The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Jez-benign

Corona risk

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Jez-benign

Just wondering whether someone with MS and fatigue (not taking any medication) would be considered in the "underlying health condition" risk category for corona virus? 

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Jez-benign , if you were to receive an answer to this question, I, personally, wouldn't trust the answer. It's best to ask a medical professional, who probably won't know the answer too! :what:

Just generally, we are immuno-compromised, so our immune systems don't work properly. Our immune system can attack us,  causing inflammation and nibbling away at the myelin sheaths that protect our nerves.

Our immune systems can be activated when we're fighting an infection, for the duration of the infection. This can cause a flare-up of our MS symptoms, referred to as a "pseudo-exacerbation". This is not therefore a proper relapse, just a temporary flare-up until the underlying infection is cleared.

Let's hope that that's as bad as it might get for those of us, who don't take Disease Modifying Therapies ( DMTs). For those taking DMTs, they should review the advice from the MS Society and MS Trust, or the Bart's MS Research Blog.

The following may be useful too:-

Just keep washing your hands and take care.

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Jez-benign

Good advice, thanks 

Sluggish
Marina

A bit of semi-humorous advice here:

cropped-bg-v1-2-1-270x270.jpg
MULTIPLE-SCLEROSIS-RESEARCH.ORG

Early morning Light breakfast reading…..It seems the UK Government want to use to “herd immunity”, so enough people get infected, recover and have immunity such that the chance...

• Face Palm 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Jez-benign

😊 

Busy
Gosport Nancy
On 14/03/2020 at 09:01, Jez-benign said:

Just wondering whether someone with MS and fatigue (not taking any medication) would be considered in the "underlying health condition" risk category for corona virus? 

I would go by the advice posted here to check with a qualified person

In 2015 I spent almost that whole year fighting off what I guessed was a virus (hard to tell what it was, because I hadn't recovered fully during that year)

I eventually got to see a GP in early March the following year because by that time I was falling asleep randomly and was having visual and auditory disturbances. I was sent home with no diagnosis and no treatment and told I might have COPD (no cough so have no idea why he thought that might be)....I didn't get to have the lung function tests as a couple of weeks later I woke up from a coma in ICU following collapsing at home and later going into cardiac arrest.

I still don't know what happened and have had no reason given for the flare up

Balanced
Happymama

Nancy, viruses are known to attack the heart occasionally.  Even to teenagers.  

Busy
Gosport Nancy
35 minutes ago, Happymama said:

Nancy, viruses are known to attack the heart occasionally.  Even to teenagers.  

My heart failure and the autoimmune disorders were triggered by a virus back in the late 80's. I was 26 at that time.

Jez-benign

I guess the answer is that with MS we're all compromised to some degree due to immune disorders, but probably not as at risk as those who have weight, diabetes or asthma against them. 

Balanced
Happymama

FWIW, hand sanitising seems to work. My two teens started college this year - blended learning so there two and a half days a week - and usually they get colds a few weeks after they start in the autumn, and a few weeks after they start after Christmas.  No sign of any colds in anyone yet.  This should bode well for the flu too (I've been texted to ring to book for a flu jab).  

So keep sanitising, distancing and masking up.