The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
LalalaKirby

Wii Fit

96 posts in this topic Last Reply

LalalaKirby

Nintendo's always been good at surprising the gaming community, and I always feel so giddy inside when they can surprise everyone else as well. :lolsign:On Friday the UK got 'Wii fit', a new health-promoting game complete with a sensitivity board that can tell you how balanced you're standing, and how heavy you are (you don't have to check the weight-specifics though!!).

I bought it yesterday, and I'm already making steps toward a better 'me'. :crutch: After doing the body test and accidentally clicking weight I discovered that after starting the copaxone I've put on a stone, if not more :rofl3:. I'm determined to work that, and the rest of the gut, off right now.

Hopefully this will also put me back on the track to walking without the stick. I've been getting steadily more and more dependant on it, and I don't like that.

SO! Who else is tempted by, or has snuck out and gotten, Wii fit? Its got yoga on it~! :cannaleaf:

~~SS

I'm such a geek when I draw in breath it's with pixels!

Gaynor

Yes, i've seen it and picked up on the 'improve your balance' games. I saw the downhill slalom skiing and that looked great fun. I think we may go for it...as we've actually resisted the Wii stuff up to now.

After borrowing the original hand held controls I was in agony a day later with my arm for using it so much due to putting my arm into bowling and bating like a nutter.... So I'm thinking with this it's a case of moving my whole body fairly sedately in a controlled way so may be better :lolsign: rather than thrashing my arms about!!!

Let me know how it goes for you,

Gaynor

goonasi

Would love it. Just worried that I couldn't stand on that board thingy ???

I can play bowling, an absolute master at tennis :lolsign: just concerned about the board thingy for wii fit. Do you need good balance ???

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Gaynor

Well they say it builds up your balance with practise...but I'm not sure how much balance you'll need to start with (!) that's a question for someone that's already got one to answer.

I guess each game will require different stances on the board and some will be easier than others no doubt. I would say go and have a look or ring around to see if any of the stores have got one on demo that you could try.

Gaynor

mayb

What else do you need if you get the Wii fit thingy - does it just work with the telly or do you need something else? It sounds good but it could be dangerous with nothing to stop you falling off and hurting yourself if balance is bad. :lolsign:

Mayb

Aldo

plugs in to your TV Mayb.

had a go on wii fit in currys yesterday... oh hurry up payday!

Please ignore my spelling.. I struggle at the best of times!

Gaynor

Oooh could you expand on that Aldo for us?

Would you recommend it?

What game did you have a go of?

...and what other Wii kit do we need if we don't own anything Wii wise already?

Thanks,

Gaynor

Heste

Call me a Luddite but I prefer walking the dogs and archery for keeping fit. I love technology and I am sure the wii is fun but don't think I will be buying one soon.

Regards,

General Ludd :hairraising:

Aldo

wii stock check wii fit

top link to see who has in stock... very popular consol, i had to wait 6 months for mine last year :flowers2:

2nd link all about it watch the video clip on that site :hairraising:

the board, you get as an add on i think?, good for balance, i used to play wii golf, tennis etc.. price c

Please ignore my spelling.. I struggle at the best of times!

Michelle

I'm with John on this one! My two daughters are so into technology like Wii,playstation,X-box etc. Just watching them exhausts me:flowers2: Andrew enjoys the Wii. Andrew would certainly buy one - but not with my money :hehehe:

Enjoy the wii guys!

Michelle :hairraising:

mayb

I have just played the video - thanks for that link Aldo. Trouble is it showed a lot of clever people balancing on one leg - can't remember the last time I was able to do that so not for me really. Be good to hear how you get on Aldo.

Mayb

Hezza

Played it at my brother's house over the weekend - great fun :hairraising:

We're waiting for it to come back into stock in Amazon again as we've got a voucher we can put towards it. The board comes in the box with the game.

Scarily it has decided that my Wii Fit age is 54...a brilliant effort from a 29 year old I think :flowers2:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Gaynor

Oh right ho, thanks for the updates guys :hairraising:

Gaynor

mayb

Don't worry Hezza that is just your body - my brain age varies between the 80's and the 70's on my brain training game and I have only once touched my real age of 53!!! I always thought I was a quick thinker even if the legs didn't work properly. Do you think it is a trick to make us try harder? - I do hope so.

Mayb

LalalaKirby

They've got some nice gentle reminders on some of the games, about leaning on something or someone if you feel unbalanced, and to make sure the area around you has plenty of space so you don't bump into or trip over anything. :) Such a curteous game. And the Wii-board avatar on the console has a cute voice. :3

I've quickly realised I'm unable to do most of the muscle excersizes, which is a shame (that's a whole section I can't do!), though I've been doing a couple of the aerobic ones (jogging, steps, hula hoop. ;) Funfun!), and I'm quite happy doing the yoga excersizes, though I get this feeling I'm not doing them right. From the comments of the personal-trainer avatar, she didn't think I was either!! :hairraising:

And for now I'm off the coffee, to see if that makes any difference. Not, of course, to say that I'm signing off on my regular starbucks trip. :flowers2: I'd rather get some indoor AND outdoor excersize where I can, though I've already pushed my limits more than once, so I should be more careful.

Michelle

Steph,

My daughter said that the hula hoop one is so funny! Her other half had a go at it, and looked like a right plonker :fingers:

Michelle :thumbsup:

mayb

Just had an email from Amazon to say the wii is now in stock there and it comes with a few deals. No mention of the wii fit though - price including wii sports is

Mayb

Hezza

Yay! Finally I've got my Wii Fit (or rather Ron has it as I tracked one down in Argos, reserved online and then sent him a text saying "Am miserable today, feel poo, can't concentrate on work so have bought a Wii Fit to cheer me up please go and collect!!" :cowboy:

And of course he did - I'm very lucky really :thumbsup:

If anyone is still trying to get one the website www.wiifitfrenzy.co.uk is updated whenever anyone gets stock.

ta- ra for now

LalalaKirby

Mish: Ugh, yes, the hula hoop. It does make one look like a twonk, but that's why I play the game with no witnesses about. :elephantride:

mayb: I don't know if Wii Fit's been going out-of-stock, though admittedly I've not been checking. I'd imagine you could pick that up from most anywhere (so long as there's a car nearby, the board's heavy!)

Hezza: Awesome~~! I do hope you have fun on it, I find it brilliant for cheering up and being active, even if you don't do any of the 'big' things! :accordion: Though I might actually be able to do some of the muscle excersizes now (like I'll be doing those! Pfft).

Well it's been nearly 2 weeks since I started playing Wii Fit now, and though my belly's still prominent enough for me to feel like I should be embarrassed, my health's doing better than it has in a LONG time.

I've stopped going on it at most all points in the day, now I go on it in the morning and in the evening, just to keep myself stretching and stuff, and to check the weight to see how much it's shifting. It's slowly making its way out of the danger-zones, can't wait till I can heave that sigh of relief!!

But my health, wow! For the first time in ages I went back into Uni, without the walking stick, because I can. Nobody was there of course, but that's just how things go. :lmao: But yeah, I've been able to get around without the sticks, I've not felt dizzy or shaky, my chest's stopped hurting, and I can stretch a little more than before again. After how I felt taking the meds, this is a welcome change.

The diet's just a bonus. :cry:

Michelle
:accordion: That's great news steph! :cry: Have a great weekend! :elephantride:

morphinehell

Hi All

Well After Reading all the posts I think i will give it a go as something is better than nothing

Anything to combat the expanding waist line which i'm not happy about

Steve

My Dog ATE my signature

Gaynor

Yes, we're goin to go for it too in the near future.

Gaynor

LalalaKirby

The two-week mark hit, and I've lost a stone. Hooray~! I'm fitting into trousers I'd been slowly slipping beyond getting out of the cupboards ever again. Only a few more to go before I can safely say I'm a decent weight. ;)

Hezza

Well done!! :flowers2::dramaqueen::thumbsup::hurra:

Fun and effective - what more could a girl want :airman:

mayb

Wow Steph that's just brilliant. I had a visit from my sisters yesterday - we are all three losing weight on various combinations of diet exercise and in my case stress, and we had a clothes swapping session to save each of us having to buy everything new. I managed to give away some clothes too big for me now and they gave me some they hadn't worn for a while. I also gave them clothes to slim into and they gave me some for when my weight normalises a bit. Great fun - we had such a laugh seeing each other in our outfits - nothing like a good laugh to take away your troubles - perhaps I will try a real hula hoop next - or a baby trampoline. :welcome2: (today's tip is that stress looses weight faster than diet or exercise)

Mayb