The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
WobblyGreg

Free prescriptions?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Fine
WobblyGreg

Got an appointment with MS nurse tommorrow and was going to ask her about this,but thought id post this in case anyone knows answer.

I asked at doctors reception and she said that MS WASNT on thier list of eligibility for free prescriptions!

Being the disbelieving type i rang the number given on free prescriptions in newcastle and asked them and they said the same.

Yet i have heard from other MS sufferers that they get free prescriptions, is this because they get it through MS nurse/hospital etc ? and how do they get it?

Any info

Vegged Out
Shirl

For many years, I did not qualify; I managed my prescription charges by using the 'season ticket' scheme. I now clam free prescription charges because:

1 - I have a permanent indwelling catheter

2 - I cannot get out to the pharmacy on my own

If you read the booklet about free prescription charges you will see how my reasons fit in with the criteria. Your GP has to agree with your claim and sign the form before you send it away.

My only grip was that I went 3 years with the inconvenience and difficulties of a permanent catheter before I realised I could claim; I was not told by the Neuro, the GP or the District Nurse. Pursue your own claim and see if your own symptoms fall within the criteria.

Good luck!

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Angel

Hi, I get my prescriptions free, I still don't have a confirmed DX of MS, but as I'm pretty much stuck in bed I can't get out to the pharmacy, and if I remember correctly, that's one of the criteria. If you're still pretty mobile and able to get out by yourself I don't think you will qualify unless you meet any of the other criteria. It's wrong, and like with most things it's a fight, but it may be worth discussing it with your GP, as they will have to validate any application for free prescriptions.

Fine
WobblyGreg

Thanks for that folks, it realy is crazy as MS is for life and its not like we are going to be in postion to be high earners and in a lot of cases unlikely to work at all.

I looked at some of other exeptions to rules and without being to harsh i think MS outranks a few of them for free treatment. It is a critical disease and it is said by some to shorten life!! how bloody seriously ill do you need to be to get free medicine...mad.

RedSonja

Don't you have an on-line chemist in the UK yet?

The health insurance company (it's different in Germany) has an agreement with one of the on-line suppliers. My Cop is not only free, I get a bonus of 5 Euro for each packet.

Maybe one of you could explore the possibilities of accessing the Dutch on-line chemists who also supply Germany.

Bibo ergo sum

Heste
I looked at some of other exeptions to rules and without being to harsh i think MS outranks a few of them for free treatment. It is a critical disease and it is said by some to shorten life!! how bloody seriously ill do you need to be to get free medicine...mad.

Hi Greg,

My brother-in-law has diabetes. He gets free prescriptions. I don't think I would want to swap MS for his condition.

However, if you know anyone with a slight cold looking for a swap I am open to offers. :hurra:

I also don

Michelle

I get free prescriptions as I live in Wales. That's politics for you!

Regards

Michelle :thumbsup:

Fine
WobblyGreg

Had meeting with MS nurse realy nice and helpful,referring me to physio and scan for bladder infection as may be cause of worsening stiffness etc,felt that i have now finaly got somewhere.

I will also look more into online drugs but as some MSers seem to slip through charge net i will play by ear,Nurse said i will get 3 months supply for one charge of 6.75

Sluggish
Marina

Ah... this is a topic that's come up several times on the mailing list. Some of us (myself included) manage to get free prescriptions whilst other don't. In going through my archives of the mailing list, here is a comment I made about it:

As MS isn't specifically listed as one of the conditions which allows one to get free scripts, it could be that it's down to your GP to apply for it under the "a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months" category, being as MS is a "continuing physical disability".

It's true that this category does seem to make it perhaps debatable with some doctors as to whether one "cannot go out without the help of another person" as MS is at the same time not a "Temporary disability". Rather (purposely?) silly phrasing perhaps! I can go out without the help of another person, but it didn't stop my GP from applying for it. Having said that, I seem to now remember that he said that it might be a bit "tricky" trying to get it, but he did succeed after all. So I guess it's a matter of how your GP (re)acts and how your Local Health Authority (or whoever deals with it) reacts too?

Try asking your GP and see what he says?

Eventually, we agreed that what Lula said was true:

I think it depends on whether your GP is sweet or not. Good luck anyone going for free prescriptions, remember you must tell your GP about your worst days and tell him you couldn't possibly get to the chemist on those days, therefore you qualify for free prescriptions.

The key phrase being "depends on whether your GP is sweet or not".

Good luck to those who try :rant:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sluggish
Marina

Another thought - if you can't get free prescriptions (exemption) and if you have more than about 3 scripts a month on average, you can get an annual pre-paid card for about

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Fine
WobblyGreg

Thanks for that marina, i heard about the one off fee few years ago when friend was on anti depressants,but had forgot all about it,

greg