The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Nigel

My experience as a MS Sufferer

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Nigel

I am very new to MS forums so I am not sure how things work.

Having been diagnosed in 2011 I am very dissatisfied with my dealings with the NHS, DWP and the electric wheelchair provider (Milbrook-What a shower! How do they continue to operate???)

I was rejected for PIP in 2015 and was persuaded to resubmit my application by my MS Nurse and with the help of Citizens Advice but was only accepted for the standard mobility benefit which amounted to some £22.00 a week (so not much!). I did appeal to the hapless DWP against this judgement but again was rejected.

I then went to a Tribunal in Ashford in November last year after a 15 month wait won my appeal and was awarded the standard living needs benefit and enhanced for the mobility benefit backdated to February 2018.

Is it just me who has been treated like shit by these hapless Government bodies or is it something that other people have experienced? 

Nigel Warnett

• Like 1

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Hi @Nigel and welcome.

For a Forum virgin, you seem to have taken to it like a duck to water. Well done.

And well done for your perseverance with your PIP claim. That must have been a nice (post-) Christmas present.

Yes, the whole process is designed to dissuade you from making a claim and expecting a fair award. From the moment that the mammoth application form hits your doormat, you are put off. The rigid timescales and the hoops they expect you to leap through, it's all there to turn you away.

The Benefits and work website (www.benefitsandwork.co.uk) publishes tales of woe and the statistics of how many cases they lose at Tribunal.

You've done the right thing in relating your tale here. It's important to get these things off your chest in a safe place. It almost absolves you of your frustration and avoids you creating an atmosphere at home.

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Nick

Hi Nigel,

Well done indeed for being able to fight your corner, no mean feat!  I recall my own bewilderment at having to face the unfamiliar territory of unfriendly authority and the struggle that ensued. A lot of us here have experienced all of that.  The most annoying thing is that there are plenty of people who are simply unable to take up the challenge.  So as Stumbler says, it's brilliant that you can relate what happened to yourself, other people will doubtless find that useful. 

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Balanced
Happymama

Well done Nigel for keeping going.  If they'd just employ medical professionals at PIP appointments, say Occupational therapist, there'd be less of this going on.  Over 60% of appeals are upheld so it's worth keeping at it, and good on you for going to further arbitration at Tribunal (our thanks go to the Romans for this - fancy that, a 2040 (ish) year old process!).  

You're an inspiration for the rest of us! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Are these "normal" symptoms for MS sufferer

Hi everyone... Firstly, thanks to all who read/posted on my first topic, very much appreciated. Anyway, just before xmas i had my 1st real diagnosed relapse. Twas not a pleasant experience, but, i was given a massive course of steroids for five days and told i would be fine. Somewhere around mid Jan i seemed to be doing better, however i have slowly deteriorated again, in my opinion, (and my wife's, who has been telling me for last week or more i was heading for another relapse :( Mega scary.... ). Do any of you have pain and discomfort walking on a daily basis? My legs almost gave out onme while in tesco with my daughter earlier, it was a shock for me and i am now unsure of what to do now? When do you decide to use a wheelchair? I mean i can walk, (slowly stumble i think is a more accurate description), but, only a very short distance totally wipes me out? I end up puffing and huffing like iv run a race. I have been getting my words all jumbled up again and my speech is affected again, (my mum told meon fone earlier). I have just finished a course of antibiotics so it not an infection. I have pushed myself a little bit but i am used to being a hundred mile an hour person.... (well, i used to be....). I actually rang my ms nurse and asked her advice. Should i use a wheelchair, walking sticks, etc and explained i dont know if or when i need them? When should i decide to use them, etc. She said they will assess me when i go in for my next hosp appt at end of feb. But, after what happened today? It's laughably, as i was stumbling through the shop trying to keep up with my 8 yr old daughter i was thinking, "i can see why sticks would be of use to me now". Doh! Too late... two minutes later i said to the lady in tesco, "i need to sit down", and just plonked myself down next to her counter. If i hadnt sat on that counter id have hit the floor.That was a first for me... I asked my daughter if i had embarassed her and she said no, so that was ok, but i almost cried, sat there with all these people fussing me. I felt.... I dont know how i felt but i wanted to cry... Im finding it a bit wierd lately, i thought i would be fine, but i seem to be back where i was just before my relapse?. So, sorry for rambling on, but, is this life now? I mean i try to do something, anything, and after only a small ammount of effort im totally wiped out. My legs are uncomfortable and unsteady to walk on, i get all jumbled up in my head if put under any sort of pressure, (you should hear meon the phone with anyone official... Phew... its odd). I often feel slightly giddy and unsteady? Sometimes, even just turning my head to look at someone talking is odd because i turn to look at them and it feels like my brain slowly catches up in slow-mo, its odd.... I just feel like im falling apart? My ms nurse said because im coming out of a relapse and that i had a quote "major infection", (suspected urinry infection), that i should just give myself time to recover and all would be well. I must say i have major doubts. Please tell me what "normal" life feels like with ms cos im dumbfounded.....

in General Discussion about MS

• M.S sufferer running marathon to raise money for M.S Society.

Hi all I am a 21 year old sufferer of M.S and I am running a half Marathon and a Marathon this year to raise vital funds.   Two weeks ago I ran the Inverness Half Marathon and in October I am running the Loch Ness Marathon.   Please click the link to read my story and, if you wish, to donate. Please feel free to share the link if you would like.   Any help would be really appreciated.   http://www.justgiving.com/stuartrose89   Thank you very much Stuart   http://audioboo.fm/boos/249631-my-year-ahead

in General Discussion about MS

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.