The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Happymama

fasting diet

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Balanced
Happymama

Since the kids went to uni, I started having porridge for breakfast, and of course this fills you up for hours (as well as those betaglucans sorting the cholesterol out) and then eat a large meal at 2-3pm and then not at all.  12 hours later I go into metabolic switch to keto, as my liver has run out of glycogen to power my body.  This burns fat and sugar.  So I'm keto for around 6 hours.  

I've lost a size since November.  This is a 6/18 fast, so I eat in the six hours and fast for 18. I can do this every day, it's a bit of a struggle getting enough veg so I have a portion of fruit juice (with the bits) with breakfast, so that's one.  I have weekends off (wine) , croissants for breakfast and only ever feel hungry in the afternoon when it's time to cook.  Within the six hour thing I can fit in a slice of Genoa with Cheshire cheese too.  Two meals and a snack is a day's worth of calories.    They do say don't eat for a few hours after you rise, which works for me, as I just don't want to even though my blood sugar is non existent. I walk the dog, make a pot of tea or coffee, feed the cat, empty the D/W/put washing in etc and then sit down with my breakfast.  

Fasting can reduce inflammation as well, which with our problems can only be a good thing.  Also it's good for dementia as it raises a hormone in your brain that builds nerves, plus diabetes of course because insulin is reduced, and blood pressure can benefit too, apparently.  

You can do longer - 8/12 is common. Don't forget the fast is also overnight when you are asleep.

Breakfast like a King - porridge with cream and muscavado sugar on, or a lavish cooked breakfast, Lunch like a prince - the main meal - and dine like a pauper - nowt bar herbal tea and the occasional tot of the good stuff for moi.

I've applied for a job with the DWP, and will have to get up earlier to walk the dog.  I might have the porridge before I go and then hope I can have my midday mealtime quite late, should be able to schedule that myself around clients.  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

It sounds like it works for you, @Happymama, and that's the main thing.

There's only anecdotal evidence that dieting is beneficial to MS, but if it introduces a healthy lifestyle that makes you feel better then it's win-win.

Well done and good luck with the new job.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Balanced
Happymama

Didn't get the job, but I've lost a stone since November when I weighed myself on the scales last weekend, and put a pair of size 14 jeans on.  These went through the wash and next time, they were looser, noticeably so, just a week later.  

On the downside, spasms in my glute, quads at the top, and groin have reduced me to walking with a stick at times, and I have to go up stairs on all fours.  I don't think the diet is going to stop my MS but I do think losing weight will help my knees and rebuilt-twice ankle.  I gained it during the menopause and now that it's done I clearly don't need three meals a day any more which is a lot cheaper too!  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Happymama , great news on the weight front. And what a bonus to be saving money too.

Shame about the spasms. Have you ever tried Baclofen?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Balanced
Happymama

No access to those meds, not DX yet. But I know what I have.  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Happymama , Baclofen can be prescribed by your GP. for spasticity.

Busy
Gosport Nancy
On 19/03/2023 at 21:48, Happymama said:

No access to those meds, not DX yet. But I know what I have.  

Same here. I'm in my 60s and have had the symptoms since I was in my late 20s. I have given up on looking for a diagnosis as my GP is one of many I have seen over the years that is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I muddle along. BTW fasting has changed my world. I wouldn't say it's helped the symptoms much at all as I also have heart failure and its a bit of a jumbled mess right now really