The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Michelle7070

Yippee, I have had the Vaccine

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Michelle7070

I just wanted to say that I am currently having the Ocrevus treatment and am over 50, so I was given the opportunity to have the Covid Vaccine, which I was so pleased to have.

The NHS are amazing for the system they have organised to make this a safe and speedy operation.

As for the vaccine, I have to say that I suffered quite a horrible headache for about 4 days and my body felt like it had been 10 rounds with Mike Tyson, but all said and done, this was nothing compared to what may have been the symptoms should I have contracted Covid.

I wanted to write this as there seems to be so much negativity around the whole situation, the way that I am looking at it, is that I am here, I am able to have dinner with my husband and chat to my children and am looking forward to welcoming my first grandchild into the world.  This seems very mundane, but they are the things that make me smile and appreciate being alive. 

I hope that everyone that is on here, is keeping safe and avoiding this awful virus.

Sending positive vibes to you all, thank you for the chat and information that has kept me sane through not only this current situation, but also through my MS journey so far.  Keep up the good work everything you post and your replies are so valuable.

Michelle

• Like 1

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Michelle7070 , the vaccination team came and got me a couple of weeks ago too.

I wasn't expecting to be called anytime soon as I didn't consider myself as vulnerable. I had a phone call on the Monday, asking if they could come round the next day - I'm housebound. I was so shocked that I just agreed and didn't think to question anything.

I was jabbed by 09:00 the next day. No ill effects, just a mildly sore arm.

It's an impressive operation by the NHS.

:moonieman:

• Like 2

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Sluggish
Marina

That's fantastic news for both of you! Do you know which vaccine you were given, and have you been given a date for your 2nd jab?

I'm in group 5 (65+ yrs-old) and not on any DMDs as I'm SPMS, so hopefully it shouldn't be too long before they start on my group next.

Michelle, I'm sorry you had what sounds like an awful reaction but glad you're over it now. Thanks also for your kind words about what has now become a really quiet forum!

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi All

I had mine on Wednesday. The NHS experience was brilliant, a consortium of 4 GP surgeries, including our own. I even had one of our GPs do my jab.

Since then, I was unwell all night long Wednesday - hot, restless, could not sleep, awful headache. Yesterday continued in the same way. Then last night I slept like a log and woke this morning fresh and happy! But my arm now aches and feels heavy.

@HairyPete had his two weeks ago and was exactly the same, possibly more feverish. We both had Oxford AstraZeneca but he does not have MS.

We are BOTH very glad to be on the road to some kind of normality, eventually, we assume!

Waving to you all 👋👋

• Like 1

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Procrastinating
Stumbler

I had the Oxford AstraZeneca. Well, I think I did.. With the lack of after effects, perhaps I had a placebo........ :whatsup::lol4:

• Funny HaHa 2

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Vegged Out
Shirl

Well @Stumbler it hasn't dented your GSOH! My arm hurts now. I'm being rather precious about it considering what I went through last year!

We keep rolling along, getting nowhere in particular but deeply grateful for loving our home and each other. What else is there in life other than the obvious deprivations!

• Like 2

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Sluggish
Marina

Well, rather belatedly as I was beginning to think I'd been forgotten about, given that I'm in group 5, I finally got my vaccine last Saturday, the AstraZeneca one. It was the doctors from my and the other local surgeries doing all the vaccines, and I didn't even feel the jab, which surprised me. 

I fell asleep on the sofa later in the day, and was so tired in the evening that I went to bed early, and slept a further 11 hours. Woke up the next morning with a whopping headache, and my left leg was weak and wobbly and would nearly gave way under me. For fear of falling over due to my leg, I used 2 sticks to walk about the house, and had to keep my leg straight whilst not bending it at all, when I normally only use a stick when out and very rarely when at home. Luckily, the leg problem improved a lot within a few hours. A couple of hours after I got up, I suddenly felt hot and sweaty and found I had a temperature. Oddly, and again luckily, that only lasted 2 hours, and my temperature returned to normal. The headache (migraine?) lasted all day. I slept for 2 hrs in the early afternoon, and again fell asleep later on the sofa for 3 hours, as I simply couldn't keep my eyes open, and again went to bed early. The day after, I was almost back to my normal, I just still felt a bit on the sleepy side.

And no sore arm either, or rather, just the very occasional tiny flicker of a momentary ache that was barely noticeable.

All in all, I'd say I had pretty mild side effects, mostly the enormous sleepiness and the headache, for which I'm so grateful given what I've seen others have gone through.

Marina

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Marina , it doesn't surprise me that your MS had a minor "grumble"!

The vaccine is creating antibodies and as we know, our compromised immune system doesn't like anything interfering with it.

Glad you recovered quickly.

• Thanks 1

Balanced
Happymama

I've been very careful with lots of sanitising and mask wearing and the spawn have not brought home their usual colds from college so their sanitising is working too.  I swear I'll never stop with it.  

I had the flu jab for the first time two months or so ago and felt rough after until exactly 24 hours after.  

I had the AZ first dose one month ago, went to be bed aching and felt beyond rough at three am. Had rolling goose bumps up by body that HURT.  Took two brufen and a pot of herbal tea and went back to bed.  By lunchtime, 24 hours later felt a lot better but tired.  

I'm sure if it all has set off new stuff in my legs though.  I do wonder.  

Next dose is 4 July.  

Sluggish
Marina

I had my 2nd AstraZeneca jab last week. Having heard that side effects could be worse after the 2nd Pfizer jab but less after the AZ jab, I was expecting to have milder, if any, side effects. Not quite so...

Firstly, I had to have the jab in my right arm as I fell over 2 or 3 weeks previously and had badly bruised my left arm, leaving it still bruised, sore and achy. The position of the chair made it a bit awkward for the nurse to reach my right arm. Having not felt the jab the first time, I hoped it would be the same this time, except I most definitely felt it and jumped as a result. That left nice little blood spots all over my shirt.

I again felt sleepy on the day, like I did with the 1st jab, but not quite as badly.

The next day, my legs deeply ached, with my left leg worse than the right. I only had a very mild headache, barely noticeable. And I generally felt more wiped out than I normally do but I wasn't falling asleep all over the place like after the 1st jab.

But, I had something else really weird! Also on the day after the jab, the ball of my left foot progressively began to hurt, so that by the evening the pain made it as good as impossible to walk on it. I had very badly bruised that foot in the fall I had, and suspect I might have bruised/fractured toes/metatarsals, although I didn’t have pain after the first couple of days after the fall unless I touched any of the bruises. Initially, I wondered if I’d somehow done something to my toes when going for the jab (in my slippers!) that my foot should hurt so much. Then I later looked at the sole of my foot to see it was puffy on the ball, which is when I realised the pain was coming from the ball of my foot and not my toes. The next morning, I was on the phone for about an hour (!) and the pain and puffiness magically disappeared after I hung up! I’ve put this down to “muscle and joint pain” as an adverse effect. I couldn’t get to speak to a GP about it, all the surgery could tell me was that they’d passed it on to a GP and that it “had been noted”.

My arm is still achy, sore and heavy, albeit a bit better today. So I’ve had to sleep on my back for the past few days as both arms have been too sore to sleep on my side.

• Thanks 1

Marina