The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Happymama

New Symptom - painful tugs across scalp (And Valerian)

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Balanced
Happymama

This is fun.

Not.

Pain on scalp, spreads like the electric shocks on my foot, but I feel the tugging there and elsewhere, and pain.  Very like the neuralgia I had years ago.  Tugging there too. I get tugging on my hands sometimes.  

Painkillers no help but I've read up on Valerian - I sleep absolutely rubbish, probably the perimenopause but also during the New Moon lunar phase, I average 8 hours across three nights.  Valerian apparently helps with nerve pain, ( A source of GABA) as well as being good at reducing anxiety and also getting you off at night.  I'm not on any other meds, rarely take brufen or paracetamol because they never help with my painful symptoms, and the migraine I get goes with aspirin, and that's rare too.

Took some after an hour of scalp hell and it seemed to work.  Perhaps I expected it to ...

Edited by Happymama

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Happymama , that sounds very frustrating to say the least, When you say painkillers are no help, which ones have you tried and failed on?

When it comes to pain, we have to differentiate between physical and neurological pain , as each are treated differently. See the following article :-

pain.jpg
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

There are two main types of pain in multiple sclerosis: nerve pain (neuropathic pain) which is caused by damage to the nerves in the brain and spinal cord. This includes altered...

Does this provide any assistance for a way forward?

There's also an article about sleep, which may help:-

slleep-a-z.png
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

Poor sleep is common in people with multiple sclerosis, with about 50% of people with MS reported to experience some form of sleep disturbance. Despite this being well known...

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Balanced
Happymama

Hi, I don't get disturbed by my symptoms when I'm asleep.  The electric shocks - very painful, almost daily at times - in my foot have been coming for ten years and it takes a right belter for me to even notice it normally.  I did once wake up in spasm, but that's by the by.  

The new moon phase disturbs my sleep, there's a direct correlation using a sleep app I used to have.  And I'm perimenopausal and that mucks up your sleep too, with the huge swings in hormones.  I'm a natural early bird, rarely sleep past five and have to go to bed at ten. The problem is waking very much earlier - two am say. I rarely get back to sleep.  After three days I'm a night's sleep down.  After six I'm in trouble.  I bought Valerian to help with that and it does.  I take two at bedtime and that's it till five.  

I'm only on NSAIDS, Valerian is a new thing.  I take Boswellia Serrata too for my arthritis but none of the NSAIDs or Boswellia mask the electric shocks. Helped with the pain during the muscular spasms, given that my lat dorsii spasm felt just like having a broken rib for four days.  The lactic after was painful too.  

I accept that if the neuro electric socks get to a point where they become unbearable will drive me to the GP for stronger stuff, I absolutely refuse opiates, they muck my up completely.  

But the Valerian is a source of GABA and that regulates neuro activity so whatever helps, right?  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Happymama , I looked up Valerian and there's no reference to neurological pain relief.

Talk to your MS  Nurse about this problem. You may need a script for Gabapentin or Pregabalin. Neither are Opiates.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Sluggish
Marina

I don't get those type of electric shock sensations, but I do get what feels like a thousand wires shorting (vibrating) in my feet, legs and abdomen. I can't take Pregabalin or Gabapentin due to side-effects but I have found that Tegretol (or Carbamazepine) helps, not 100% but it does mostly reduce the sensations. It's normally given to MSers for TN but my neuro told me, when first prescribing it, that it can act as a pain killer for other types of (nerve related) pain. NSAIDs don't touch any of these neuropathic pains for me either. Tegretol's not an opiate either.

Clonazepam can help with sleep too. This, like Tegretol, is initially an anti-epileptic, and is usually given to MSers for spasms. I find it helps a bit with the sensation of short-circuiting wires, but not as much as Tegretol.

I can sympathise with the sleep problems, I get this weird insomnia too... I can be so tired that my eyes are burning and closing, I go to sleep and wake up an hour later, wide awake. I once tried Valerian but it unfortunately did nothing for me; I wasn't aware it could help pain too. When desperate, I now take a Sominex, which is an antihistamine really, and I sleep like a log, except it can make me a bit groggy the next day, so I now tend to take half a tablet and it seems to work the same but leaves me less or not groggy.

I haven't found any natural things that help either pain or the insomnia-type sleep problems for me personally. However, CBD oil, which otherwise does nothing for me except maybe help my TN, does tend to help me stop "ruminating" when going to sleep.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Balanced
Happymama

A friend takes Night Nurse to get to sleep.  

Valerian is brilliant at getting me to sleep.  I take one at half 9 and another at ten, and it works REALLY well if I've had a drink.  I don't wake in the early morning with it, get to four AM at the worst.  That's six hours.  It's not for pain.  It's to help you cope.  You can take it at spaced times in the day to reduce anxiety.  

Is Carbamezapin Robaxin?  I had Robaxin years ago and would never touch the thing again.  Affects the CNS.  Wiped me out completely, gabbling nonsense, dizzy.

I've another new symptom - patch on the back of my left leg that feels warm but is not. Burning.  On and off.  It's been very hot here, and it came on after.  Hmm ... 

Edited by Happymama

Sluggish
Marina
14 hours ago, Happymama said:

Is Carbamezapin Robaxin?

They're not the same drug, the generic name for Robaxin is "Methocarbamol" - the "carbam" part of the name could well cause confusion, though. Robaxin is a muscle relaxant, whereas Tegretol is an anti-epileptic and is also used for treating TN.

14 hours ago, Happymama said:

A friend takes Night Nurse to get to sleep.  

:lol4:  I'm not surprised, it's always knocked me out when I had a bad cold!

Those patches on legs... they're weird, aren't they? For months, a few years ago, I used to get a small one on and off on my front right thigh, a bit bigger than a 50p coin, that would either feel hot or come up with goose-pimples! Nowadays, my feet pretty much permanently feel like they're burning, and sometimes my whole leg(s) do too. Hot weather, like we've just had, can certainly bring out or worsen symptoms - heat and MS are notorious for not getting on with each other.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)