The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
WobblyGreg

Refused DLA

119 posts in this topic Last Reply

mayb

Let me hope I am never subjected to any such interview, Simon as I would not show your patience however nicely this was done. I would sugest a letter to the Health Minister for an explanation of the system and why you should be subjected to such indignities. The more who complain directly to these people the better chance for change (it will at least be -000000000000000001% more likely so worth a stamp!!).

Mayb

Sluggish
Marina

Simon, this is so shameful on the part of those in "Dragons Den" you've been subjected to! Fancy telling you you could've consulted a solicitor, and at what cost to boot?!

When you apply again, please do download and look at the guides and tips here: http://ms-people.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5236, they are stuffed with the most useful tips which we might not always think of. Also, Social Services told me the other day that there's a section of the Welfare Benefits office who can come to your home and help you fill your application as they apparently know all the tips that help to fill it in successfully. Social Services even insisted on getting someone from the Welfare Benefits office to come round to me to help out when I get round to filling it in. They did the same for Hezza too. Armed with the guides and tips and perhaps with the Welfare Benefits people, you might hopefully get somewhere next time.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

debzsanderson

I am absolutely disgusted at this. Life is hard enough trying to cope with a chronic, incurable disease then if you don't "look" ill enough on the day of your assessment you lose out!! Mark was "lucky" I suppose as he has SP MS which meant when he was first assessed he was already up to high rate mobility. He was however only given low rate care even though he had to ask his mum to lots of stuff around the flat befor I moved in. He was sent a letter about four years ago for a review which freaked me out but the person who came round to fill in the form kept telling Mark to answer on his worst days and the doctor who did the medical was very sympathetic. Mark leapt from low rate to high rate care on that occasion which is a big leap financially which has really helped. So many people who get disability benefits are claiming for the wrong level due to lack of understanding of the "system".Rant over................I hope you get this sorted out quicklyand that someone sees sense!!

Debz xx

Mark has PP MS but I am his partner and do the posts as he cant use the computer!!

Fine
WobblyGreg

Sadly we are the easy targets as a lot of disabled people just give up, this has been expressed by many welfare groups, MS is tricky as days can vary.

My argument is always yes maybe they do but the fact they vary is a disability in itself.

As for the mobility component the amount of people claiming this without regonised illnesses must surely out-weigh the amount of MS people,why not target them then .

The fact the DWP have solicitors in interviews shows they are on dodgy ground, that is the action of the guilty and not what you would expect from a department apparently meant to be helping you.

This country should be ashamed of itself and the way it treats its ill and elderly,while pandering to every other minority or radical group thats shouts the loudest, dont bother calling in solicitors then do they ??just pay out for fear of being sued by human rights or some such body.

tammy

Hello i was refused dla for six months so in the end instead of giving them my consultants name and address i gave them my doctors because she is the one that see's me all the time.

The only way i got round it was to tell them the worse case that you can't walk the smallest way without taking a rest and all that sort of thing the good thing was they backed dated it to the very first date just keep appealing you will get it don't give up because if you do you will have to go back to the begining.

Tammy

goonasi

Well I gave in and done what I should of done a year ago and reapplied. The ironic thing is I didn't know I could reapply whist I was in appeal. Apparantly I can apply as many times as I like concurrently.

Amazing what you find out once the horse has bolted. :cheerleader3:

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

cyprus_dave

Hi,

Dont forget, that when you get to the question that say:

Q) How far can you walk before suffering any pain or discomfort?

That if you normally suffer pain all day, that the answer should be:

A) Zero-metres.

As you are already in pain before setting off...! Simple oversight, but a major one at that.

Dave

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it."

goonasi

Thats a good point. I have already completed and posted a new application, I had difficulty with that section, at first I entered 2 metres then edited it to 10 metres thinking 2 was overdoing it. I shal submit a fresh application soonest as I belive I can.

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Fine
WobblyGreg

I SAW MY NEURO LAST WEEK and when he asked me how far i can walk now i said i dont bother to see as its painful to walk any distance,so im not putting myself through the pain just to give him a figure. :elephant:

He sort of smiled and my reason was he now has that on his record for DLA should they ask.

I have the opinion noone gives a stuff about MS so i say what i think will help me.

I treat the medical profession as if they are the DLA/DWP, as the DLA SAID the first time i was refused that it was based on DR reports and my application.

In other words none of my health care professionals have offered advice or help in these matters and certainly never done me any favours so i treat them as if they trying to screw me, works for me anyway. :tongue2:

aspro41
I sometimes think it's about how many folk the dla are allowed to sanction in a given quarter etc. It's also down to the doctor you see (althought they state they have nothing to do with the decision)whether you get the entitlement or not :shakehead3:

Greg,

If the dla call you they may ask you if your condition has gotten any worse. I trust that it has, if you get my drift. To qualify for the mobility part of the forms, you must having difficultiues walking full stop. Every step must be difficult. You must also need help getting to hospital appointments etc. For example: if someone wasn't with you,you could fall over. So it would be unsafe for you to go out and about on your own.

Pesonal care: I can't quite remember the number of hours required for personal care. I can only give you a personal example of what happened to me. Andrew had to give up work to look after me, as I was unable to stand without any help. In reality it was almost a 24/7 job for him. Gee Wizz! I wish i could remember how many hrs of care you must be getting, before you qualify for this component. It will come to me. :think:

Please have a word with your doctor about this... I remember my doctor just looking at me and telling me that I had nothing to worry about as I wasn't swinging the lead. I wasn't at all convinced. I think it's awful how you have to jump thru hoops to recieve a benefit that's there to help you with your disabilty. The point is that many folk with a disability can't jump that high. :rant:

I do hope it works out for you!

Regards

Michelle :you-rock:

Have to say that GP support is crucial when claiming DLA. I saw the whole 2 phrases my last GP wrote the last time and one of them wasn't even true (bout me seeing Rhuematologist regularly) and its no wonder I was turned down! When I challenged her she said she was a very busy doctor and couldn't remember details of all her patients. Gee thanks for the effort!!!!

Changed from Med centre to a local GP practise - made all the difference in the world. Discussing the whole range of options for treatment of my condition (not MS) and giving me some choice improved things so much I'm able to look after my family again and do a little volunteering. If you're wondering why I'm on this site I'm on the LDN trail for a client of the charity I work for!

jules
:you-rock: Hi. does anyone know if by being on a dmd it stops you from claiming dla. Ive just been refused it you see and im not sure if i should appeal

Heste

If you are disabled by your condition then it is always worth going to appeal. What exactly did the DWP say was the reason for the refusal?

Regards,

John :you-rock:

jules
If you are disabled by your condition then it is always worth going to appeal. What exactly did the DWP say was the reason for the refusal?

Regards,

John :you-rock: hi, they made there decision from my claim form, hospital doctor and further information i gave them including details of my current treatment medication test results and symptoms. So in other words im not disabled even though i have ms and my vision is a joke :shakehead3:

goonasi

:pompom: This Friday DWP awarded me DLA :cowboy:

Quite a shock as I was not expecting it after the last time with the appeal, tribunal etc.

Took over a year to get here but the journey was shall we say fun ! They awarded me High rate for Mobility and Low rate for Care component.

Next mission is to get some help with a downstairs toilet fitted - Any suggestions ?

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Heste

Congratulations Simon,

Is it indefinite or for a fixed time?

Regards,

John :cowboy:

debzsanderson

congratulations Simon - you showed them!! I hope it is permanent as the stress of having reviews isnt helpful for MS.

debz xx

Mark has PP MS but I am his partner and do the posts as he cant use the computer!!

Michelle

Congrats on the award. Ref downstairs loo. Contact your Social Worker or OT. If you don't have a SW or OT, contact social services to arrange a visit to your home.

Michelle :cowboy:

goonasi

Thanks guys.

Heste - the award is indefinite.

Mish - Will be chasing OTon Monday. Any tips or suggestions will be welcome, perhaps I should start a new thread.

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi Simon

This link from our own resources section might be useful to you:

Accessibility, Mobility and Activity http://ms-people.com/forum/index.php?showforum=90

Aids, Equipment, and Activities for the Disabled.

Shirley  "one day at a time"