The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Heste

Too Fat, Too Slow

55 posts in this topic Last Reply

Heste

I had my appointment with my Neuro Physio today.

Why are neuro physios always pretty young girls?

She kept grabbing my arms and legs and saying "try pushing me away". Now why would I want to do that? :heartbeat:

To cut a long session short, she pulled me about like all these neuro types do and then put meon a treadmill for a few minutes. In the end she said she wants me to draw up a list of target distances to walk. She thinks walking is the answer. I am not sure this is going to work but I am going to give it a try and see what happens. I cant walk far or fast and I dont think I am going to walk further or faster with practice.

Next week I see someone about my diet. My wife thinks I need to cut out some of the huge amount of suger I add the gallons of coffee I drink every day. :hehehe:

Regards,

John :hehehe:

Gaynor

Ooh sugar is the beast :howdy: I don't have it with my tea or on my cereal (a trickle of honey if anything for my mini shreddies!) but resisting sweets for me is the tricky one.

Tips for weight loss that I can give are limit your bread (and do make it brown!), try and eat a low sugared whole grain cereal, brown pasta and rice (Uncle Ben's do a good brown rice in a box) and lots of fruit and veg as snacks.

The other big no no is eating more than your body needs. You actually need quite small amounts of the right foods and probably half of what most people (including me) put on my dinner plate.

So if you do some of these Dr Gaynor's tips you should feel lighter within a week :hairraising:

Right I'm off to practise what I preach!!!

Gaynor :greencar:

Gaynor

.......oh and I can vouch that walking does definately help and when I'm not doing my 30 mins or so a day with the dog (i.e when Tim does it over the weekends sometimes) the belly get's definately starts showing it's Michelin capabilities for a small scooter!! :hairraising:

Heste

Tomorrow I am seeing the NHS Diet guru. I have been keeping a diary of everything I eat and drink (well, Alex has been keeping the diary). It will be interesting to hear what the dietician has to say. Perhaps we will have some surprises. Most likely she will say cut the sugar in your coffee and eat earlier (we tend to eat dinner at about 10pm).

Before I go to the hospital I am going to try out that new lightweight bow riser. So thats diet and exercise.

Regards,

John :hoop:

Gaynor

Wow, 10pm is late!!!!!! I couldn't do that!.. blimey you're like the Spanish!!!

Bet she pulls a face at that one tomorrow! (I'm guessing it'll be a woman anyway :hehehe: )

Have fun :hoop:

Gaynor

Heste

Well, Gaynor, you lost your bet. She said she wasn't that bothered that we eat late as my diet is all slow release stuff and so it wasn't going to make much difference.

But you were right in that she was a she.

As for my sweet coffee. That was where she hit hardest. I either learn to drink coffee without sugar or I faze coffee out. Alex doesn't think artificial sweeteners are a good idea and I don't want to learn how to drink sugerless coffee. So Coffee is out. Ha! I am not a slave to the coffee bean. I can stop any time I like.....where have I heard people talk like this before. Is there such a thing as a caffine patch?

So I have squash.

She didnt like that I skip breakfast on most days. But she liked what I was eating generally.

So sweet coffee is out and I am being weighed to see if that makes the big difference she thinks it will.

On top of this I still have my walking programme but I don't see myself walking off calories as I walk pretty slow and only for short distances. A weekly treadmill session is unlikely to help I think. I am back on the treadmill on Monday and then I have to drive to London, so I hope I am not too knackered by it. I can walk on the treadmill faster and further but then thats because I have a frame to hold onto and its all flat under foot.

The dietician was young and pretty too. Perhaps I am getting old. That or the hosiptal has very questionable recruting procedures. I expected Hattie Jacques.

Regards,

John :heartbeat:

Gaynor

Oh well there you go - mind you eating at 10pm is enough to cover you till lunch the next day I expect if it's slow release stuff! ... or the correct terminology of course being 'low GI' (after all let's talk the talk if you're gonna walk the walk so to speak!!)

Well I'm glad she wasn't scary :rofl3:

Squosh is ace - I drink loads of the stuff (the no added sugar variety). Did she tell you to go for that specifically or not?

Anyway good luck and I'm sure you'll let us know the progress :heartbeat:

Gaynor

Heste

Hi Folks,

I am seeing the neuro-physio again today. I am supposed to have devised a walking programme but I just don't think I can walk any more than I already am.

Every day I walk from the car park to my office which is about as far as I can walk in any one go. My walk includes a flight of 20 steps. It's a badly designed office. If I ever become wheelchair bound it will be almost impossible to get in. Technically there is wheelchair access but it's a long and winding route around the estate. There is a short cut but it involves a very steep slope and going via the goods lift.

Then I walk around in the office several times as it gets quite uncomfortable sitting for long periods too.

Oh well, I'll let you know how I get on.

Michelle

John,

Have you thought of investing in a treadmill? I find mine brilliant. As you say you can hold on to the frame and it's flat. I use the weight loss programme on our treadmill. I can't say that I have lost much weight,but my legs etc are definately more toned. Plus it's a great way of getting rid of the cobwebs in one's head. That's if you have any cobwebs lurking there :rofl3:

Ref young and pretty. I was hoping for a hunk when I went to neurophysio. I also got a young and pretty girlie. I did get a bloke once...he was okish :rant: My physio was a good giggle, but very strict.we both love Jack Johnson (singer) so it was refreshing to work my legs whilst listening to Jack. It would have been even better if he was there in person.

Gawd! I digress :thumbsup:

John,

Hope physio goes well.

Mish :heartbeat:

Heste

Today my physio tore off my arms and beat me to death with the soggy ends.

She gave me a very firm talking to about not doing my exercises and gave me a very stern look. However she has very pretty eyes.

Then she told me off for not having a walking plan.

So the new plan is...

I walk the dogs as far as I can every day with a view to increasing the distance over time.

I do my exercises EVERY DAY.

We have talked about a treadmill. I will look into them further. It sounds like a good idea. I can sit in a comfy chair while walking the dogs on the treadmill :rofl3:

Regards,

Gaynor

lol :heartbeat:

We'll therefore have to beast you in her absence between meetings :rofl3:

.......hilarious.

Vegged Out
Shirl

This is cynical, certainly not my usual style, but...has anyone ever asked a neuro-physio if they KNOW what is feels like when you've walked a Marathon...from your bed to the ensuite bathroom?!

It is great to want diet and exercise advice - well done for taking it all so seriously John. Ignore me!

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Michelle

Gaynor,

I have never beasted a person before. How do you do that? :bandaged:

Love Michelle :juggler:

Michelle

Shirl,

I have asked that question, and was told to break the journey up :bandaged:

Michelle :juggler:

Gaynor
:juggler:...I have my vays and means (said like the woman off Allo Allo!)

Heste

Yesterday I took a slow walk around Broadgate at lunchtime, then, in the evening, I walked with my wife and two of the slightly more sane dogs (much to the Damnation's disgust).

Then I did my stretching and posture exercises.

Today I walked around broadgate again.

See what a good boy I am. :bandaged:

and yes, my legs hurt.

But there is more to this. Alex and I are having a race to see who can lose a stone first.

John :juggler:

Gaynor

Good for you John. Any weight loss will be obviously a bonus but don't go too mad too quickly!!! I think my bike ride on Sunday is catching up with me as I've been like a wet wellie today and a bit achey, so be careful.

I think it's just use and the more I make it a regular thing the better I'll be afterwards. I'm sure you will get used to the increase of exercise too once you've done it a couple of times. Go steady at first and I hope you don't ache too much. :juggler:

Gaynor

Heste

I have lost 4 pounds in weight so far. I had hoped to lose it a bit quicker than this but at least it is going.

Regards,

John :flowers2:

Gaynor

John,

They say look at about losing no more than 2 lbs per week anyway as a sensible weight loss.....did they tell you that? That way you're not losing the will to live and won't binge at some point when you've finally got fed up with being too harsh on yourself in the eating stakes. Dieting for big goals in a short amount of time rarely works and it all usually goes back on again once abandoned!

So from that; your success so far is :cry: and well done :flowers2:

Gaynor

Michelle

Excellent news John,

Your weight loss seems about right for the first week. It's from then on in, that you should expect to lose 1lb - 2lb.

Keeping it off is the secret :cry: Wish there was a magic pill :hairraising:

Michelle :flowers2:

Heste

Thanks Gaynor,

fed up with being too harsh on yourself in the eating stakes

Remember you are talking to a Vegan :cry:

I am not actually making any huge sacrifices on this diet. I have completely cut out tea and coffee and thus cut loads of sugar. Cutting tea and coffee was not hard as being Buddhist it is in keeping with the Eight Fold Path not to alter consciousness or be subject to craving. The rest of my diet remains largely the same.

My body prevents me from over doing the exercise side of the diet.

So I think this diet and exercise plan is going to work on the long term.

Regards,

John :flowers2:

Heste

I am seeing the Neuro-Physio again tomorrow. I have lost weight which I think was mainly due to cutting out my over sugared coffee. I have been walking, but probably not enough. Its difficult as it makes my legs hurt and I tend to avoid things that hurt.

On Saturday I manned a stall at the local school fete. This involved standing up for about 4 hours and I am still recovering. I was out shooting Arrows this morning too. But I am struggling. I really need to stop for a while.

I have been doing my balance and posture exercises so I shouldn't get beaten up this time.

Regards,

John :flowerface:

Gaynor

Hi John,

Good luck with the appt, hopefully lke you say they won't be tooooo nasty! :wink3: I know what you mean about the leg aches so yes it can put you off a bit knowing that that will probably be the result of substantial leg use.

Mind you saying that I suprised myself in that I did my usual town trot and was again a good few hours; but with no after effects this time.... yay!!! :flowerface: I made sure I had my light comfy pumps on.

I've lost some weight too (about half a stone) so I've now entered the realms of being ok for my height weight (If you get me) But I will keep on as I do feel better and now not missing all the bad stuff so much.

I hope your legs are feeling a bit better today now? Like you say take it easy for a couple of days if the exercise police will let you :wink3:

Gaynor

Heste

I got a pat on the head :wink3: for being such a good boy.

She is very impressed at the weight I have lost. When I last saw her I weighed 15 st 5lbs. Now I weigh 14st 10lbs. My target is 12st 5lbs.

She is going to get me a new foot support as my old one is starting to split.

Then we started talking about fatigue. She wants me to keep a Fatigue Diary. I have started doing this. Basically its a diary showing what activities I do, the time and a rating (1-10) to show how fatigued I felt. It is dead interesting. I can't wait for the next installment.

Regards,

John :flowerface:

Gaynor

Aah very good. :flowerface:

Keep up the good work :wink3:

Gaynor