The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
1234icg

Muscle twitching

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

1234icg

Hi all

I have been diagnosed with MS for 18 months (remitting relapsing) and the last five weeks I have had muscle twitching! This has me really worried about motor neurone disease!! Seeing neurologist in 3 weeks!! Seen 4 different drs and they have tried to reassure me but it hasn't!! They all said it would be highly rare. Spoke to ms nurse and also said it would be extremely rare. Does anyone else have twitches. Grateful for any replies

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@1234icg , a twitch could be a tremor or a spasm, both are MS symptoms :-

tremors-a-z.png
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

People with multiple sclerosis may have tremor to some degree. It can range from being a mild problem with coordination (ataxia) to being a disabling symptom of MS. Find...

spasticity.jpg
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

Spasticity is a symptom of multiple sclerosis where the muscles feel stiff, heavy and difficult to move. A spasm is a sudden stiffening of a muscle. Find out more about spasticity and...

Hope this helps.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Sluggish
Marina

Hi @1234icg and welcome! In addition to the good points Stumbler's already made, is your twitching something you can physically see or is it only something you feel?

I ask as I have internal vibrations, in my feet and legs and abdomen; these feel like a multitude of miniature twitches but aren't at all visible. Even I, after years of having them, sometimes put my hand on my leg to see if it's something I can feel on my skin or in my muscles, but I never do as these are due to neuropathic pain and not muscle twitches.

I can get a twitch just below my eye, which is a mini muscle twitch, it's usually short-lived and doesn't go on for days.

If you go to the bottom of this topic page, you'll see a box called "Similar Topics", where there are a couple of topics by other members about twitching.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

1234icg

Hi Marina 

Thanks so much for your reply! 

With regards to the twitching I get them all over and generally can't see them but feel them!! 

Dr said it wouldn't be related to MS but could be Mnd which has frightened me so much so that I have spiralled into anxiety, panic and worry. I see Neurologist in two weeks so will see what he says. Dr's have done the basic neurological testing and have said they are good!! Just can't get rid of the fear!! 

Thanks again 

1234icg

@Stumbler thanks for taking the time to reply!! 

I wouldn't say these are spasms cos they not painful. They are like little pings going on around the body. Dr frightened me by what he said so naturally concerned now. I have read that people with MS do get muscle twitching but gp said that's not true. Seeing neurologist in a few weeks and dreading the appointment.

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@1234icg , twitches are the nerves making the muscles fire indiscriminately and MS is a neurological (affecting the nerves) condition. So, how your GP can say this is not MS-related, but then go on to suggest MND is beyond me. It really isn't helpful when GPs drift into "unfamiliar" territory and start suggesting conditions of which they have limited knowledge.

We're not Doctors or medical so we don't suggest anything regarding potential conditions. GP's should work in a similar way, but.........:gunray:

Please disregard suggestions. They only serve to stress you. Something which should be avoided!

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Sluggish
Marina

I totally agree with what Stumbler’s said about your GP. I’m also surprised they feel stupidly confident enough to even begin to suggest something as scary as MND. They should keep their wild suspicions to themselves and, instead, refer you to an expert, a neuro, preferably an MS neuro as you’ve already been DX’d with MS.

I think we all have different descriptions for the many and various sensations that we MSers get - and, yes, regardless of what your GP says, we do get all sorts of these!

When it comes to muscle twitching, in MS there’s something called “myoclonus” which means tiny spasms. It’s (I think?) partly what Stumbler was describing.

webmd-logo-fb.jpg
WWW.WEBMD.COM

Sudden muscle movements can be common and frustrating when you have MS. WebMD tells you why they happen and what treatment might help.

When it comes to sensations caused by our faulty nerves rather than actual muscles playing up, it’s what’s called neuropathic pain.

Altered-sensations.png
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

Altered sensations, such as pins and needles, burning or crawling feelings, numbness or tightness are common in multiple sclerosis. Find out more in this A-Z entry.

pain.jpg
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

The two main types of pain in multiple sclerosis are nerve (neuropathic) pain and musculoskeletal (nociceptive) pain. Find out more about pain in this A-Z entry.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)