The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
"ET"

"Silent migraines?" (and colds!)

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

"ET"

This is the first time having one of these since my MS diagnosis, although I've had this in the past. Now I'm wondering if it's part of MS?

It's always on the left side (although not in the left eye, as I can close either or both eyes, and still see the flashing lights). Anyway, flashing lights in a huge arc, and I can't see very well on the left. It disappears within an hour.

I'd gone to the hospital twice before with it, but no longer do as they've told me both times it's a 'migraine without the pain' or 'silent migraine.'

Anyone have anything like that? Is it a symptom of ON? I don't really think I've had ON before . . . but who knows -- I ignore most things.

Thanks in advance for any help. Been home in bed for a few days in pain -- they have meon a few drugs, all of which knock me out right now. Barely been online.

Elise

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi Elise

Sorry to read this. Yes, I get all the 'light' symptoms on my left side, sometimes resulting in migraine (though not so much since I had my hysterectomy and am on HRT, ie no periods). The left side of my face is the one affected by Trigeminal Neuralgia. I have been putting all pain/light/vision problems on this side down to MS for many years now.

I think you are right to question each episode - just to ensure nothing new is happening. Otherwise, it is best to adopt your own 'what works' policy for treatment and pain relief where needed.

My preventative measures might help you: I wear photochromic lenses as I am completely photophobic. So much so that we have wooden blinds and keep out as much direct sunlight as possible, only opening them when the direct sun has passed over the flat.

I really hope you feel better soon. :thumbsup:

Shirley  "one day at a time"

linds

Hi Elise,

Yes I get these "silent migraines" had them for years with all the visual disturbances. Funny yhing is that my neuro says he also gets them!! so maybe it is not always the ms. I know some people who never get them and they have ms so it might be what we are sensitive too at any given time. The flashes can be quite something. I don't think it is necessary anything to do with ON just the brain playing up.

I do hope you feel better soon.

I have got my first cold for 10 yrs.....wonder why this could be.

Lindax

Lindsx

"ET"

Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. As I said, no pain at all . . . just this weird 'thing' that lasts an hour or so. It's even there when I close my eyes. But then it ends and there are no other symptoms.

Oh well. I won't worry about it. I'v had it a dozen or so time, only went to the doctor the first two times. Now I just wait it out.

Hope everyone is enjoying the warm days.

Elise

mayb

Hi Elise - sorry to hear about you troubles and hopefully you will be back on your feet soon. Sounds lke you do have migraine doesn't it - can't say I had heard of that before it must be totally weird to experience not to mention scary.

Hi Linda - I just don't get colds either and think it very strange. Perhaps you have hayfever with the good weather right now.

Mayb

linds

It is strange Mary. Someone told me that only heathy people get colds and it means the immune system is working. I can't make head or tail of this. ??? Anyway I don't suffer fom hayfever either so what is going o!! Lindax

Lindsx

Amanda

I am finding this conversation really weird as it has crossed my mind previously that I used to suffer from about 3 colds a year but for the last couple of years I have not really had one at all and I wondered if the reason was related to my MS( DX in Jan 08) but I thought that perhaps my immune system was that busy working overtime attacking myelin that it was simply brushing off the cold virus.

I do suffer hayfever but normally get in in the late summer season.

Its a little strange :elephantride:

Vegged Out
Shirl

I had my first cold for over 5 years earlier this year - and how!

Mostly, I feel my body fighting off infections and that tends to bring me right back to basics with MS. I have assumed that is my body's way of coping. But I always have my flu jab, even if it means a bit of a reaction for a while. MS and flu? No thanks. :elephantride:

Shirley  "one day at a time"