The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Happymama

Cold virus doing the rounds ...

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Dead
Happymama

Anyone else?  

Am sitting here, my kids have both had this cold and their friend whom we give a lift to college to had it too, and their brother and half of Amazon MME have it too. I have a sore throat and am aching.  I'm having to sort the aching from the electric shocks etc, to try work out what's this virus and what's not.  None of us have had Covid.  

I'm sucking Ninja Strepsils every two hours to try slay the sore throat before it gets ingrained.  Might have a lemsip before bed.  Then I can take Brufen later if I need to.  

I'm so tired, and have to drive the spawn and their friend to Durham and back all next week.  The traffic is horrible, I can use the motorway but it's a lot further and my left ankle doesn't like the clutch on hills any more.  Every hill start knocks a bit off and after a week, Friday is very tiring indeed.  This week will be purgatory.  

I'm working on a bottle of good Cotes du Rhone.  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Happymama , I think it was unavoidable, given Government policy on Covid.

Hopefully, if you've been double-jabbed, it will just be like a bad cold and nothing more severe.

Get well soon

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Sluggish
Marina

Sorry you’re feeling like this, @Happymama !

Maybe the article below might explain things a bit? Also, I’ve seen reports that people who’ve had both vaccines for Covid can have the symptoms of an everyday cold if they catch the virus (or no symptoms at all). And Covid seems to be running a bit rampant in schools (maybe not surprising!).

“The return of schools and the arrival of autumn means common colds and other respiratory infections are firmly on the rise, spreading coughs and sneezes, more severe illnesses, and prompting some to report their worst colds ever.” ...

“Symptoms of Covid-19 can often be similar to symptoms of other illnesses such as the common cold. So it’s important that if a patient does experience symptoms of Covid-19, such as a high temperature, a new continuous cough, or a loss or change to sense of smell or taste that they get a PCR test immediately, and on receiving a positive result, self-isolate for the required period of time.”

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

After 18 months of social distancing, scientists believe people’s immune defences have weakened

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Dead
Happymama

Yes, and we're testing daily with LF tests from the kid's college.  

I've had both jabs and had a really nasty reaction to the first AZ - felt awful, temperature etc.  This is just a cold though. I've had a flu jab too but that was ages ago and might well have been leftover stuff from last year, it was a long time before this year's mix.  

One twin has had it and is now better bar being a bit stuffy a week later, one is still getting over theirs and couldn't taste breakfast but it had returned by lunch.  One once lost their smell and taste for a week when they were younger.  They've all had one jab and the next is to be booked in the next two weeks.  

It's just because for 18 months we didn't let our immune systems get that bleed-through of minor niggles to practice on. My kids always had a cold after the summer holidays in the October anyway and another after Christmas every year since starting school but none others (which was unusual, most small kids have 5 or 6  a year but mine live with cats, dogs and me not very retentive about cleaning) Shopping trolley handles have a soup of infection and that's where I did get most of my bleed-through from, I suspect plus the kids coming in from a school full of bugs.  But it's not quite time to stop cleaning them yet.  Covid Delta is a thing, still.  Counts round here are dropping, though.  

I don't get colds, not had one like this since I had H1N1 at the end of 2009.  Just a sore throat one time which was seen off by Strepsils Extra, one leaf, in a day, and maybe some red wine.  

I'm holding my own with the Strepsils.  I have an ancient history of tonsillar abscesses, and also sinuses that get so blocked they bleed to relieve the pressure.  Both need antibiotics.  Both are an AVOID AVOID AVOID situation.  They hurt.  A lot.  

Am waiting for my Pfizer topup.  DS has had both his now too, and he caught the cold as did the rest of Amazon MME.  

Freshers in university are dropping like flies, apparently.