The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
MrsCB

SPMS help

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

MrsCB

Hello everybody. I have SPMS and have horrendous pain in my legs - has anyone any advice or suggestions for medication that might help? I already take Duloxetine and Pregabalin at their maximum dose.

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Hi @MrsCB,

Duloxetine and Pregabalin are OK-ish for sensory pain, e.g. the burning, itching, pins & needles, etc. They're not so good for musculo-skeletal pain.

The different causes of pain have different treatments. The following might help :-

pain-resized.jpg
MSTRUST.ORG.UK

Pain

Do contact your MS Nurse to  discuss this issue further.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Downwards

Hi Mrs CB

It sounds like you suffer the same horrendous leg pain as myself.. and it IS nothing short of horrendous! Neuropathic pain...I take very little pregabalin as I can't tolerate it.. I know it might sound daft but the only thing that maybe helps me.. I like to think it does.. now and again i get a bit of respite from the pain... I'm in agony as I type...is folic acid.. i take 400ug a day without fail and altho the pain is hellish bad it seems worse if i dont take it... maybe its all in my head.. but if nothing else i do know what your going through... please check with Dr or ms nurse if you decide to give it a go. 

Regards Fran

Edited by Softsqueezy
Adding txt

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Medication for spms

Hello everyone! I need a good rant so reckon I can get away with that here....Well we all know that officially there is no treatment for spms and the lines labs tend to trot out (more tests needed) wear a bit thin when you get to my age. So I've kept my ear to the ground, and asked for referral to neurologist. Upshot is that with his approval I've been taking high dose simvastatin (80mg) and continued with HRT (tibolone). This seemed a reasonable strategy given the phase 2 trials (UCLH) which indicated that the high dose statin MAY slow down brain atrophy; plus it reduces the risk of strokes etc when taking HRT (over 10 years now). All fine, then last week American scientists' results suggest that prolonged use of statin s may interfere with the activity of stem cells and may cause accelerated aging! Oh, what to do! With ms we're already combatting tiredness and slowness. I've halved my statin to 40 mg but perhaps I should phase both this and HRT out now. I next see the neuro in December. I know the GPs and ms nurse wouldn't have an opinion. I know I'm asking questions no one can answer, but I just don't know what to do!!! Thanks for the rant. or that kind of thing... Jill xx

in General Discussion about MS

• Curious rrms vs spms

I am just a bit curious, so if I can pick your brains, so to speak.   I read all your posts, those of you who suffer from rrrms and those who have progressed, and I just had a question. For those who knowing had rrms and have since progressed, do you still have relapses like in rrms, or is it just a case of feeling ok one day and rubbish the next? I just wondered what the difference is for you.   Sorry for being nosey, but I just want to understand this more if possible.   Sam x

• SPMS

Hi,   Saw this article and thought it might interest anyone who has been diagnosed with SPMS.   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23327835   Think you might have to copy and paste the link into your address bar.   Gill xx

• SPMS

I just wanted to know if anyone else found the SPMS words so difficult to digest. I am really struggling (I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2001 and SPMS 2 weeks ago) and just wanted to know if anyone else went through a sudden emotional falling-off-cliff feeling too. I have so many worries and am re-evaluating everything in my life in totally fatalistic ways. I’ve been crying a lot and feeling scared and lonely and decided I would look at joining a forum. Hopefully things will start looking brighter soon, and maybe the forum will be part of that.   I’m thinking, like with an initial diagnosis, that doctors should offer at least some words of support or suggest something to read or someone to talk to – anything! Rather than just saying “come back in 6 months and we’ll talk about maybe taking you off your medication”…like that’s it –nothing more we can do - our jobs done – now just go away and deteriorate!   [sorry about such an emotionally leech-like post – will also post positive ones in the future – I hope! (I’m a relatively proactive positive person in general!)…]

• Potential treatment for SPMS?

Check out this link guys.   http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-news/2012/10/potential-treatment-found-secondary-progressive-ms   Using the cholesterol lowering drug, simvastatin, may potentially help those with progressive MS. At long last some good news for those who are offered very few, if any, treatment options at present.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.