The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
WobblyGreg

Refused DLA

119 posts in this topic Last Reply

Fine
WobblyGreg

I sent copies of the 2nd form i filled in, the one i think they ignored as they had overturned there 1st decision :think: I also named her and said it was wrong and nowhere did it say only to apply if limbless or blind, as i sent it to the appeal place at southampton and not wembley or blackpool it will be read by independant assesors.

Hoping she gets a rollicking,dont think they will upgrade the care allowance but hopefull of lower rate mobility.

I will take that for now, and then re-apply in few months after decision and get someone who knows the system to fill it out,

I complained at the fact they didnt take into account additional info. after requesting it.

goonasi

Absolute madness, following this thread closely as I have too have been told that I am not entitled. I phoned them the other day to appeal - the only reason I didn't call earlier was because I took there decision as a back handed compliment if that make sense !

How long did you have to wait for them to overturn there decision and award the lower rate at least ?

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

mayb

Maybe not the place to ask but how did you get on Mich?

With regards jobsworths I think there is a whole race of them. They get work in any place where the vulnerable need a patient and understanding person to help them through the unneccessarily complicated forms that are created to prevent you running off with money you are entitled to. They are frequently found in Government, front desk offices and are installed to save money from being spent on the people that are meant to benefit from it. They are sometimes found in Doctor's reception areas when you really need an urgent appointment and in hospitals when you are waiting hours to be seen, are miles from a toilet or a drink of water, and don't want to be called the minute you move. :think: They usually give a blank stare whenever approached in person or on the phone and repeat a mantra learned by heart or copied down on a list of wrong answers to intelligent questions. They have been on countless 'evasion' courses and can come up with the wrong answer to any questions or ways to divert you to a similar person in another office entirely.:swing:

Lets hope this time you get the one person in the office who actually knows what they are doing and are prepared to take the time to do it and explain things clearly to you, helping you to get what you are rightly entitled to after paying your taxes for that very reason. Not that I have an opinion on these things you understand. :heartbeat:

Mayb

Fine
WobblyGreg
Absolute madness, following this thread closely as I have too have been told that I am not entitled. I phoned them the other day to appeal - the only reason I didn't call earlier  was because I took there decision as a back handed compliment if that make sense !

How long did you have to wait for them to overturn there decision and award the lower rate at least ?

IT took from early nov to feb to refuse the claim then from then to now to give me low rate care, which has cancelled the appeal out, so have to then appeal again which will take the same time again.im not sure of dates ofhand as my head is swimming and i cant be bothered to look it up . i think its posted here somewhere as well. dont mean to sound rude im just exhausted and this has been going on so long i need to chill.

The system is geared up to make you give in.

I have got appointment with CAB next week as i admit defeat , i rang today to get address/phone of office in newcastle to complain about service but was put on hold so i hung up, its costing me a fortune in phone calls,

i tried website to complain about DWP as you can with all departments in health and security,but its a pdf document that when you open is not actualy a complaint form but a suggestion form as to how to improve service??

In other words you cant complain,you are then directed to the manager of office that refused claim so thats going to be succesfull isnt it :shakehead3:

I have sent appeal form back to southampton with a complaint inside,i have got someone to type /write a letter to local MP as im not good at typing.

To be frank you couldnt make this up my, wifes boss is a solicitor and he is flabbergasted he said to write to MP and CAB and to get head office address in newcastle which we are trying to do today,means more writing more delays more stress more expense.

Id love to get some anti depressants but on 400 hundred a month SSP and my wifes part time wage the priority is not medicine for me.

I can not believe if i was a terrorist living in UK i would be getting 20 grand a year to sit at home and plot death and destruction (recent news story)but as someone with a critical illness i have to buy my own stick and wait 4 months to even see a rehab nurse and still havent seen nhs physio.

I could rant on for ages but its not strictly MS so i wont.

I used the bhas form to help me but as i say they didnt use my resubbmitted form as they just awarded low rate to shut me up ,i know they didnt read it as they quoted wrong distance of walking figure.

goonasi

Hmm I applied near enough the same time and got my "not entitled" confirmation early February. Like I said previously I took it as a back handed compliment as I not happy being classed disabled ! guess Iam still in denial !

Do you have a MS nurse ? because I really nagged and screamed for physio along with bullying my Doctor and got it (approx 6wks wait) and has really helped - i am also going for a fitting this Monday for a plastic support thingy which should help with my walking.

Top Tip Your expensive phone calls - try this website http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php its great just enter the number your dialing and it should give you the land line number which generally sticks you front of the que.

Belucky speak to you soon

Simon

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

LalalaKirby

Mine was denied first time, and I wondered if I really wasn't disabled enough (I'm quite young, and I hadn't developed the MS Hug by that point), or if maybe I hadn't filled in questions properly, or something, and it made me worry. I left it, things got worse, and I tried again, this time really focusing on what the questions were telling me ("How far can you walk unaided?" went from some dubious answer I can't remember to "50 steps", which I bought a pedometer to check :hehehe:), and sent it again. A few months later, I got it.

My little brother, who's got Autism (all officially recognised and everything) had his filled in by the doctors, and his got refused as well. The doctors pushed at it, saying basically "No, he's a danger to himself and everyone around him, he's been in solitary confinement, and it got pushed through quick enough.

My mum got told, as the forms were being filled out for my little brother, that the DLA forms tend to get refused the first time. If it happens, just try again. Which we both did, it worked out fine.

I think its a deterrent to people who want to claim but aren't too disabled, or may be faking for one reason or another (e.g: want free money). Having their form rejected stops them from trying again, because they failed. People who are really disabled shouldn't have to go through that, but fight your right, and you'll get what you're entitled to.

You just need to re-apply.

Edit: Word-muddle! :p

I'm such a geek when I draw in breath it's with pixels!

Fine
WobblyGreg

Thanks for your replies lalal and simon, useful link that simon. :thumbsup:

I have an MS nurse but she as 90 other patients and didnt seem to keen to get involved ,didnt offer to help anyway just said its just the first step whatever that means :hehehe: ,trouble is i dont want to alienate her by having a go at her as she has got me appointments with rehab physio etc more than neuro did.

Just have to keep applying i guess, i guess they figure the stress they cause will exaggerate the progression of disease and then i will be to ill to care about DLA.

GREAT COUNTRY ISNT IT :rant:

Fine
WobblyGreg

http://www.mk-news.co.uk/mknews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=259984

sent e-mail to my MP DETAILING MY PROBLEMS AND HURDLES PLACED BEFORE ME.

ABOUT TIME THEY LOOKED AFTER DISABLED,outrageous the money that is spent on other things while disabled who cant fight like some groups of people get pushed aside.

Jayneanne

Good for you Greg :shakehead3:

I am a great believer in going straight to the top

Lets hope your MP is like minded

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

goonasi

Interesting to hear what they have to say if anything.

Received a letter today from DWP informing me that they are looking again at my claim form and will advise me the outcome within 11 weeks.

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Jayneanne

That's good news Simon

Best of luck

JA xx

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

Fine
WobblyGreg

Well i actualy got a reply from house of commons from my MP :shock:

Although she hadnt read my e-mail thoroughly and misquoted parts i had written it was a reply.

In short she found it amazing that CAB had said i was expected to sell car,house as my income had been affected but offered no alternative other than to say I should look into benefits :roll: as if i hadnt :roll: while at CAB we did and through other sources,bottom line is while i am still on firms payroll i dont qualify for anything other than DLA which i get at low rate care.

My firm have not replied to my OT or to offer i made to meet with HR.

She just said they are meant to help, but how do i make them??

All in all no joy and whilst acknowledging Leonard Cheshire report merely said since 1997 Labour have done this and that blah blah,but as i have written in reply ,not enough as you wouldnt be critised by Leonard Cheshire report.

I have written back to correct her misquotes and i intend to be a real pain in side till she says something other than "im sure your entitled to more support than you seem to to be receiving".

mayb

Your local MP should have a regular surgery to listen his/her constituents complaints and troubles. That is their real job after all - representing you.

Why don't you take all your papes to one of those and lay it all out before them literally. You have come this far and I hope your persistence is rewarded as it should be Gregg - but why does it have to be so difficult!! :welcome2:

Mayb

Michelle

Greg,

I remember going through similar motions as yourself. I wrote to the welsh assembley - useless! It's extremely difficult when you have to take time off work due to illness. There is little monetary help whilst you are recieving sick pay. I have been there! I felt very angry and frustrated - we still had the same bills coming in and a mortgage to pay etc,etc. I was just glad that we did not have a young family to look after.

Keep on to your employers. They have a legal responsibility towards you!

Michelle :hehehe:

goonasi

Good luck Greg

I also went to CAB who were extremley helpful NOT ! They scanned the computer reading notes that would be of help to me. (It was as if this was the first time they ever given advise or maybe it was her first day in the job) The best they came up with was a downstairs toilet which was means tested and was advised to sell up "The house is too big for you anyway !" Ive had OT come round for acessment and made me feel like a peasant and still waitng for some feeback - That was November 07.

Apart from the DLA Ive given up asking as I feel like Iam begging - So Ive decided not to pay any credit cards,loans etc except my mortgage and essentials so they can beg instead.

Again good luck, think I may go down the local MP route aswell

Simon

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

mayb

What a nightmare Simon - I must admit I had the same experience with CAB when I went to see them about my work issue right now. The guy was lovely but he was reading advice from the screen. I can operate a computer myself so didn't feel it was worth the journey to have someone do it for me, particularly as it was quite difficult for me to walk. He did supply me with a pat on the shoulder and a clean tissue when I burst into tears and then assured me that there would be a record of my visit to ask for advice. Bless them - they no not what they do!

I am barely on the fringe of all this stuff and I am feeling frustrated and het up most of the time so God knows how you all cope with it. I do think it is worth making a complete nuiscence of yourself - in this world of pressure and deadlines they might do something to get you off their backs.

Mayb

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hello Greg

I read your post yesterday and have given my reply some careful thought as I feel very concerned for you and your financial situation. :rofl3: This is just some advice that may be useful to all recently diagnosed MSers who find themselves on long term time off work.

When dealing with any official department, and your own employers, it is wise to remember that DLA is a non-means tested benefit that is specifically awarded for care and mobility reasons. It is NOT in anyway designed to meet the claimant's financial needs due to ill-health and long term sickness. :wchair:

This is crucial - remember, a millionaire would be fully entitled to DLA if needed! If that millionaire had both care and mobility needs, they could claim. I know it is unlikely! Well, I hope so, but it would be that person's right.

The point is, DLA is ONLY awarded to meet the claimant's care and mobility needs. :hehehe:

In reality, DLA often plugs the gap that not earning leaves. It does not completely recompense you for lost earnings - Incapacity Benefit is designed for that and is a SEPARATE issue. Personally, even though is has left us financially short, I do not claim IB, but that is for my own reasons, mainly due to my self-employed status for freelance writing. [it took me several years when my career ended to come to this point - I had an accident in the classroom and never returned as MS made me a danger to myself and the pupils and I was exhausted too.]

If you can get this separation of benefits fixed in your mind, and heart, it will empower you to address the right issues to the right body at the right time.

I really do feel like the school teacher I once was lecturing her class! Oh dear. But this is coming from my heart for anyone suddenly faced with all these issues.

I do wish you well with everything you have to do to get your rights, Greg. It is all exhausting and unsettling, I do know that. Seeing the bills mount up when you are ill is truly awful. But those of us who are now way down the line have been there once. And we survived somehow. My teaching pension is pitiful, by the way, because I chose to be a stay-at-home mum! Another way 'they' get you!

Do take care, and I am happy for you to email me if it helps. And last of all, if I have offended anyone with my bossy words, I really am :toot:

:cowboy: And remember, when one door closes, another one opens. It's true. One career ending does not have to mean never working again. But while you are still employed, you do have rights. Just keep your DLA claim a separate issue!

Shirley  "one day at a time"

goonasi

Ironicly I received my letter from DWP today with the results to have my DLA claim looked at again and they have "decided that the original decision remains correct" Iam still not entitled to any rate using information about my illnesses.

So i guess from there findings I'll now be OK to go shopping on my own and cross the odd road without aid. Happy days.

As a self employed worker with fully paid up to date stamps and tax I have never claimed a penny in my life and pround of It. Iam still working as hard as I possibly can. So no change there then except oh MS.

Simon x

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Michelle

If there ever comes a day when you can't work and need help - then re -apply! Keep working as long as possible, and remain happy about being able to do so!

If you feel that you still need help in order to remain working - then keep on at them. They aren't always right!

Mish :flowers2:

goonasi

Thanks Mish, your right after I had a three month break from work with a nice holiday at St.Thomas' Hospital. I dusted myself down with physio every day and eventually was able to walk again without two sticks, which I thank my lucky stars for. It was so great to be back at work with a little dignity back. Unfortunatley I can't work as hard as I able to before. The harder I work the harder MS fights me back hence a little help from DWP would have been great.

Anyhoo Its not to be so I will take this as a back handed compliment for now.

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Michelle

Simon,

Have you thought about giving the Disabilty Officer a ring at your local DWP? They might be able to find grants to assist you in the work place . Also, your HR dept should be able to help you within the work place. Anything that will make your life easier.

Thinking of you!

Michelle :flowers2:

goonasi

Thanks Michelle, I'll give them a call on Monday. As for HR, well that would be me. Iam self employed :flowers2:

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Michelle

:flowers2: Same here!

Michelle :flowers2:

Fine
WobblyGreg
Good luck Greg

I also went to CAB who were extremley helpful NOT !  They scanned the computer reading notes that would be of help to me. (It was as if this was the first time they ever given advise or maybe it was her first day in the job) The best they came up with was a downstairs toilet which was means tested and was advised to sell up "The house is too big for you anyway !" Ive had OT come round for acessment and made me feel like a peasant and still waitng for some feeback - That was November 07.

Apart from the DLA Ive given up asking as I feel like Iam begging - So Ive decided not to pay any credit cards,loans etc except my mortgage and essentials so they can beg instead.

Again good luck, think I may go down the local MP route aswell

Simon

This is letter i sent to MP after i got her reply might be some ideas there? interesting CAB said same to you about selling house,my MP SAID SHE FOUND THAT HARD TO BELEIVE :rofl3:

Dear Dr Starkey,

Thank you for the reply to my e-mail.

I understand there have been improvements since 2007 but that does not address the problems highlighted in the Leonard Cheshire report.

Are there plans to rectify these concerns and shortfalls regarding the hardships suffered by the disabled?

I agree with your point that some disabled people are able to work and this was my hope when I was diagnosed with MS, sadly this has not been possible.

You highlight the Disability act and its benefits but as I pointed out as I was refused DLA therefore I am not disabled!! It would seem MS is not a disability.

So although MS is classed as a critical core illness by insurance companies it does not meet criteria of the DWP, therefore denying others and myself any concessions that come with disability. I am told I have to reapply as my condition worsens which it will as it is a progressive disorder.

I find this to be almost an act of cruelty to ask someone with MS and the symptoms that come with it to fill in a forty four-page application form as and when required to be disgusting, it took myself and CAB advisor two hours, it took me longer the first and second time, the first being refused and the second being ignored as they overruled their own award and gave me low rate care only, before I could have an appeal, as they changed their mind it cancelled out the appeal and the updated information I gave them.

I have since filled in a super session form as advised by CAB as the DLA told us I had no outstanding appeal and that my case was closed, a week later I had a letter saying that they received my super session which was great, but a week after that a letter saying they had received an appeal letter I wrote in January .

This will probably cancel the super session and I will be back to square one six months after first applying.

I have met with nothing but obstacles and bad advice from DWP/ DLA and was even told by operator in Newcastle that I wont receive mobility component as for low rate I don