The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
rachy

Heeelp please ..spasms are killing me!

101 posts in this topic Last Reply

rachy

Sat watching tv last night and suddenly my feet felt hot/burning sensation.. then leg cramp kicked in.. this is a new symptom for me as i get it allot in arm. Suddenly my foot went crazy..i had no control over it unless i pressed it hard to the ground.. The muscle went that tight my foot went stiff it felt like my anckle was being strangled and my bones were going to snap. omg ive never had pain like it.. i was crying my eyes out i dont know if it was pain or fright. Took my diazepam did not really help .. Hubby wanted me to go to hospital but i knew i would not make it without too much pain and i would be sat for hours to be told to go home...I sat it out till it eased enought to take a sleeping pill and go to bed...

This morning woke early .. tried to walk on it .. i think im panicing myself to put pressure on it as i dont want to trigger it off again.. my right foot feels like sponge ....

I think i will ring GP see if theres anything other than Diazepam i can take ..

Im sitting here worrying if its going to happen again.. every little spasm i jump lol

Do anyone know of any meds or excersize i can do to help it? :winkgrin:

Cheers Rachy xxxx

Rachy xx

Hezza

Hi Rachy,

I can't help as I haven't experienced this symptom but wanted to drop a line to send you a huge hug. I do appreciate how it can be when a new "symptom" appears. You think you've got "used" to your MS and it decides to mix it up a little!

Take care, definitely speak to your GP & I'm sure some of the others will be along soon with advice.

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

debzsanderson

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering bad spasms - Mark gets them and the best way he deals with them is try not to stop them befor they finish naturally.Take a few deep breaths and try not to tense up. Mark has had them so bad he has almost been pulled out of his wheelchair.Sometimes if you have someone else around a gentle massage helps to slow them down quicker. Tiredness seems to make them worse for Mark so if you can have a rest befor you get really tired it might prevent them. It might be worth asking your MS Nurse for advice or even try for a physio referral (unfortunately unless it's "urgent" you may have a long wait!!).

Good luck

Debbie and Mark

Mark has PP MS but I am his partner and do the posts as he cant use the computer!!

peter

Bachlofen and Tizanadin could be used I was given Tizanadin and now hardly ever get the spasms in my legs now

Peter

STILL LIVING ( I think )

DXed 2000 PPMS Wheelchair bound

rachy

Cheers guys for the reply .. i have an apointment at 3pm with GP i just had a bath to try and relax but now my right eye is drooping ?? omg i think my right side of body is going funny .. looks like ive had a stroke ...

cheers Rachy xxx

Rachy xx

Hezza

Good luck with your GP. Let us know how you get on x

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

rachy

Docs gave me a supply of baclofen to see how i get on if this dont work i dont know what to do .. all its seems to have done so far is make me tierd .. spasms still there but ill give it time to work.. :winkgrin:

Cheers once again :winkgrin:

Rachy xx

Rachy xx

peter

If Bachlofen is the same as Tizanadin it will take about 5 days

Good luck Rachy

Peter

STILL LIVING ( I think )

DXed 2000 PPMS Wheelchair bound

Fine
WobblyGreg

My spasms started after i took baclofen for spasticity in leg, maybe coincidence i dont know? but i find my spasms are usauly when i sit funny or get up fast.

I have had two physios one hates baclofen(says it makes legs weak and muscle waste ) the other thinks it helps!

Depending on how mobile you are i find stretching out on my stomach with my arms crossed against my chest stops mine,also i think stretching exercises in general help.

Id add that my spasms are also made worse when tired and i have to remember to be realy careful how i get up then,also i am still finding right dose of LDN which can also make spasms worse.

Michelle

Hi Rach,

I take a neuropathic pain killer called, Pregabalin for the burning sensations. They do help,but don't cure it! Alll these new symptoms can be very scary. I won't say don't worry, as we all do.especially when it's all new to us.

Mish x :hearts:

rachy

Cheers again for all your support ...

I have taken 60mg of baclofen today and the spasms have stpped but the cramp is still there ..its still really tight around my ankle but im hoping one more before bed and a sleeping pill will help.. *fingers crossed for tomorrow ay?*

xxx

Rachy xx

mayb

Hi rachy that all sounded really gruesome and I hope you are on the right stuff now. I take gabapentin for the burning sensations but I have never had anything quite as bad as those cramps sound. Makes my little toe lifting episodes sound a bit of a whimpy thing really. Have a HUGE HUG from me and I hope it is the end of that little nasty.

Mayb

rachy

Cheers again for replys....

Mike (hubby) rang out of hours doctor today as im still spasming and cramping quite bad i fell asleep earlier and woke up screaming ..mike said id be twitching and wimpering in sleep... the doctor said to double dose of baclofen.. i will try again and see how it goes.. i find my whole body is shaking but dont know if its the pain ....

i will sit it out a while as i hate going to hospital..

Rachyxxxx

Rachy xx

rachy

Thanks Mish was good to chat huni you cheer'd me up loads xxx your a star xxx :hearts:

Rachy xx

Michelle

What can I say :titanic: It's good to be welsh :hearts:

Mish x

Gaynor

Hi Rachy,

Like Cara I can't help with any further suggestions as I don't experience those... but it sounds like you've gone through hell the last few days and was wondering how you are today....any better?

At least you know too it could take a few days before the medication kicks in too .... although I hope it works sooner for you.

Gaynor

rachy
Hi Rachy,

Like Cara I can't help with any further suggestions as I don't experience those... but it sounds like you've gone through hell the last few days and was wondering how you are today....any better?

At least you know too it could take a few days before the medication kicks in too .... although I hope it works sooner for you.

Gaynor

ive been to hospital they dosed me up on diazepam and trebled my baclfen im feeling drunk but still pain i thinnk im a bit out it will lay down now i am desperate for sleep

Rachy xx

mayb

ooooh rachy I hope it will all stop soon and you can get some much needed shut eye. I am there with you in the early hours and willing you to feel better.

Mayb

Vegged Out
Shirl

HI Rachy

I'm late with possible 'advice' as usual but would say that Baclofen sorted my leg spasms out and when I tried to stop taking it, I discovered how well it had been working! So I restarted it ad have stayed on it since then. I am also taking Gabapentin for neuropathic pain; in my case, this is in the trigeminal nerve (facial pain).

I do hope you are having a quieter time of it now.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

rachy

Im now taking 30mg diazepam.. 90mg baclofen....tramodol...and 7mg zimovane ..and 10mg magnesium ive never taken so many tablets in my life lol ..i have been using a crutch to get about and spasms still there but very mild now *thankfully* im ok until my foot gets cramped and turns inwards .. thanks for all the replies you have all been so kind.. :hearts:

Lets hope i actually get some sleep tonight lol

god bless you all..

Rachy xx

Rachy xx

Gaynor

Hope you managed to get some sleep Rachy?

Gaynor

linds

Helo Rachy,

Let us hope the crisis point has gone and that you get some releif. Hug and warm wishes, Lindsx

Lindsx

rachy

had my MRI today so *finges crossed*

Rachy xx

rachy

*update*

Been getting about on crutches the last few days, :cheerleader3: yay the foot spasms have calmed down but bottom of my foot feels numb.. :shithappens: but im just glad the pain has gone away.. lets hope i will get feeling bk in next few days *fingers crossed*

Rachy xx

Rachy xx

Gaynor

Let's hope you carry on feeling better Rachy, You've been through the mill. Like you say at least the pain has subsided now.

Gaynor