All you need for your first month.  I can't stand bulletproof coffee but have two small decaf fresh coffees with cream for breakfast every morning.  It's not a diet, you never feel hungry and if you like pork scratchings - these days they have the same calories as a bag of crisps but it's fat calories not carb calories  - then you'll be delighted because Mr Porky is my favourite fatbomb snack.  

Have a dig around. Dietdoctor has a lot of information, and recipes to get you started.  

I'm currently trialling keto bread.  Lots of recipes put eggs in the bread but that makes it cake, IMO.  I've a new one to try.  

Edited by Happymama

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Happymama , I've seen good reports about the keto diet. Well, not so much a diet, as a different way of eating.

It sounds like it's working well for you.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"