I’ve had fatigue for years. For at least the past year, if not longer, I’ve been feeling more and more tired, and lethargic and apathetic.
Last week, my heating broke down. I was extremely lucky to find an excellent plumber, the best I’ve ever had, and he fixed it. The problem wasn't with the boiler but he was a bit dubious about the boiler, as he has a 6th sense when things might go wrong and he advised me to get a carbon monoxide monitor (which, in itself, got me a bit worried). I got one, with a digital display so that I could see the pp levels, and set it up the night before last.
Yesterday, the monitor’s alarm went off... To test it, to make sure it wasn’t a one-off false alarm with a new monitor, I turned the boiler off for the night (to be on the safe side whilst sleeping) and then turned it on again this morning. Within an hour or two, the monitor’s alarm went off again. So I’ve now had to turn the boiler off permanently till the plumber returns and I'll most likely need a new boiler - wrong time of year for this sort of thing, though!
The CO level wasn’t super high when it triggered the alarm, at 99pp and 102pp, but was higher than the “safe enough” levels of 35-50pp, hence the alarm being triggered. Edit: in-between alarms, the readings tended to be between 20 and 49pp.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include those we can get with MS, such as fatigue, tiredness, dizziness, headaches, even neuropathic pain, and non-MS symptoms like nausea. (I should maybe find a suitable link to add to “Conditions that are similar to, linked to, or mimic MS” in our Resources)
I now don’t know how long the CO levels from my boiler have been too high, and I don’t know if my worsening fatigue and lethargy are due to MS or to CO!
So, if you don’t have a CO monitor, I’d advise to get one! (The one I got was a FireAngel CO-9D)
This is a handy link showing CO levels and at what levels symptoms can occur:
Carbon monoxide Levels that Sound the Alarm | Kidde
What are the carbon monoxide levels that will sound the alarm?
Hi, I am new to this forum so I do apologise if I have not done this correctly.
I was diagnosed with RRMS last August after first getting Optic Neuritis and then bad legs.
I am a website designer so thankfully I am able to work from home most days and venturing in the office when I am feeling well.
I would say my fatigue is the worst thing, I am sure many of you will agree. I take Amantadine, eat healthy and get lots of sleep but still feel bad. I recently got married in Vegas and it was the first time I felt a lot better, the dry heat I think really helped me.
The recent hot/humid weather in the UK has done the opposite, it has made me spend days in bed and being unable to work.
My wife and I have been thinking whether it maybe a good idea to go abroad for 4/6 months to see how I am. I can still get a works visa for NZ and I am seriously thinking of going to work there and also travel to see how I am.
Has anyone been to Oz/Nz and found that the symptoms have not been as bad?
I know heat is a bad thing, but for some reason I felt great the other month in Vegas, It maybe a holiday/wedding high but clinging on to the thought that dry heat may actually help me.
Any advice/help would be appreciated.
I haven't been diagnosed with MS, recently diagnosed with ME but I like all of you here so I've stayed :-)
Anyway, I have a dreaded work night out tonight. I say dreaded because it's Friday and by now I can just about function. However, having pulled out of various nights out using different excuses, I decided if I went on this one I could get out of a few more to come!
I am so tired and I know I have been out when feeling like this once before and spent the next few weeks going through a really bad patch of tiredness and pain and I got very down.
Anyway, I know I will need to really take it easy after tonight and I am already prepared to maybe take Monday off work so I can recover quicker but does anyone have any tips on how to get through the evening without feeling like talking takes too much effort and you just want to curl up in a ball and sleep?
I am going to try and grab a 20 minute nap when I get home but any tips for feeling a bit brighter?
(I haven't told work about my ME)
Hi everyone - hope you are all surviving!
I am seriously struggling with fatigue at the moment, it's unrelenting, despite napping and pacing myself as much as I can with two young children!
I wondered if anyone had any handy tips to help them cope with the dreaded fatigue? My gp suggested armatindine (sp?), but I don't really want to take more medicine if possible, I already rattle!
Thanks for any help you could offer
Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.
If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.
The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.
The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.