The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Omilou

New diagnoses

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Omilou

Hi all, 

Back in may I went blind in my left eye and was told it was optic nuritis, I had a course of steroids an the sight came back. I had an mri done and it showed lesions on my brain, I have now been refered to see a neurologist my doc has reviewed my mri and symptoms an said he is 99% I have ms but can't put it on my notes as it has to come from the neurologist, can my doc be wrong or is this pretty much a Garunteed diagnosis. 

Thanks for your help. 

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi Omilou and :welcome3: to this board

Firstly, any mention of MS is always a shock, but also an explanation of symptoms and signs. Based on the events so far, your GP is thinking MS and right when he says the Neurologist must confirm this for a diagnosis.

So a sliver of caution - be as open-minded as possible - very difficult, I know - until you receive that diagnosis. Don't make any irreversible changes to your employment or financial status. Just look after yourself and learn some relaxation techniques. Eat healthily, keep active and enjoy life. 

Once the diagnosis is made, nothing will change in that it will only confirm what you know so far about the way your eye went blind. Come back to us as many times as you wish and do let us know the news. 

If there is any doubt you have MS, you'll experience mixed emotions. Come back then because several members have been through that too. The MS journey has many twists and turns so we need each other to steer a steady course.

Thank you for joining us.

• Thanks 1

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Hi @Omilou and welcome.

I don't have much to add the useful advice provided by @Shirl  above.

I must admit, I'm a bit ambivalent about GPs that give a 99% diagnosis. Is it helpful to you? There's "forewarned is forearmed", but what if he's wrong? I'm just not sure.

Anyway, take your time whilst considering what's been said. But, do bear in mind that MS is no longer the condition that it used to be. There are now medications available which are capable of reducing MS to just a name.

Just don't over-stress the situation. Stress is like a red rag to a bull with MS!

:moonieman: 

• Thanks 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Vegged Out
Shirl
41 minutes ago, Stumbler said:

I must admit, I'm a bit ambivalent about GPs that give a 99% diagnosis. Is it helpful to you? There's "forewarned is forearmed", but what if he's wrong? I'm just not sure.

My mind was working along that thought but my words only implied it. Thanks @Stumbler for clarifying the whole GP/Neuro scenario. And yes, learning to handle - or avoid - stress is key. A wise GP friend once said: Pressure in life is unavoidable - stress as a medical term is the result when we handle pressure badly.

I'd love to tell you @Omilou that I've become an expert at stress avoidance. Not so. But I must have improved over the 20+ years because it is always noticeable when I'm struggling with pressure as most days are now controlled and calm. Most, not all :wink2:

Shirley  "one day at a time"

derby42

Hi Omilou,

I was dx at 41 after having a major fear of ms. I refused to accept it and became a total wreck. I had a baby of 2 months and I took myself off to my spare bedroom (next to my loo because I was scared of suddenly wetting my pants) and because I could spend time on this forum which I did for many hours and for many months. My weight dropped to 8 stone, I hardly ate, my life was a nightmare. 

My point is; If you get a dx for definate this forum will get you through it, whatever you feel. You'll get endless support, advice when you need it.. laughs believe it or not! I was up all night often and made a host of chums..my kids grew up and they needed me so I had to get out of my rut and become  Mummy. ..Mummy is now Mum and my children are fine, I still can't walk but Ive become a damned good shopper and organiser and they have this lot on here to thank for that! Life goes on....just differently n I still haven't wet me pants 8 years later!

Edited by derby42
add
  • Love 2

derby x

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@derby42 , it's great to hear from you again. And sounding so upbeat and content. Well done you. :clap2:

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"