The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
cyprus_dave

Neighbours

38 posts in this topic Last Reply

Jayneanne

Hiya Hercs

I saw that one. Susan picked up a dish that had been in the oven and didn't feel the heat in it. Only put it down when everyone screamed at her. I do agree with you about the portrayal.

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

mayb

I don't watch soaps very often - so can't comment on this current development in neighbours (always used to watch it when kids were young). Anyway, I do like to watch Casualty and several times they have had ms on there and that is always shown in a fairly depressing way too. It is the nature of the beast I suppose - there is no drama in a person coping with their ms and having a circle of supportive family and friends.

Mayb

Fine
WobblyGreg

Im for any media exposure to MS, i take the view, if it is, as in neighbours shown to be worse than it is and shows it to be bad.....then good, might make people ie goverment take a bit more notice of MS and fund some bloody research instead of letting drug companies do all funding.

With people talking about MS it raises awareness and in small way presures authorities to re-think the way we are treated .

Good on neighbours i say,let them show worse case scenario,most of us wont ever get that bad so carry on,maybe we might qualify for free prescription one day if susan is shown to need constant meds.....well probaly not in uk :welcome2:

Michelle

Ref the hot dish :welcome2: I must say that I have done this many times - lack of concerntration, and not being able to feel heat properly. Seems like Susan is going through the mill. I have known two people with MS before I was dx'd. Both suffered differently. One person was blind and in a wheelchair. The other; a lady who suffered with bouts of ON and chronic fatique. As we know MS varies from person to person.

I doubt very much that neighbours will be able to show the multiple ways in which having such a disease effects peoples lives. For instance: Susan will probably not have trouble, when it comes to paying for prescription drugs. Sadly we live in a country where there's a postcode lottery going on...

Regards

Michelle :rant:

Jayneanne

Don't do the hot dish, I do the hot shower - frequently - you'd think I'd learn wouldn't you? :hehehe:

Jayneanne

mayb

Clumsiness makes me burn myself frequently when getting dishes out of the oven - usually catching parts of meon the hot shelves. Still I can't feel most of them even when they are quite bad - it is such a bore to hold the damaged bit under a tap for 10 minutes. When you can feel a burn it lasts for hours. Wonder if that should be a plus or a minus on the ms font? Bites are the same. If I am bitten on a 'dead' bit I can't feel it and it will heal quickly. If bitten anywhere else I scratch it and it lasts for ages - another plus maybe? Lets hope they never include burning you with a red hot poker as an ms test - mind you if they did I might get a diagnosis.

Can't get my smilies to work so you will have to provide your own for this one. May I suggest hair raising and the rolling about with laughter. Of course you must feel free to make your own additions. lol

Mayb

Jayneanne

Mary, what the hell are you doing up in the middle of the night?

Havn't had much sleep for the past 3 nights as Abbey has a fever/sore throat and insists on cuddling me. She is like a hot water bottle and it is horrible, but I cannot bring myself to push her away. Funny how only Mummy will do? I have one arm undercover around her, and the rest of my body out of the covers trying to regulate the heat. She is also moaning and groaning and talking in her sleep, which is not condusive with a good night's sleep. Hopefully this episode will soon be over.

Should have got up for a natter with you :hehehe:

Jayneanne

mayb

I know what you mean Jayneanne - one of mine wanted to be held constantly when he was ill and the other would insist on being left entirely alone. I was happier with the cuddly one as then I could keep a close eye on developments - but it does not make for a restful sleep. I hope your bed warmer is on the mend soon!

Sometimes I don't bother to go to bed until really late becuase I know I wont sleep . Other times I go to bed anyway because you feel that's where you should be in the middle of the night and just lie there thinking - why did I go to bed its pointless, and then another time I sleep like a baby. Two of the first two nights usually results in one of the third.

I am babysitting tonight, an 8 year old, a 4 year old and a little baby aged 4 months. I will have to cat nap this afternoon or I will be asleep before they are!

Hope Abbey is soon better and hopefully we will not meet at 2 am after all! :hehehe:

Mayb

Vegged Out
Shirl

Me too - early nights sometimes work but rarely. Or, if I do go to sleep early, I wake in the night, full of beans! So I get up and read. Mostly, I just read in bed each night until I want to turn off the light and allow max zzzs to take over. I am lucky - the light does not stop Pete sleeping the second his head hits the pillow.

Other times, I go to bed early, exhausted and sleep through until midday, only waking for my morning tea and tablets at 6.

Mind you, it does depend what the early night is for - sometimes we both stay awake!

Do hope your daughter is much better, Jayneanne.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Vegged Out
Shirl

Have you all seen this in the MS Trust's latest issue of Open Door - this is the online version:

Everybody needs good neighbours

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Fine
WobblyGreg

QOUTE:"Good on Neighbours I say. Let them show the worst case scenario. With people talking about MS it raises awareness and in some small way pressures authorities to re-think the way we are treated."

They used my quote :thumbsup: I watched it other night and thought it was good the way susan's granson said "are you feeling MS'ee ,is that why you arent cutting the vegetables" silly little thing i know but shows the producers have, as article says researched MS.

mayb

well done you Gregg - nice to know they use real quotes too.

Mayb

patg

Yes I also saw the article in open door about Susan's ms in neighbours and thought it was rather good. I am pleased to know that is going to be a continuing theme as I rather suspected, at the start, that it would be quickly pushed under the carpet. Well done Neighbours, :thumbsup: Patg