The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Sign in to follow this  
Gaynor

3 MS sufferers' stories & views

1 post in this topic Last Reply

Gaynor

This account from 3 MS sufferers was very true to read and I thought a good talking point, should anyone wish to discuss their thoughts and feelings further on MS and how we're looked at by others.

Its from: http://www.abc.net.au/queensland/conversat...32.htm?brisbane

You can also listen to the related audio by viewing the above page.

Living with multiple sclerosis

Last Update: Thursday, June 7, 2007. 1:47pm AEST

Multiple sclerosis creeps up on sufferers initially, affecting them with pins and needles, or extreme tiredness or balance problems, but in its extreme cases it can cause partial or complete paralysis. No-one knows what causes MS, or what brings on a relapse - even whether it's genetic or environmental. Around 15,000 Australians are living with MS, and Sarah Ross-Smith, Mike Hemmingway and Fiona Hall are three of them.

Often it's hard to tell when someone is suffering from MS. "We talk a lot about it being invisible and for a lot of us there is pressure when you're just involved in your everyday life," says Mike. "You know people can't see that you're unwell, even though you might feel absolutely shocking. People will say to you, very well-meaningly, 'You look great!' It doesn't make you feel great."

Sarah had similar experiences, until she got a walker. "[Then] the penny dropped with a whole range of people - it was suddenly like, oh yes, she really does have MS, doesn't she? And the walking stick's very useful in meetings when people aren't paying attention!" she laughs.

"I'm getting into the habit of poking young boys on buses when they don't stand up!" adds Fiona.

MS does take control of sufferers' bodies. "I sometimes feel my brain is like a television screen when it's got static," says Fiona, "or you put a metal dish into a microwave and you get that sparking...You watch your body jerk off in a direction and you think, oh, how did that happen?"

"You can't rely on your body any more," explains Sarah. "I crossed the road once and started having some weird kind of attack and I had to sit in the middle of the road."

Mike agrees. "Often it is little things. It can be as big as walking or it can be the fact that you're at home and you can't pick something up, or you drop it, or you lose a word, like ''chicken', that you know... but it's just not going to come out!"

It can be very difficult on sufferers' children. "It's hard to explain what's going on when you don't actually know yourself. They want to know why has this happened and you can't tell them that... As my kids have got older, they've become more accepting of it," says Mike.

"My son was only two when I was first diagnosed, "adds Sarah. "After a while, he quite enjoyed it because he got to ride around on the walker and thought that was great... He actually said to me, 'When I grow up and get MS I'm going to use your walker,' but we went through a period where he was concerned he was going to catch it from me, that it was a contagious disease ... He wouldn't let me put on his socks or help him dress."

Currently, scientists are no closer to finding a cure for MS. "It's not fashionable, dear," says Fiona bluntly. "With MS you can twitch and spasm and that makes people uncomfortable."

"I think also because it doesn't have a high fatality rate, it's not necessarily been a research priority," says Sarah. "It's not a disease that typically affects children so again, there's not a research priority placed on it."

Sarah Ross-Smith, Mike Hemmingway and Fiona Hall

Gaynor

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• I would love to hear your stories

Hi! My name is Scarlet and I am a year 12 student who was diagnosed with MS last October. Because I am in year 12 I have been offered the opportunity to complete an EPQ (extended project qualification) which is where I choose a topic that I am interested in to complete an independent project on. As MS has recently become a very big part of my life I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to find out more about it. I would love to hear your stories from your diagnosis to more recent. I am especially interested in all your thoughts and experiences with MS treatment and research and how it has impacted your prognosis and lifestyles.  I would love to hear from anyone who is willing to share, this doesn't mean you need to have MS, it can just be someone you know who has it. I am still interested in your side of the story. Please also urge others you know to get into contact with me because I would love to talk/interview as many people as possible. If you would like to remain anonymous in my project that is absolutely fine, I will only use the information you give me if I have your consent.

in General Discussion about MS

• TN sufferers, how long

hi all, i was just wondering for those that suffer from TN how long do the bouts usually last and also how can you tell if its just a bout of TN or if its your teeth.   i will explain, i have suffered from TN in both sides of my face but lately its always in the right side of my face and always seems to be started with a tooth niggle from one of 2 teeth. even when the TN pain wears off a little if i put my teeth together or if i tap the 2 they seem sensitive. the TN plays up more at night tho the teeth are sensitive at most times, i have had very little sleep now for nearly 2 weeks and its getting me down.   i cant decided if its the teeth playing my TN up or the other way round. my dentist now knows that i have TN and i am worried she is going to say its that not my teeth without considering that it may be but this feels as if its the teeth starting it all off.   any help would be great folks.

• Any success stories?

Hi,   Recently joined as in Limbo.   What im looking to find out if its ok is :- Do you have a dx that is NOT MS?   Im interested to find out if people have found some light at the end of the tunnel! Folk that have thought they had MS but another dx was made and the person is happy with that and is now being medicated for it etc.   Are these forums the excpetion to general MS in the UK are most people in the situation where they have issue then are given a dx of MS and thats it, done and dusted.   Now i know there will be a few people that joined the site originally then have found out the dont have MS so maybe have dissapeared but id hope a few stuck around after making friends!   So in short can any tell me they were in limbo, have since been given a solid dx but its NOT MS??   Cheers!!

• Hi im Arlene, would love to chat to fellow sufferers

not sure if im doin this right but i'll have a go, ive been diagnosed for 3 years and im fine, just little blips so im happy with that, it would be lovely to chat to other people who know what im talking about x

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.