The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
thewineadvisor

E.M.G. testing

64 posts in this topic Last Reply

mayb

Well I am a bit more 21 than you are mich - 21 2 1/2 times over maybe and a birthday looming!! :hurra:

Mayb

Jayneanne

And I'm just not even going there!!!!!

The truth is out

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

Jayneanne

When's your birthday Mary I cannot see it on the calendar?

Jayneanne

mayb

Not sure how to go about puting it on their jayneanne and I would feel guilty as I don't keep up with anybody's dates - even in the family. I always remember way ahead and forget it on the day! I usually manage to send a sorry I'm late card but its not the same. We don't have a tradition of these things in my family - even my parents send a card late if at all. It is one of the things I miss at work because we did make a fuss of anyone's birthday and there was no way I was allowed to forget anyone!

Anyway apart from that I am back from the hospital and I was gone from home just under an hour!! Something to be said for agreeing a Saturday appointment. However, it is very strange as no needles showed themselves - even in the room. There was a machine and some wires and some pads for the current. My paperwork said EMG/VU and the oppointment paper said EMG. So what did I have I'm confused now. :hurra: I had to roll up both trouser legs and take off socks and shoes - and then later roll up a sleeve. I am getting used to this now - just as well nobody wants to see the rest of me I'm sure. However, having spent a bit of time chosing the right clothes to wear under everything you get a bit miffed if you don't get to go there!!

I am sure that all my notes say SUSPENDED FROM WORK SUFFERING FROM STRESS. As this guy asked me if I was working at the moment. Not sure how it related to what he was doing and there had been no small talk about the weather.

He told me he was going to carry out some tests on my leg and I said the neuro had also said he would be testing my arms. He said it depends on what I find with the leg and then tested my arm after testing my leg. He asked me how long I had had numb patches in left leg and I said about 13 - 14 years. Had I had a scan and I said yes. Did it show anything and I said yes a pinch in my nerve L4 L5 - neuro called it a stenosis but to the right side not the left. Had I had any treatment - yes an injection into the spine.

He said he would write a report for my neuro once he had analysed the results and I would either get a letter or an appointment in about 3 weeks time.

So there you go folks- a bit uncomfortable but nothing terrible and no nasty needles at all. Bit of a storm in a teacup as the old folks would say. Some bits of me took longer than other bits of me to respond to the pulse but not sure if that was because of what he was doing or something to do with the area being tested. I shall just have to wait and see. Anyway all done now :hoop:

Mayb

Jayneanne

Thats that then Mary, yet another test out of the way and without too much hassle by the sounds of it.

You can ammend your profile by putting your birthdate on and I think it might come up automatically on the calendar, come on girl, don't be shy, are you an Aries too?

Jayneanne

Michelle

Mary,

I'm glad that the test is over with - a chance to have an evening of relaxation. x

Michelle :lmao:

mayb

Ok jayneanne but I have to warn you I am a Taurus - homemaker and very stubborn - in case you hadn't noticed. In my favour we are a sexy lot apparently especially when wearing our flight socks and hanging on to our hot water bottles I hear!!!! :lmao:

Thanks mich - I don't know whether it is normal reaction but my foot and ankle are very achy sore now on the dodgy leg side - not in patches but sort of all over still I am off to bed as very, very tired probably more from worry than the actual test which was a doddle really.

night all

xx

Mary

Mayb

Jayneanne

Blimey, Mary, it's like getting blood out of a stone. Which after having previously being married to, giving birth to and the daughter of a Taurus, I guess I know what you mean. Now come on give .....................You can PM if you like

I am not giving up now

Do hope the leg eases up today :lmao:

Jayneanne

mayb

Yeah you are right jayneanne the deed is done - now everyone knows I'll be 54 in May - How on earth did I get to be 54 - I just don't remember half of it!! :cowboy:

Mayb

Jayneanne

That'll be impaired cognitive function LOL

Come on, give me a date??????

Jayneanne

linds

Hi

The thing is with ms your memory goes awol so you can be any age at any time

Linda currently around 100!""

Lindsx

mayb

Thought I would just pop back on this one - aren't there some of you who haven't reported on your EMG experience or am I just imagining things again?

I had some very bad shakes, cramp and all sorts of pain in the leg after I had the EMG and the doc has said this is down to the nerves being sensitive and now sent into spasms by the EMG. Took more than a week to settle back down again so I thought I would post a warning and also a reassurance that it does go away again. :cowboy:

Mayb

Jayneanne

Thanks,

Thats good to know Mary, I can hardly wait, yippee!

:cowboy:

Jayneanne

Jayneanne

Serves me right for being sarcastic cos my appointment is through for next month :shakehead3:

Jayneanne

mayb

Sorry jayneanne didn't mean to upset you but felt forewarning may help you to know what to expect. Nobody else has reported this reaction either. I of course am not diagnosed and may have just gone into this reaction through job related stress. :shakehead3: I can do sarcastic too! Wonder what will happen to me now? I have had nothing to say what the result of the test were yet.

I am allright now but sleeping for England. Is there a Guiness Book of Records entry for the longest sleep I wonder. I expect we could all enter into a competition for that one. I have a hearing on Monday as my work have decided to ignore my GP report and go ahead asap. I don't actually mind as I want to get this stage over with asap as well. I am supposed to be preparing my paperwork, which has been couriered over from my solicitor this morning. I can hardly keep awake to do this. Luckily it is still in order and I just need to put it into a file of some sort and make sure all my evidence is in place. Wonder what they will do if I fall asleep in the middle of it all!! :juggler:

Mayb

Jayneanne

Dont be daft Mary I wasn't upset at all. At the moment I am feeling virtually like a proper person and loving every minute of it - What MS??

Funny isn't it that when you do feel fine, you forget completely just how c**p you felt a couple of months ago. I even tried on some roller blades the other day. I could stand up and kind of throw myself around the shop not too badly! Sadly (or luckily) I didn't have the money for them so we just bought Georginas :juggler:

I haven't had a sleep in the day all week (not since the day after our do). That is amazing for me, I am soo pleased to be a part of the world again :shakehead3:

You just sleep on Mary, it's the only thing to do.

Is this the hearing where you cannot take a friend with legal knowledge? I do wish you all the luck in the world, and to be honest the sleepier you are the better. Really play on your symptoms and do not be a brave hero. I would love to be a fly on the wall cos I am a nosy cow and I hate underdogs, which is what your employers are trying to make you

Don't let the b*****s get you down Mary

Jayneanne

mayb

Hi all - thanks for that post jayneanne, I have only just seen it and hearing over now. I have not been getting my notifying emails for some reason I know others have had that problem too. I was very hopeful afterwards as it was a new guy and he appeared keen to investigate and take action. I had agreed to send him some of my papers and was in the process of preparing them, when a nasty letter arrived demanding to know the names and posts held of any witnesses and all of my paperwork - which they may chose to exclude as invalid apparently. So all handed back to my solicitor to sort out now. Shame I thought there was a small chance there.

I came back to tell you that I had a letter from my neuro - all very friendly saying that basically my blood tests were ok and that the nerve conduction studies showed no abnormalities of the nerve function to account for the patchy numbness. So that sort of rules ms more in than out I presume. I am not seeing him until the end of July so assume he is not planning to operate on my spine after all. No mention of the cause of the pain either. I expect that means that I just keep taking the tablets. He was just as happy to note changes consistent with very mild carpal tunnel syndrome as he had noted 13 years ago! That is hands so no where near my leg then. Funny I've never had any sypmtoms of that. I even got a Kind regards!

I didn't expect anything different I suppose, but feel I am being left in limbo land again. Why do they think that is ok?

Anyone else had a report I wonder and if so would love to know what happened next?

Mayb

Jayneanne

Just got back from my EMG.

It lasted 20 minutes and I giggled most of the time. There were no needles. He said that they use them sometimes but not onme today. just little pads on wires, plugged into a box and a two pronged cow prodder (at least thats how I would describe it) I felt nothing on my right arm. a bit on my left and was almost cataputed off the bed with the one behind my right knee. I think he had turned up the power and I nearly kicked the poor guy in the face. That and my left knee were decidedly uncomfortable but no other places hurt at all.

I am one of those awful people who receives and gives electric shocks on a regular basis, for no apparent reason. The best ones are when I meet someone and we do the Spanish kiss, I often do the Spanish shock and it is really painful for a second - dont have many friends haha! The testing was nothing like that even. So if there are any of you out there in a dither over the test, dont worry at all.

It was a doddle :thumbsup:

He said it all seemed ok but he had to do a report and send it to the neuro who would tell me the results at my next appointment.

I laughed and said "What, in a couple of years time, HAHA"

He replied "If you are lucky HAHA"

Mmmmm. I thought, that doesn't bode well, but at least it is another test out of the way. Maybe I got the translation wrong tho

:hehehe:

Jayneanne

Michelle

Glad it went ok and gave you a giggle. Lets hope it's not years before you hear of the results :thumbsup:

Sounds like you're like Andrew with the giving of electrical shock. He gets them every time he touches our car. Or if we're out shopping :rant: I reckon he makes this part up, just to get me out of the shops :lmao:

Take Care

Michelle :hehehe: Well done for being brave :hehehe:

Jayneanne

Cheers Michelle

Better not let Andrew and I within touching distance LOL :hehehe:

I feel embarrased to say that I am feeling pretty damn good at the moment and almost forgetting the last bad bout. How wierd is that?

I guess that I should just be thankful for the good times as it were and shut my trap!!!!!!!

Jayneanne

Michelle

Not weird at all. I sometimes forget the 'good' times,especially when I have had a bad bout of fatique :thumbsup: Sun follows rain, and all that jazz :rant:

Michelle :hehehe:

Jayneanne

Yes you are right there

I do recall wondering a while ago if I would ever feel well again. Now I feel as though there is absolutely nothing wrong with me (other than the old ache and pain of growing old - nearly wrote growing up LOL). Now tho I feel a complete fraud, just when I am getting the tests through.

Hey ho I guess thats the name of the game

Jayneanne

Michelle

Isn't it strange how we sometimes feel a fraud? I wonder what that's all about? I'm sure the pro's have a label for this kind of feeling :lmao:

I had a mad thought the other day> I thought! Argh :hehehe: There's nothing wrong with me! Completely mad :hoop::lmao:

Maybe it was the feel good factor and I had forgotton what it felt like to be well. See,you're not on your own :thumbsup:

Mish x

P.S Don't grow up! :rant:

PPS - Disease plays with your mind :hehehe:

mayb

Feeling quite good myself jayneanne - that's when you start doubting yourself all over again. did we just imagine it or did we have a real problem a few weeks back?? I am glad your tests went well and as you say another one out of the way -difficult to know what a good result is on those - I know my muscles and nerves are working ok when electrocuted but why do they not work ok normally is still a question waiting to be answered - instead I got - there is nothing more we can do for you. Why?

Please do describe the spanish kiss - is it anything like the french kiss or is it that sort of kissing the air kiss??

I am highly electrical too at times. I am desperate on non wool carpets especially when in range of a filing cabinet. I used to get shocks off of the frame of the buggy and in certain parts of the shopping centre (with Andrew on that one). I also never gave my wrist for people to check out a perfume as they always ended with a shock on the nose!!

Perhaps we are suffering from short circuits disease or SCD for short - circuits that is. :hehehe: Or in my case SFD - short fuse disease as my patience is becoming severly streatched.

Mayb

mayb

I was just thinking about the time I went three weeks overdue with my first baby. I sat in the room all decorated and ready for him and decided that actually I had a phantom pregnancy and they were all waiting for me to realise it for myself. I was on the verge of going to the docs to tell him it was allright I had realised I wasn't reallly pregnant at all, when I went into labour.

Maybe that is how I am now - pregnant with ms - wonder when I will give birth to it??

Mayb