The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
WobblyGreg

Refused DLA

119 posts in this topic Last Reply

Fine
WobblyGreg

Well after over three months of wating i finaly had a letter today saying i am not entitled to any care allowance or mobility allowance at any rate for either in other words theres nothing wrong with me i guess in the opinion of the faceless idiot in the DWP.

REASONS GIVEN

1.i can walk 5o metres

2.slowly

3.in an adequate manner

you need help :

because of anxiety or panic attacks

you do not need help:

to avoid danger

You do not need guidance or supervision when walking outside in places you do not know very well

This means you are not entitled to mobility component

During the day

You need help to

get in and out of bed

dress and undress

Although you need some help with your personal care from another person, this is not significant potion of the day or frequently throughout the day.

This means you are not entitled to care component.

I have made my claim based on reports from

your claim form

your hospital

Including details about any:

current treatment

medication

test results

symptoms

well apart from being told i have MS this is the worst news i could have had i realy cant describe how appalled i am that to have MS AND THE PROBLEMS THAT BRINGS IS CONSIDERED nothing by DWP.

i WOULD BE BETTER OFF MURDERING THE IDIOT WHO MADE THIS DECISION THEN PERHAPS AFTER NEARLY 4 MONTHS OF SOD ALL TREATMENT I MIGHT GET SOME HELP IN PRISON.

AFTER ALL HERION ADDICTS AND CRIMINALS GET FREE TREATMENT.

RedSonja

It is as well to help the truth along a bit when filling out forms like this.

Always assume worst case. Describe your worst day so far. Make it sound as bad as it really is, no being polite or reasonable, no stoicism, no false pride. Make a big fuss about the embarrassing things, like not being able to use the loo or bathe without help. Tell your doctor all about your worst days and get him to write you a helpful letter. Get one from your neuro and MS nurse too. If you visit the guy, use the stairs to get out of breath, and make sure you drop your stick on the way in.

Remember, your opponents have to deal with a great many fakers. MS is tricky, they only see you when you are having a good day, and they don't understand what it is like the rest of the time. Although their job is to save money they will give you your entitlement once you have convinced them that you really need it. Apply again and again.

You have been paying into these funds all your working life, it is your right and your entitlement to get something out, now you really need it. Don't take no for an answer.

Bibo ergo sum

Fine
WobblyGreg

Annoying thing is i did descibe worst day but did hold back maybe ,i put claim in before i realy knew how much you have to exaggerate,i phoned TODAY and was stuttering when i complained and took 4 goes before lady got my details as kept giving wrong NI number told her i didnt have strenght to open a bottle of juice so coudnt ease dry throat.

SHE HAS RESUBBMITTED CLAIM and said i can also go to tribunal about decision.

Just more hassle and stress,realy angry still and cant eat,perhaps thats the plan to make you so bad you can legitamly claim??

Jayneanne

Whoever said "Life was Fair"?

Isn't it a shame that when you tell the truth they just don't b****y well believe you!!

Good luck in getting a RETRIAL

Hate the system

JAXX

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

Michelle

I am glad that you've appealed against the decision.

Michelle :juggler:

Vegged Out
Shirl

I feel so angry for you because, Greg, having read other posts of yours here, I know you qualify for this benefit as well as the add-ons it will entitle you to afterwards.

Please, please, think about and answer questions for the worst day in every area of the form - you may not suffer in every area on one particular day. Also, just because you haven't got help all day now doesn't mean you wouldn't like to have that!

I hope no one will think I am being contentious or hard-hearted here. But cancer patients receive DLA as a right for, I think, 5 years, if they live that far, of course. No one looks at a cancer patient and wonders if they really need help - it is assumed to be so, inherent of their diagnosis.

So, why not MS?

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Fine
WobblyGreg

THE POINT ABOUT CANCER IS A VALID POINT.both my parents died of it so i know as the one who predominatly looked after them that it was crap, and know im not terminal,point is there are a lot of cancer patients who are cured,that is to say there cancers that are not life threatning if caught in time.

I saw an old neighbour who had a lung out 15 years ago through cancer he is fine and out at football and shopping and more mobile than me.

I work with 2 guys who have had testiclar cancer,known people with skin cancer(cricketers have it a bit)

Now i just think MS should be put in same critical catergory as cancer,MS doesnt go away with treatment .

I think its coz MS is for life [so lets ignore them as long as possible],god forbid they should fund more research,no profit in it.

Michelle

I sometimes think it's about how many folk the dla are allowed to sanction in a given quarter etc. It's also down to the doctor you see (althought they state they have nothing to do with the decision)whether you get the entitlement or not :candy:

Greg,

If the dla call you they may ask you if your condition has gotten any worse. I trust that it has, if you get my drift. To qualify for the mobility part of the forms, you must having difficultiues walking full stop. Every step must be difficult. You must also need help getting to hospital appointments etc. For example: if someone wasn't with you,you could fall over. So it would be unsafe for you to go out and about on your own.

Pesonal care: I can't quite remember the number of hours required for personal care. I can only give you a personal example of what happened to me. Andrew had to give up work to look after me, as I was unable to stand without any help. In reality it was almost a 24/7 job for him. Gee Wizz! I wish i could remember how many hrs of care you must be getting, before you qualify for this component. It will come to me. :think:

Please have a word with your doctor about this... I remember my doctor just looking at me and telling me that I had nothing to worry about as I wasn't swinging the lead. I wasn't at all convinced. I think it's awful how you have to jump thru hoops to recieve a benefit that's there to help you with your disabilty. The point is that many folk with a disability can't jump that high. :rant:

I do hope it works out for you!

Regards

Michelle :juggler:

cyprus_dave
Well after over three months of wating i finaly had a letter today saying i am not entitled to any care allowance or mobility allowance at any rate for either in other words theres nothing wrong with me i guess in the opinion of the faceless idiot in the DWP.

Don't despair.

As you have been waiting over 3 months for an answer, I dare say that by now your worst day has probably got much much more worse and is probably unbearable :juggler:

Dave

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it."

Christine

Grrr I totally get where your at with this one! I was refused DLA in December after a 4 month wait like yourself. I think they have a bog standard response as your explanation looks identical to mine!

I have requested a revision but have also got a solicitor to send in an appeal form.

Since applying I have done a lot of research on the subject and realize I was very naive

to attempt to complete the form myself. If I have to do it again It will be done by a pro.

It seems to be the norm now to refuse most people on their first application, mad I know! but even crazier that around 60% of people who go to appeal ( face to face ) then win their award. I dread to think how much this must cost the system??? but believe they rely on the fact that too many of us are too poorly to fight.

So don't let the system drag you down I say! give them a fight...

Good luck

Chris

Heste

Forgive me if I have misread the order of things, but am I right in saying that you applied before your DX? If so, did you inform them after you were DXed?

Is is possible that they may have asked your doctor/neuro before he had concluded a definite DX? This may have put your claim in a different light.

Regards,

John :juggler:

Fine
WobblyGreg
Forgive me if I have misread the order of things, but am I right in saying that you applied before your DX? If so, did you inform them after you were DXed?

Is is possible that they may have asked your doctor/neuro before he had concluded a definite DX? This may have put your claim in a different light.

Regards,

John :cowboy:

I think as heste has said when they contacted neuro/hospital that i hadnt had DX this may have been part of reason,my logic for this was that if i got refused by time i got the answer i would appeal(i think i was expexting refusal to begin with).The claim is backdated to original date so i thought get it in quik,think id read that this was best way as money is backdated.

If i waited for DX that could have been not till feb when my next appointment was due at neuro,and even then not guaranteed,it was only coz i made such a fuss about DX that he conceeded.

I was also perhaps to honest and did not exaggerate worst day and symptoms enough, i also think they just refuse half as a matter of course.I have resubbmitted form and rang them twice to say how this decision has caused me stress and that i am now under a psychologist and on anti depressents,slight exaggeration :think: also managed to blubber a bit and stutter :wink3: .

Going to Dr today to moan and get baclofen(my suggestion of course) as my stiffness has got worse i am blaming them for that as well,mention depression if she gives me anything dont have to take them do i?? got ear infection might say thats thier fault as well. :fingers:

Amazing the amount of crap you have to go through. :hehehe: Dr said[ you were to quick to rush your DX and get claim in ]:hehehe: i put her right! she did see my point of view ,trouble is when as they do ,earn a small fortune they dont understand how a few pounds can make a difference. to someone on SSP.

MY VISIT SHOULD BE FUN :flowers2:

Fine
WobblyGreg

Well i got a reply today saying that they have awarded me the lowest rate care allowance but have not awarded me the mobility part.

I need to ring them as although i sent a revised form in they dont appear to have read it.

They have said i can walk 50m although( as i have kept a photo copy) i quite clearly said i couldnt.

I am going to go through the care part again as cant remember ofhand what i put.

But im pretty sure i qualified for medium rate at least.

As for the mobility part i used the form from BHAS so was aware of the crafty way the DLA just use boxes you tick, and rely on you to expand on the limited options that gives to actualy qualify.

I still have an appeal lodged on first decision but going to have to ring them as i dont know whether this cancels that out??havent come on here well prepared but wanted to get it off my chest realy :flowerface:

Vegged Out
Shirl

Oh dear, they just haven't got the point yet, have they? As you say, time to get rid of your emotional reaction, then to sit and read back through your forms. If there are concrete mistakes, get right back to them but have your paperwork in front of you.

Meanwhile, pat yourself on the back - you got a bit of a result through persistence! :flowerface:

Michelle

Gawd! They can be complete block heads :flowerface: Keep on at them!

Regards

Michelle :thumbsup:

Fine
WobblyGreg

Trouble is when i was refused the original claim i rang them and the lady said she was going to pass on the changes i made on phone , she also said i can appeal (which i did) i also got another form as suggested and filled that in as a change to original claim,it was easier to do that than try and remember what i had put originaly. i didnt have printer working so couldnt photo copy original.

So realy i dont know whether this is result of phone call update or new form i sent?

If it is the former then its a minor victory, if a result of new claim form, a major set back as i filled form in as recomended :thumbsup: i dont know whether as they have changed original decision that cancels appeal or not ?? its all very confusing and they seem to be geared up to make it as hard as possible offering no info as to where you stand other than response to last letter,seems to be no cohesion.

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi Greg

These Govt departments vary in their ability to help us over the phone. I would think (but I don't know) that it might be a good idea to sit down and write everything that's been said and done in a point-by-point letter, affirming that you have both spoken about your symptoms as an appeal and submitted a new form (copy attached).

Sometimes we have to go right back to basics and hope the person reading your letter this time gets the bit between their teeth to really help you.

I hope this is useful advice. All the best. We do all feel for you. It's been a rotten time.

Gaynor

Hi Greg,

Just wanted to say I'm sorry how things have gone for you. I have absolutely no experience of claims or benefits so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on that one.

Do try keep your chin up though; we wish you well,

Gaynor

Aldo

Sorry to here of your problems with your DLA claim. I have had my claim accsepted, but refused the mobility componant. MS nurse says I should apeal this but i then stand lossing the whole claim.. I get the lower end of the scale, for me it is not about the money. how some pen pusher in an office can say i can walk without any problems or pain then that person needs to spend a day with me!

hope you get something sorted, have you had a chat with your GP/MS nurse? and given you some help?

Please ignore my spelling.. I struggle at the best of times!

goonasi

Incredable - Ive just been rejected on the very same grounds as yourself on 07.02.08

Ironic I have two parents both with MS and both get the DLA.

Iam on the phone now to appeal.

Thanks guys - really helpful site

Simon x

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Fine
WobblyGreg

This does seem to be a common problem,getting rejected then having to appeal .

A friend said that his MS nurse wrote 2 identical claim forms and sent them in (different names) 1 was rejected other got top rate care ,top rate mobility???

The reasons seem to be same ,in fact the its just luck which assessor you get i think.

Sure quota and budget come into it as well,my MS nurse didnt seem to keen to get involved and Dr just smiled and said i rushed my DX ??

Aldo, be surprised if they take the low rate away if you appeal i found the BHAS form helpful as it explains how an assesor looks at claim.

saying that i only got low rate care but not sure as yet if thats on phone update or form update.

realy got to ring them but kids are about and its finding right time.

Fine
WobblyGreg

Well i got a reply today saying that they have awarded me the lowest rate care allowance but have not awarded me the mobility part.

I need to ring them as although i sent a revised form in they dont appear to have read it.

They have said i can walk 50m although( as i have kept a photo copy) i quite clearly said i couldnt.

I am going to go through the care part again as cant remember ofhand what i put.

But im pretty sure i qualified for medium rate at least.

As for the mobility part i used the form from BHAS so was aware of the crafty way the DLA just use boxes you tick, and rely on you to expand on the limited options that gives to actualy qualify.

I still have an appeal lodged on first decision but going to have to ring them as i dont know whether this cancels that out??havent come on here well prepared but wanted to get it off my chest realy

update after phone call regarding above

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently the decision to award low rate care part,cancels out appeal.

The argumentative jobs worth at the Blackpool office told me i would get low rate mobility as guidance when out means i have to be blind and that higher rate means i have to have no legs!!

Most amazing lack of sensitivity i have ever come across didnt listen at all just trotted out the way it is written, i was getting more and more annoyed and she ended up ringing wembley to actualy find out what id asked her 10 minutes before she was quite the worst person i have come across and i am writing to complain about her and to also appeal as they have not even read the updated claim form i sent.

I realy hope the conversation was recorded but sure the tape will go missing when listened to.

Michelle

The argumentative jobs worth at the Blackpool office told me i would get low rate mobility as guidance when out means i have to be blind and that higher rate means i have to have no legs!!

This statement is totally incorrect! I'm off to my neuro appointment in a mo and will reply in length later.

Michelle

Fine
WobblyGreg

thanks michelle

greg

Vegged Out
Shirl

I was going to come in with exactly the same observation as Michelle. I have higher rate mobility DLA because I cannot walk outdoors even though I can indoors. You have every reason to feel upset, annoyed and very badly done by.

You must complain, Greg - most strongly but perhaps once you have got over this initial shock reaction, which is understandable, of course.

Michelle will no doubt be back to you once she is back from her Neuro appt.

It's all go this week!