The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Eastendgirl

Meds for neuropathic pain

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Stressed
Eastendgirl

Just been reading some old threads on here about Gabapentin vs Pregabalin.

I've been on Gabapentin for 2 years and have put on a lot of weight, the Gabapentin is also good for helping with sleep and when I've left them off, I've found getting a good night's sleep impossible, leading me to think that I'm already dependent on them.  So my GP suggested switching to Pregabalin, however on reading up on them, it seems they are just as bad as Gabapentin for weight gain and becoming dependent.  I've tried Amitriptyline in the past for neuropathic pain, but am very sensitive to meds and they just make me feel awful.

Does anyone know of anything else I could try, or is it a choice between weight gain or being in pain and not able to sleep?

Sluggish
Marina

I can’t take any of those three meds. Gabapentin made me gaga and very dizzy. I put on 6 lbs in a week with Pregabalin, and had other side effects. I can’t take any antidepressants as they affect my adrenalin and I get all sorts of awful side effects. From what I’ve heard, it seems many of our meds have weight gain as a side effect  :censored:

However, I’ve found that Tegretol (Carbamazepine, of the “Retard” type) helps with things like my burning feet and inner vibrations. I was originally given it for TN, which is what it’s normally given for, and discovered by accident that it helped my inner vibrations. I’ve heard other MSers say it helps their other neuropathic pain too. It’s not without side effects as, sadly, no med is. I’ve had a variety of side effects with it over the years which go away when I stop it but which, oddly, don’t always come back when I go back on it! I put on 2 stone in weight several years ago, and a couple of years ago figured it was due to the Tegretol. When I totally stopped it, I lost the weight. I then went back on it a year ago and haven’t really put any weight back on (touch wood!), so now I don’t know what caused the weight increase! Tegretol can also act as a pain killer and can apparently sometimes help with depression.

Some people find Clonazepam can help a bit, but I don’t know how it compares to Gabapentin or Pregabalin. It can also help with sleep and is taken at night to prevent the daytime sleepiness it might otherwise cause. I take this too, and it can take the edge off the inner vibrations, etc, when I don’t take the Tegretol.

For sleep, I’ve found a good CBD oil helps me to stop ruminating whilst trying to get to sleep; this is as CBD can help with anxiety. It doesn’t help me personally with much else, though, although many MSers find it helps with all sorts.

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Nerve pain

Hi all,   Haven't been on for ages but wanted to ask about nerve pain, I came off plegridy during covid and have been ok until I acquired more numbness in my right torso and it is sore sometimes, I originally acquired numbness on my left torso in 1990 but with no pain, wanted to see if anyone has anything similar, the pain is primarily more noticeable when moving in a certain way, it might not even be that but thought I'd ask, I'm 55 yrs. Hope everyone is keeping the best that they can.   Cheers Stephen

in General Discussion about MS

• Leg pain

Hi to all haven't been on here for a while, just been plodding on with life with a few hiccups along the way, i've been on  Gilenya for 6year's come April well taken alternative day's been ok till last few week's my leg's feel so heavy and hurt all the time, I have episode's of feeling like my leg's are cold inside so weird feeling, from the minute I get up I ache then when I stand pain in my leg's start  is this normal? this sight has alway's been great for  help xx

• Arm pain?

Hi there, I have a symptom but I dont know if its ms related. My arms ache when trying to lift things. Even a cup of coffee or a book feel like a ton weight. Sometimes I just cant do it at all. I  walk up my stairs with the help of a bannister either side but last week the pain made me fearful of falling and my arms also felt weak. It gets better then worse.  

• MS Pain relief

Hi my name is Moray and I have had Ms for 10 years as I was misdiagnosed, and since being diagnosed three years ago with MS, I have been given many forms of drugs, none have helped since the side effects were awful, Copaxone injections, Painkillers, Antidepressant's. At the moment I am taking nothing as the doctors don't seem to know how to help anymore. I am disabled and rely on 24 hour care and in constant pain and very depressed. I rely on my partner for everything including help on the computer as my hands and arms are numb and painful, #I even find it difficult to use my mobile.   I don't know where to turn anymore and am so depressed and in pain, Can anybody help or advise. I am a very positive person and have fought cancer but this has me beaten.   Blessings Moray

• Medical marijuana strain for pain?

I just want to know if someone has any experience using a certain strain of marijuana for pain relief? One of my friends got me to try his vape with cannabis infused juice but we have no idea what strain of marijuana was used for it. It really gives you that relaxing feeling and somehow comforting. I don't know if it's the punch of the highness that marijuana gives but it does work. So I started reading article and news about medical marijuana strains and how would you put it to work. One of them is http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/hindu-kush/. The potency of the strain when it comes to pain is very high. I don't know if this is true coz I don't really care with the names or strain back when I was young and smoking it. I would really like to hear any feedback from you guys. Thanks In advance

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.