The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Donaya

PIP Tribunal Success

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Donaya

Hi all, if you were refused PIP by DWP and have not appealed i urge you to do so as MS is a life changing disease. 

I applied June 2019 then appealed, last year Oct following my face to face assessment Sept. This was refused, i then appealed by Tribunal which took place July 2020 via telephone. A Doctor, Judge and a representative from DWP asked questions based on the what was reported up until the date of assessment (sept 2019) they did not want to hear about now. 

Anyway, this was not a scary experience. In fact it was easier than the DWP assessment, they wanted to hear how the RRMS impacts on my day to day life. 

The decision was upheld and i was awared PIP standard rate. 

4x 2 points awared and 4 points awared fot mobility.  Interestingly DWP scored me ZERO in all areas!!! I will be back dated from june 2019 and entitled to PIP until june 2022. 

Be brave, fear nothing and make sure you stand up for MS by claming what you are entitled to. Do not be put off by a Tribunal. My opinion is DWP have no idea what they are assessing with MS, lack understanding to the hidden yet highly self limiting symptoms that do not fit nicely into their generalised tick box questions. DWP are likely to score people with ZERO like me, dont be put off... appeal with a smile! Surely living with MS is far harder than anything a Tribunal can throw at you. Good luck all. 

• Thanks 2

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Donaya , thanks for sharing this with us.

You're right, the more success stories are posted on the internet generally, the more people will be encouraged.  And we can build up a critical mass mass, which will hopefully start to educate the DWP and the Assessors.

We can but hope.

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Donaya

@Stumbler

Stumbler! Good name, I guess my name would be Dory from the film Finding Nemo... atrocious memory at times oh and a hand that likes to be independent! 

Most certainly people with MS must be their own advocates and not stop until they have the outcome they are entitled to.  If we do not make a fuss it will continue, from my experience the DWP assessors not only aim to fit your responses to their tick boxes, they have the audacity to make assumptions based on the person they see before them not by what is reported to themin terms of difficulties and the impact on day to day functioning. For example i do not fit physical characteristics of what one may visually perceive as disabled. However it is the disabling symptoms that cannot be seen that cause me the most difficulties, unfortunately such symptoms do not fit the DWP framwork of assessment. 

As evidenced in reserach the majority of PIP Tribunals are upheld.  What is needed is competent and knowledgeable professionals who understand MS in its entirety, along with the varied disabling symptoms we experience that have a unique cluster for us all. 

The joys! 

• Like 2

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Donaya . You're up in Essex. That used to be my old "stomping ground". I got out of London as far as Ilford, until I cut the London ties and moved down to the South Coast.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Donaya

@Stumbler Small world, Ilford was my stomping ground given i lived there for 25 years! 

Enjoy the day :@)

• Like 1

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Donaya , I probably "stomped" a few years before you got round to your "stomping"! :lol4: :elephant:

Take care

Donaya
  • Funny HaHa 1

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Donaya , is Donaya your name? It's very unusual and pretty, x

Donaya

@Stumbler  forgive me for delayed response MS and heat = crazy brain fog and word searachsearching for me! Prob don't help having a newborn. Donaya is a combination of names, its not my name though but thank you for the lovely complement. On looking at that name, i agree its kind of fabulous lol. Was just looking into to weather changes and impact on MS. The past few days the heat has been ridiculous and ive noticed i feel somewhat MS-y. Good news i can see the lightning attempting to say hello! 

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Donaya , yes, MS and heat is not a good combination. Ask Uhthoff all about it, https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/uhthoffs-phenomenon .

Aw, a newborn. That can't be easy, due to the above. You got your priorities right by postponing your response to a more suitable hour.

Ha, Donaya, a combination of names. Well, Donald Yasmin, it's a pleasure to meet you. :lolbash:

Take care and look after yourself and the babe. x

Donaya

@Stumbler you are a funny man lol. Baby is easy other than the 23.30 until 01.30 colic hours. As long as i get 7 hours sleep im okay, cannot afford to be sleep deprived with MS as mine plays up = sound like I've been to the pub! Cooler day today whooop whoop! I got my PIP letter just now, back dated payment to be paid to me just under £3.5k so today the sun is shinning inside for me although raining outside. Enjoy the day 😇 

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Donaya£3.5k is a nice way of making the sun shine. Methinks that baby will get spoiled.

Stay safe and take care. :flowers2: xxx

Donaya

@Stumbler  she would do if it wasn't  for her 19 year old sister 🤐. So ive worked out my bedtime is now 2am lol, i was worried that my MSy ways would impact onme if sleep deprived, so far so good!  MS flares more likely after birth hopefully i will continue to be okay. Wonder if i would be able to manage a night out clubbing 🤣 Nighteo Stumbler😇