The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
germanrebecca

Dumping Syndrome / Rapid Gastric Emptying

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

germanrebecca

Hello Everyone,

I am new to MS People UK.

A friend of mine has ms.

She has "learned" to cope with many of her ms symptoms.

But her quality of life has now almost reached zero because of a dumping syndrome / rapid gastric syndrome.

Food passes almost completely undigested from the stomach into the intestine. Therefore faintings occur very often.

Definition of Dumping Syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumping_syndrome

She did not have any stomach surgery!

Does anyone of you also suffer from a dumping syndrome?

If yes, please let me know, what helped you.

We`ve already been searching the whole web for any information about a dumping syndrome due to ms.

But no connection between ms and dumping syndrome was found.

Therefore every link or suggestion will be very helpfull.

Please do not hesitate to write any idea you have.

Thank you.

Rebecca

Michelle

Hi Rebecca and Welcome,

Firstly I am so sorry to hear that your friend is going through "Dumping Syndrome" and MS. I must admit to not having heard of this syndrome. I personally have only ever experienced bowel incontinence,which required me using an anal plug.

Obviously, this is not the same condition as what your friend is suffering from...

If I come across anything that could be of value to your firend, I will post the info here on the forum.

Regards

Michelle :snail:

"ET"

Is there any chance it could be a second problem, nothing to do with MS? For example, coeliac or IBS? Not sure what else.

Just a thought. I'm not a doctor, so just trying to make suggestions.

Elise

:snail:

Michelle

Ref Dumping Syndrome:

Dumping syndrome is a group of signs and symptoms that develops most often in people who have had surgery to remove all or part of their stomach, or in whom much of their stomach has been surgically bypassed to help lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when the undigested contents of your stomach are transported or "dumped" into your small intestine too rapidly. Common symptoms include abdominal cramps and nausea.

Most people with dumping syndrome experience signs and symptoms soon after eating. In other people, they may occur later

Gaynor

Hi Rebecca and Welcome to the forum.

Sorry but I can't help you on that one but hope you get further answers soon...not sure how many can help here though :hairraising: other than what Mish has offered.

Good luck

Gaynor

germanrebecca

Hello,

thank you so much for writing your experiences and thoughts.

This is much more than I got from a ms forum in Germany.

To be honest, there wasn`t even a single answer.

But probably that`s because dumping syndrome is a rare disease.

I must admit (and hope you excuse) I forgot telling you some of the facts.

My friend has ms and chillblain lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus) and Sjogren's syndrome. And the dumping-syndrome. Each disease was diagnosed in hospital.

No cause for the dumping-syndrome was found.

So I tried to get information

about dumping syndrome - as a single problem

about dumping syndrome - and lupus

about dumping syndrome

Starbound

Yes, I've had MS since age 17 am now 61. This awful symptom showed up a few years ago...it's happened about 4-5 times...loom up the AUTONOMIC nervous system, there's NERVES everywhere!

Nindancer

I was a gastroenterology patient for a few years before MS blipped anyone's radar. The hospital thought I had Crohns and a couple of tests were positive for that but not all of them, so no diagnosis and I was discharged early last year.

When I put 2 & 2 together and asked if bowel frequency/urgency could be MS related, both gastro & neuro said no, I wasn't that advanced. That's the thing that steroids really helped with was my stomach, I've had a couple of courses of them that have helped me. Before that I was taking Loperamide (immodium) about 5/6 days a week and I did have a couple of very bad days where I felt that food was passing thru me undigested - I always had suffered with IBS when stressed.

I lost too much weight and it was miserable.

I'm curious to know more about this and reading the comments from Michelle, I don't have any problems following eating.

I'm curious anyway

Sonia x

Nindancer

I was diagnosed PPMS actually but after a lot of going round the houses (London Neuro & STREAMS trial), I'm now on Tecfidera but walking is getting worse so I suspect I'll get taken off it in the summer.

Right now, things are ok bowel wise and I've gained my weight back and a bit more now I'm not in the gym. Truthfully, I now think I might have PRMS (progressive relapsing). Steroids have definitely helped me but they're not supposed to work with PPMS.

Likewise, at a quick glance I know I have an eye muscle issue, I have Nystagmus, both eyes do their own thing!

I'll have a proper look at that link tho, thank you. It looks like I may have some questions when I see my neuro next time...