The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Macymay123

Goosebumps

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Macymay123

I am new to this and I'm still not diagnosed with MS but have some symptoms. I seen a neurologist twice and MS was brought up along with having to have a brain scan. First they want to do a emg/ncs to rule other things out, then a brain scan. I started 3 years ago having a horrible neurological itch. Then 3 months ago with tingling in my left leg that went to right also. At this time I also started to experience frequent goosebumps (piloerection) that come in lines or patches. It can be on my arms or legs. I can touch my skin and get them. I get them many many times a day. It can be 85 degrees out and I get them. I can not find anything on the internet regarding "goosebumps " and MS, or really much of anything on abnormal goosebumps. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen? I'm just really concerned 😔

Sluggish
Marina

Hi MacyMay123 and welcome! :welcome:

I get goose bumps sometimes, mostly as a small round patch on my right thigh, although I've not had it for a while now - but it's still very odd to see this round circle of bumps! I sometimes get goose bumps all over my legs or arms, whilst I might also feel a bit shivery, for a short while for no apparent reason. I must admit I've not heard the term "piloerection" before, it's good to learn a new word!

Maybe your goose bumps are a result of altered sensations or "Paroxysmal symptoms", as, if it is MS, MS causes nerves to go a bit haywire and can give us all sorts of unexpected sensations.

Altered-sensations.png
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

These unusual sensations are a type of nerve (neuropathic) pain. Although the feelings seem to be in the skin, they are actually due to damage caused by MS which disrupts...

paroxysmal.png
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

Paroxysmal is a term that describes the way that some symptoms of multiple sclerosis come on very suddenly, last only a few seconds or minutes and then disappear just as quickly...

When will you be having your tests? Please do let us know how you get on, and we're also always here to help and support. If it does turn out to be MS, it might well be that the reasons above are the cause of your goose bumps?

• Thanks 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Macymay123

Thank you! I go Thursday for the emg and ncs. If nothing there then I schedule my mri. I appreciate your help:)

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Macymay123 , you may want to enquire whether they would like to scan your spine, whilst you're there for the brain. MS "lesions" can lurk there too.........

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Balanced
Happymama

What happened at the scan, then?  

Prickling in the skin doesn't come close to the darning needles sticking right in though.  It's certainly an altered sensation!  

Macymay123

@Happymama my ncs and emg where normal. My brain MRI was normal. I'm left with no answers:( still continue with the same problems with the patchy goosebumps everytime I touch my skin or even feel a breeze on my skin. Its very uncomfortable I guess is the word and annoying ☹ just wish someone could give me answers. My neurologist has no answers said she has never seen this before, ot happened even when I was seeing her. I've waited 4 months and called 3 times for a 2nd opinion. No call back. Mayb they think I'm crazy haha. I've read that some ppl with fibromyalgia have this, but I dont have pain really just joint pain especially in hands. Hopefully someday someone can help me.

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Macymay123 , throwing your hands up in the air, exclaiming, "I don't know, I never seen this before!" is not an acceptable answer (as you well know!). If she does not know the answer, she should refer you on to someone who may know the answer.

Go back to your GP and discuss the matter with them. Your GP is your Primary Care Provider (PCP) and should be able to get the investigations reactivated.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Macymay123

@Stumbler I just feel like no one wants to help me. When I went to the dr the first time for this, I seen a NP, and she said it was because I was wearing non supportive shoes lol, it was a wasted visit. So then I seen my GP for the "goosebumps " and my neurological itch I have on my arms, it's called brachialradial puritis, I've had this for 5 years. It's a very horrible neurological itch to my arms, I wouldnt wish it upon anyone! She put meon gabapentin. Then she said, well mayb the gabapentin will help your legs! I was upset because she just wanted to mask my problem, but I told her I wanted to see a neurologist.  So I did. Still no answers. The funny part is, is that the gabapentin does help the goosebumps and tingling. So I would imagine that what is wrong is neurological. I have not had an mri done of my neck, well I have in the past, but how long does it take for a lesion to form?  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Macymay123 , Brachioradial Pruritus could be a good call as it seems to fit with your symptoms :-

ShowImage.ashx?PIC=4455&width=450
MY.CLEVELANDCLINIC.ORG

Learn about the nerve disorder that affects the outer forearm called brachioradial pruritus. The symptoms include itching or stinging; read more to find out about causes, diagnosis...

I can understand why you think it may be MS. It was mentioned as a possibility last year. Personally, I don't think it's useful to offer possibilities without definite evidence. It allows you to go away and catastrophize. Even if MS hadn't been mentioned, Dr Google would possibly have lead you down this path too.

MS, as a condition, is notoriously difficult to diagnose, usually involving the elimination of other conditions which can cause similar symptoms. These neurological symptoms, whatever the cause, may never seem to disappear, so we have to use medications, such as Gabapentin, to "dampen down" the impact. 

The workings of the brain are still shrouded in mystery, which is why causes of some conditions are difficult to identify.

I would keep the Gabapentin handy, to use as directed, and get on with your life and just accept that as we age our bodies will deteriorate. That's just a fact of life. So, live for the day, enjoy the present and enjoy your family. If you do experience further "medical mysteries", do ask your GP for an explanation and then record the details in a Symptom Diary. This would allow you to compartmentalise the issue and put it "in a box". You could then use your Symptom Diary in the future as a Clinical History, which would be useful in any future medical consultations.

There's some ideas for a Symptom Diary here :-

symptom-diary-a-z.png
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

Keeping a diary to monitor how your multiple sclerosis is affected by factors such as activity levels, medication, stress or diet can be helpful to you and your MS Team. Find out more in...

Do let us know your thoughts, as it does help to discuss these things.