The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
jayjill

Reaction to vaccines

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

jayjill

Hello again!  I have had a bad reaction to the second Pfizer jab and the flu jab which I had two weeks ago. After a few hours I cannot move my legs at all. Last time, this resulted in me falling in the shower room (I needed a wee!) and Dave phoning 999 so I could go to hospital by ambulance.  I am now due the booster jab which is apparently stronger, so concerned that I needed to manage this situation, I phoned the GP.  He said perhaps I shouldn't have the booster so I told him that medical consultant had advised that getting covid would be a lot worse than this reaction (clears up after two days). GP then asked me what I  would like to happen. I said to be admitted to hospital via A&E before my legs went. He then said he would write a letter explaining the situation to A&E but GPs have no power to tell A&E what to  do.

On reflection, this leaves me feeling out on a limb. I've been advised by an admin to phone 111, which I will do tomorrow.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had bad reactions and also, what advice would you give please?

Stressed
Eastendgirl

Hi @jayjill that sounds quite scary!  The documented evidence doesn't suggest that people with MS would be likely to suffer a reaction to the covid jab, but there are always exceptions and you may have been one unfortunately. It's possible you may be offered a different type for the booster to the first two, it might be worth asking the question beforehand.  If you have an MS Nurse, also speak to her about your concerns and see if she can suggest anything.

I hope you get some advice that will enable you to make the decision that is best for you.

Edited by Eastendgirl
typo

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Hi @jayjill.

I believe this issue is caused by the vaccine triggering an auto-immune response. That's understandable as the vaccine is an unknown intruder. As we know, our immune systems are compromised by our MS condition and just don't work properly.

Any activation of our immune systems are likely to aggravate our MS symptoms, as anyone that has had a UTI will testify. How severely our MS symptoms would be "aggravated" is very much a personal situation as everybody's MS is different.

This "aggravation" to our MS symptoms is short-lived as the immune system deactivates fairly quickly. A couple of days is realistic. Whilst this MS activity is tantamount to a relapse, it is in fact regarded as a "pseudo-exacerbation".

What to do with the Booster? Well, it's definitely safer to have it, as a Covid infection could illicit an MS response as bad as the vaccine.

Personally, I would have the Booster, but "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" for the following two days.

Good luck.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

jayjill

Thank you, Eastendgirl and Stumbler for your helpful and informative replies.  I definitely need to have a plan in place for post booster care....will think about it. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Covid--19 Vaccines and DMD

Morning all, I hope that everyone is keeping safe as they can at this awful time.   I just wondered if there was any information about the new vaccines that are going to be available and those of us on DMD treatments.  I have had 2 course of Ocrevus which I do appreciate lowers my immunity, but this new vaccine has got the live virus in it, so that "normal" people will be able to build an immnunity, so really my question is, if my family have the vaccine, am I going to be at risk?  My daughter (who lives with me at 20!) is a care worker in a residential home, so will be offered it.  What are the risks of me catching Covid-19 if she has the vaccine?   Can anyone offer any answers or direction.   Thanks all, I really do find comfort in the information I read on here.   Michelle

in General Discussion about MS

• Delayed reaction to excercise

Hello All,   On Friday I went for an early morning swim. I've not been swimming for some time because of the foul and cold weather.   Had a good swim, didn't really overdo things. Yesterday, I didn't feel too bad at all, although I expected to.   But today, some 48 hours + later, I feel dreadful. Fatigued beyond words, and muscle aches I've not had for some time to this extent. Hips, upper thighs, upper arms, neck and shoulder blades.....you name it, it aches.   I've not had this sort of 'delayed reaction' it's normally the very next day. I thought I had got away with with post excercise stress....clearly not. Anyone else had a delayed reaction to exertion ?   Scully x

• reaction to avonex

Hello! This is my first time on this page, and am so glad I have found it. I have had MS for 8 years and was on rebif until I started avonex 5 months ago. Last week I had a huge reaction to my injection and came out in a huge rash with blisters all over the inside of my mouth. I am alot better now but still not 100%. Because of the weather I only saw GP's which weren't my usual one. I have no idea if it's ok to just stop avonex, but obviously I cannot inject it again. Has anyone else had anything similar?

• Avonex Reaction

Folks,   Had a bit of a reaction with my injection last night. I usually get the flu like symptoms, funny enough when I inject into my right leg, but last night was a bit off the scale. I took two paracetemols, 40mg of Amiltryptiline then injected the Avonex. After about ten minutes, The bottom half of my vision in my left eye became distorted as if it was under water watching waves. This lasted for about 10 mins.   The flu like stuff kicked in by two o'clock and has been particularly painful since.   Is this something I should be concerned about ?   Andy

• Gabapentin - Normal reaction?

Have tried to send an e-mail to ALL you lovely people to wish you all the best for the festive season, but didn't work, so hope you can pass on.   Also a question-I saw a new neurologist last week, she was really nice-said the most important thing was to talk, which i've been trying to do since dx   Anyway, she prescribed gabopentin, which I started today. one tablet and I am all over the place and to increase to three. Is this a normal reaction? and does it settle down?   love, Elma.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.