The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

Lengthy Detailed Guides to filling in the DLA form

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

The attached PDFs are full of excellent and detailed tips and guides on how to fill in the dreaded DLA form. They also include some of the pitfalls to avoid.

Highly recommended reading to help anyone with filling in the DLA form.

One is written by the National Association for Colitis and Crohn's disease, but just replace those entries with "MS" in many instances as, on the whole, the idea of the tips and guides is the same.

The NACC and BHAS ones appear identical on the whole but they each offer different or more tips in some areas.

In fact, all 4 of them offer different tips and suggestions.

I'd say it's well worth going out and buying a ream of paper and an ink cartridge and printing them all out and then highlighting and making separate notes about the bits that apply to you, so's not to get too lost in a sea of highlighted sheets of paper.

DLA_Guide_NACC.pdf

DLA_Guide_Newcastle_gov.pdf

DLA_Guide_BHAS.pdf

MSSociety_Claiming_DLA_2011.pdf

Edited by Marina
Updated MS Society guide

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sluggish
Marina

The Benefits and Work website http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/disability-living-allowance-dla has various free tips and tactics for claiming DLA for what to do if you've been turned down. Registration is needed to get the tips.

For an additional annual fee of about £20 (with discounts for further years), you can subscribe to the site for a year and download a ton of guides in PDF and DOC form from here: http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants

There is also information on Incapacity Benefit and other benefits.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Topics

• DLA claim form

Can anyone give me some halpful advices about filling in a DLA form?   Please!

in General Discussion about MS

• Whohoo to my Slap Dash DLA Application form

You may remember me talking about my 2 hour DLA application form that I did not fill in myself... I was not able to write and the chap at Dial House helped, but he had not long come out of hospital from an op on his right hand... I was soo frightened is was not good enough as soo many people seemed to take weeks to do a form... this was done in an hour an a half I think and the writing was much to be desired (not his fault).... so much so I tried to tidy bits of it up as I was concerned is was a little ruff.. so with my leftie I tried to dot some i's and cross some t's.. anyway... Oh my gosh.. I got it!!!.... I am sooo thrilled... it will make soo much difference to me.... I have also joined an agency for some temp work in the hope of just seeing how I go on just a few days a week... Told them I need a chilled sit down job. Maybe 1 day first.. I really want to try and be in the outside world again.... Appreciating i may not be the most flexible candidate... But i thought to try...Annnddd guess what I spoke to the poeple that I paid to do the Excercise to music course and they are letting me do the written part i didnt do free of charge.. I did the dancing bit back in jan...im not sure i will be able to dance.. Well i can hope things get better..mwe will see.... But at least i will have completed it once i do the theory... And have it under my belt as an achievement.... Luckily I paid for this in Dec to do it in Jan but i was not really that brill at the time and asked them to put it on the back burner... it was just too much.. I was not able to cope...it was weird... two weeks later I was in A&E and a few days after that I was told I had MS... so no surprise I could not handle it. I cannot believe how my luck is up..... Annnd there is more..... someone I met some time ago has got in touch... we were never an item... just special to each other, (very special I think) I guess we thought a lot of each other... but were both not emotionally available... circumstances etc....and now.... well... I don't know yet... but it is sooo lovely to hear from him.... Initially I was not going to tell him about the MS.... I didn't want him to run... but I guess if he is special he won't and if I am special there is another good reason for him not running.... his reply was... It will be harder than that to get rid of me.... she displays a big GRIN. :))   He told me to listen to this song... maybe others feel the same about someone and could share it to show they care.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UeeIAJ0a0   Life is soooo much easier with some lightness.... it is amazing.... I am sooo going to project good, positive things.... it works.   x   I hope others are feeling good.... I read lots of things where my heart gets pulled on here.... part of me feels a wee bad for feeling sooo blessed right now..... hopefully I can share some hope around... sprinkle sprinkle my multi coloured dust.   xxx  

• ESA form causing upset

Hi everyone, I hope everyone Ian feeling ok today. I've not been on for a while just been in a kind a daze lately. I was in hospital last week for tests and review. The psychologist has decided I need counselling, to see if that can help me to walk properly again.   I have applied for ESA and they have sent me another form to fill in about what's wrong with me and it is just upsetting me. I just get scared that I fill it in wrong, I forget dates and appointments and they want to know. But the thing that upsets me the most is I have to go over everything that is wrong with me and be reminded of everything I can't do. These forms really should come with a box of tissues.   Sorry for going on marianne xxx

• Completed DLA form

Hello All,   I have spent much of this week-end completely my DLA form. I was warned it was like War and Peace, and it was......although more war than peace I think !   I did it on several sessions, but, found it quite distressing to actually think about every task and write it down. Made me feel quite useless and near 90 years old.   My partner helped me, and we ventured out to test my walking speed ! Well that made me feel much better, getting over-taken on the sidewalk by grey haird old ladies who were carrying shopping bags !. Got home worked out the speed, and was even more dimayed to find that I fitted into the 'Very Slow' box. It's all very depressing.   I've posted the damned thing today. Postal strike looming, so I forked out a fiver to have it 'Next day delivery and signed for' I hope they don't lose it, I don't think I could face filling it in again !   I'd heard that it can take months to get a reply/decision from them.....and many are rejected..... Rejected ?!?!? So fingers crossed.   Hope you are all as well as can be expected, even if it is a dull old day   Scully x

• DVLA Form Advice Please

Hi Everyone   I am about to fill in the DVLA form and I've got to 2 sections where I'm not sure what to put down. They are:   "Do you have serious problems with your memory or poor concentration"   and   "Do you have problems with fatigue? If so, tell us how it affects you when driving and during your normal day"   My main symptoms are fatigue,bad memory and concentration, but how bad is "serious"? I am about to be tested in the next 2 weeks, do you think I should wait till then? I don't drive very far now because of the fatigue and I just take things easy and do things in small amounts with a rest in between, but is this suitable to put down or will they take it to the extreme?   Has anyone else put something down for these questions and what type of thing did you say?   Thanks  

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.