The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Hercules

1st Fall?

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hercules

Hi

I have just returned from work and my wife tells me she had a fall this morning and can't explain why. This is the first time she has fallen and luckily nothing serious has happened. Apparently she was going to the loo and turned her head to see where the cat was and felt "very strange". No sooner had she realised things were not right, she was on the floor. After lying still for a minute or two, she got up and carried on.

Is this something we need to talk to a Doctor about, as a matter of urgency, or is this quite a common thing with MS and something we have to live with?

Any help or experiences appreciated as I know you guys have a wealth of knowledge.

TIA........

If you ever read this my darling Prishpresh. I love you dearly and will always be there for you.

clare

so sorry hope she is ok

this happens to me your balance just goes on you just the simple things like getting up from a chair or turning your head to quick sends my balance all over the place.

when i saw my nero he sald it was normal to lose your balance.

sorry i cant be much more help

take care clare :flowers2:

Gaynor

Mm...could be quite normal, but I would just mention it when you next visit.

Perhaps she was not long out of bed or hadn't eaten anything before it and that possibly caused it with low blood sugar being the reason or something like that?

Anyway hope she's ok,

Gaynor

Jayneanne

Bless her.

Falling is a dreadful experience and it makes you realise just how vunerable you are.

Did she black out Hercs, or was just very dizzy and it hapenned fast?

When I have fallen I am conscious of the fact I am going, but just cannot correct myself in time and land with an almighty crash, but I guess everyone is different.

I would mention it to your doc, as Gaynor rightly says. It is important to note everything down for neuro info too. Thank goodness she was sitting so not too far to fall.

Big hugs on there way to Mrs H and :flowers2::rofl3::lmao: . she must have had a shock so plenty of cuddles from you too Hercs (as if I need say!!)

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

Vegged Out
Shirl

With me, Hercules, falls happen if I lose concentration and/or turn my head suddenly while standing. To walk, I must concentrate on every step. You do adapt once you realise what is needed.

Last time I fell, I was in the bathroom and could not get up - never can these days. So had to haul myself to the bedroom (en suite, so not far) and pull myself up at the bed.

I am sure you feel worried but only have to mention this to the GP next time Mrs H has an appointment. Unless it plays on her mind, in which case, phone the surgery for reassurance.

Bless her, lots of mutual TLC to both of you. I know its the carer that bears the brunt.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Michelle

Falls happen to meon a frequent basis. Thats why I tend to use a stick. Sometimes I get dizzy - other times i find it hard to balance myself. I'm just like a drunk!

I would definately mention it to g.p.

Mish :flowers2:

mayb

I know just what she means Herc - sometimes you move your head or even lean to far one way and somehow your body just cant work out how to stop you from tipping over or falling. I have 'fallen' into the bin and the freezer before now.

The other type of fall I have had is when my leg just gives way beneath me. That is my main reason for using a stick lately - although the strong wind would have blown anyone off their pins recently. Sometimes with the leg it has just given way the first time I stand on it in the morning - other times I have just been walking along and down I go. There are also the little trips when your foot didn't pick up or your legs aren't quite co-ordinating. There are often long gaps between sessions of this. So look out for her doing it again perhaps - but then it might go away for a while.

If your wife believes this was definately a fall and not passing out or fainting I would make a note of it and take it with you to the next appointment. They do need to know but it is probably another symptom you will learn to look out for and deal with sometimes.

I hope she wasn't too shaken by it Herc - or you either. It isn't easy to bounce back as you get older and it can shake your confidence too.

Probably a good idea to have a fairly quiet weekend with lots of sitting and chocs of course! :flowers2:

Mayb

angela

Hi Hercules

Has your wife been checked for a UTI? I have them ongoing at the moment, along with them I am getting dizziness and falling down alot, I've also had a few short blackouts and fallen, I'm waiting for the results of an mri scan I had over a month ago!

Angela

Give a woman the right shoes and she can conquer the world! Bette Midler.

Hercules

Hi all. Thanks for your kind wishes.

We had to go to our GP's surgery to pick up a prescription, so I managed to get a nurse in having a quick look at my wife. As I mentioned, my wife is Ok but black and blue this morning with bruises on her face, arm and knee. The nurse said that some of the things about MS are disorientation and falling. She was interested to find out if my wife blacked out or had a dizzy moment. It seems more like a MS dizzy moment followed by the fall. The nurse checked my wife's BP, which was slightly high for my wife, as it's normally low. Other than a bit shaken, she is fine.

It looks like this is something my wife will have to become more and more aware of as time progresses, however it's a worry for me when I am not here. I guess I am not coping as well as I thought. I am in total awe of my wife and you guys, who have to live with this day in and day out. :flowers2: God bless you all.

Thanks again, have a good weekend.

By the way, (this made me smile) when I say my wife was "going to the loo", I meant she was "walking" to the loo. Sorry for the confusion. I can only imagine the picture I painted in your minds with my poor description of events. Aplologies. :rofl3:

If you ever read this my darling Prishpresh. I love you dearly and will always be there for you.

goonasi

Blimey sounds like that was quite a fall, must of been a bit of a shock. Good to hear that your wife is doing fine now.

I had one or two falls last year before I was diagnosed and the best one was, I just filled up with diesel got myself a lovely lovely creamy lovely coffee latte, did a little river dance quick step and wallop on the floor before I could even taste it.

I feel that Iam more in control now and just naturally concentrate a little extra.

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Jayneanne

Blimey Hercs, there was me thinking Mrs H just toppled off the throne!

It sounds like she had one hell of a fall bless her, she must have been really shaken.

Big hugs & :flowers2: to Mrs H

Jayneanne

Michelle

:flowers2: Hercs! Sounds like your wife had a real nasty fall :flowers2: I hope this doesn't become a frequent occurence.

Regards

Michelle :flowers2:

Jayneanne

Hiya Hercs

Just a quickie to see how Mrs H is doing. Hope you are both feelling a lot better today

:flowers2:

Jayneanne

Hercules

Hi jaybenj, Mish, Goonasi (and everyone who knows me! :flowers2: )

Thanks for your concern. Mrs Hercs is bearing up well and the shock of the fall is easing.

The bruising on her chin, etc is now a nice shade of blue/purple.

chin400.jpgArmandknee400.jpg

I guess it's something we will have to get used to. Luckily she was not coming down some stairs or something like that.

Nearly Monday and time to chase the MRI results.

Jayneanne

Blimey O Riley that was a hell of a fall, poor Mrs H. She really came a cropper! Lucky that there is nothing broken and that the bruises have come out quickly too. Do you have any arnica (great for bruising)?

Good idea to get some fitted slippers and not the flippy floppy ones, and get rid of any loose rugs, you know all this don't you - shut up JA :flowers2:

Only recently have have I realised that I come down stairs like a toddler, as I am nervous about falling, so that I can recommend especially for the time being.

Got a poorly little girl sat on my lap zo catch up later :flowers2:

Jayneanne

Hercules

Hi Jaybenj

Amazingly, my wife was in bare feet and walking on a laminate floor. So we are pretty sure the fall was caused only by the disorientation, etc. She mentioned putting out her arm for a wall to support her, but it "wasn't there" as she hit the floor.

As you can see, she has grazed some of the skin on her chin as she got a sort of "carpet burn" sliding across the floor.

My wife said that the last time she had carpet burns on her......NOPE! Not even going there. :flowers2: At least her sense of humour is still there.

Hope the poorly little girl gets well soon. Awwwww....

Regards...

Jayneanne

hahahahahahahaha

Still laughing as i write. Good on her that she can turn around a nasty experience and make light of it bless.......

Jayneanne

mayb

Those bruises do look nasty Herc I hope they are not as painful as they look.

It is good that someone has checked her out and passed her as ok now, so you can put your mind to rest on that one. I wish her a speedy recovery and hope that never happens again. I must admit to a smile about the 'carpet burns' cheeky lady you've got there Herc!

Mayb

Aldo

hope she ok. its scary the first time, as long as you try not to rush about etc..

Ive fallen after bending over, go light headed and bump.. body meets floor!

I now just say 'silly sod aldo dont bend over'. as long as its not to painful or get very fustrated and kick the nearest thing in sight.. but then hurt foot! and no i have not got a cat!

Please ignore my spelling.. I struggle at the best of times!