The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

Smileys

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

This is more to do with the Forum itself than anything else...

I've now got around 400 smilies :bye: . Thing is, if I upload them all, it could take you ages to scroll through them all, as there's no way of "organising" them into "categories" or anything (a bit like the avatars are presently in categories) on this particular version of this forum software.

Until such time as I upgrade to the newer version of this forum software (if I ever get around to it and which could take me a little while and would mean the board being down for a couple of days whilst I do the upgrade), do you all want as many as 300-400 smilies, or should I try to remove and change a few from time to time instead? Not that I'm 100% sure smilies can be organised in the newer version, but I have a sneaky suspicion there's a way around it :crutch:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

crispy

Hi Marina, :crutch:

I've now got around 400 smilies  . Thing is, if I upload them all, it could take you ages to scroll through them all, as there's no way of "organising" them into "categories"

We probably don't need that many, but it would be nice to have a choice.

I'm not sure if the limit on the number of smilies in one post is a system restraint, or if it's something you get the chance to override, but if not, perhaps you could post one of each (together with the :code:) laid out in a useful format and have it as a sticky for reference.

Just a thought :thought: :bye:

................................ :dog: ........................................

All the best,

Chris P

Sluggish
Marina

Ummm... yeah... I didn't quite think I'd upload quite all 400 anyway, tempting as it may sound :whistling:

There is a limit on the number of smileys, both per line and per post, but these can be changed and increased :yes:

Might take me a while to do a sticky (pinned topic) on the smileys as I'd have to manually type in each of the codes (some of which I'll change a bit anyway), but I'll try when I get a round tuit :crutch:

Marina

crispy

Hi Marina,

I'm sure you are going to feel so rested after a night on your new bed, that you'll finish up looking for more things to do. :bye:

Take care, :crutch:

All the best,

Chris P

Sluggish
Marina
:crutch: I should think I'm more likely to stay in bed more!

Marina

Sluggish
Marina
There is a limit on the number of smileys, both per line and per post, but these can be changed and increased

I've considerably increased the number of smilies you can use per post. :bye:

Am working on adding more smilies, will let you know when - apart from which, you'll know anyway as you'll see them :bye: Might be a day or two or more though... :crutch:

Marina

Sluggish
Marina

I'm about to work on the smilies themselves, so if you see them all disappear for a while :crutch: - don't worry! They'll be back and with loadsa new ones too :bye:

Marina

crispy

I was going to say I'll look forward to the end results Marina, but :crutch: is certainly not much of a smilie. :(

Am I right in thinking that some of the existing ones have had their code names changed? I'm sure I used :yes: quite a lot, but now it seems to be nodding, :bye: - perhaps a few others too.

He really is an ugly beggar, old eyebrows. :bye:

All the best,

Chris P

Sluggish
Marina

LOL, I haven't finished yet...! It's a real PITA doing these smilies... I ain't about to repeat this process, at least not with this version where it's murder to try to sort them... it's taken me all day so far doing this... and that is WITH a special hack to speed it up! :crutch:

The easiest way in the end, believe it or not, was to upload the entire collection I have... then to delete some. And now I'm trying to sort through those that are very similar to each other and removing them... So the eternally long list of smileys to scroll through will get a bit shorter - eventually!

Yes, "yes" has become "nodding". There'll be a 2nd "nodding" for you, as you seem to use it quite a bit :-) And a few more "wave"s for you too ;-)

I kinda like ol' eyebrows, he's funny and a bit different - I thought so anyway... :-/

Marina

Sluggish
Marina

Okey dokey! :wow2::bye:... There were about 120 smilies before, believe it or not... And it's now double that, with quite a few new ones! So there are well over 200 now... :cold: Probably way too many, but it's difficult to decide which ones to remove, having already removed over 200 others... :cold:

Thing is, the more smilies we want, the more scrolling we have do... :help:When I get around to upgrading the forum to the latest version, it'll be easier for me to organise the smilies, and I believe there's a hack I can get to give you the ability to have a "favourites" for your most used smilies, which will no doubt come in very handy for some of you! :idea:

In the meantime, you can have fun finding all the new smilies and getting used to them :lmao:

Word of warning though... :yuck: If you're still on 56k dial-up and not on DSL broadband, it could take a rather long time at first for the whole list of smilies to load... :bye: It even takes a little while for those on broadband for them to load... :oops:

Right, having spent all day at this, and half the night too, I'm now off to :bed::crutch:

:bye:

Marina

crispy

:bye::cold::crutch::cold::bye:

:yuck::wow2::idea: What else is there to say? :oops:

Well done Marina :help:

All the best,

Chris P

Lula_lulabel

:clap2: Wow Marina... these look cool! :airman:

:cheerleader: you are a clever girl :cheerleader:

:bellydancer: der ner ner ner ner, der ner ner ner ner ner ner :bellydancer:

:boobs: omg! lmao this one's very bizzaar! :david:

:chat: this should get us going a bit... altho it takes me ages to decide, lol.

:rain: you sure have brightened up my day :horse:

:mermaid: ThanQ Marina :mermaid:

:love: Lula xxx :catroll:

sprinkling magic all around

dawney-t

WOW, YES - these are so brilliant. :cheerleader: I take my hat off to you Marina. I hope you're still :catroll: in the land of nod after all that hard work :bellydancer: Well done. These are gonna be great to play with :cheerleader: You are soooooo clever. :bellydancer: and have been such a busy :mermaid:

Take care

Love Dawn x

MS diagnosed May 2004, PPMS diagnosed July 2004

ddgorgeous

Marina,

A big thank you, they really are great, guess what I will be doing this afternoon instead of shopping at the supermarket!

Take care and best wishes,

Ron :bellydancer:

ppms, dx 2001

Sluggish
Marina

Yes, well, looking at this page alone, I can see what fun you're all having with the new smilies :bellydancer: Glad you like 'em!

Crispy, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to post all 250 or so of them with codes too, as you suggested... I'd have to manually insert them one by one then manually type in the codes, which could take forever... On the other hand, here are the codes on their own, dunno if this helps any. If it does, let me know, and I'll copy them as a sticky in the "How to use the Forum" section.

:bye:  
:burger:  
:airman:  
:angel:  
:angry3:  
:argue:  
:artist:  
:attention:  
:baby:  
:balloon:  
:bandaged:  
:banghead:  
:bashfish:  
:bashhead:  
:bath2:  
:bday3:  
:bed:  
:bee:  
:bellydancer:  
:bestwishes:  
:bicycle:  
:bin2:  
:blink:  
:pile:  
:blush3:  
:boat:  
:bomb:  
:boo:  
:boobs:  
:book:  
:bottle:  
:bounce:  
:bow:  
:boxing:  
:bricks:  
:bunny:  
:cake:  
:callme:  
:cannaleaf:  
:catroll:  
:catzzz:  
:censored:  
:chat:  
:cheerleader:  
:cheers:  
:clap2:  
:clapping:  
:clapping2:  
:clouds:  
:coffee2:  
:cold:  
:computerbash:  
:console:  
:constipated:  
:cool:  
:countsheep:  
:couple:  
:cowboy:  
:crazy:  
:crutch:  
:cry:  
:cuckooclock:  
:david:  
:deaf:  
:devilgrin:  
:doc:  
:dog:  
:dogdrink:  
:dolphin:  
:door:  
:dramaqueen:  
:drink:  
:driving:  
:drunk:  
:dumbo:  
:eat:  
:eating:  
:eep:  
:elephant:  
:shithappens:  
:eyebrows:  
:faint:  
:fear:  
:fiery:  
:fingers:  
:fingershake:  
:fish:  
:flaguk:  
:flowerface2:  
:flowerface:  
:flu:  
:flush:  
:football:  
:fridge:  
:frog:  
:gaga:  
:ghost:  
:goodluck:  
:greencar:  
:grrrr:  
:gunray:  
:hairraising:  
:halo:  
:happy2:  
:harp:  
:headscratch:  
:headspin:  
:heartbeat:  
:hehehe:  
:hello:  
:help:  
:help2:  
:high:  
:hippy:  
:hoop:  
:hooray:  
:hoover:  
:horse:  
:howdy:  
:iagree:  
:icecream:  
:idea:  
:ignore:  
:ironing:  
:jackass:  
:jackinbox:  
:jail:  
:jawdrop:  
:jazzband:  
:judge:  
:juggle:  
:kewlpics:  
:kiss:  
:kissmyarse:  
:laundry:  
:leap:  
:lightbulb:  
:lightening:  
:lmao:  
:lol:  
:lol3:  
:lolbash:  
:lolsign:  
:love:  
:lovesmooch:  
:loveydovey:  
:lurk:  
:mail:  
:makefun:  
:man:  
:mermaid:  
:monkey:  
:mooning:  
:moonmonkey:  
:mouse:  
:mummy:  
:nanana:  
:no2:  
:nod:  
:nodding:  
:noentry:  
:nono:  
:nonono:  
:noway:  
:nurse2:  
:nuts:  
:oldman:  
:oops:  
:ouch:  
:painhelp:  
:pancake:  
:paper:  
:parachute:  
:party:  
:peekaboo:  
:penguin2:  
:phone:  
:pig:  
:plane:  
:playball:  
:playboy:  
:please:  
:pokefinger:  
:pokeineye:  
:pregnant:  
:pssst:  
:pullhair:  
:question2:  
:rain:  
:rant:  
:redx:  
:robot:  
:rockon:  
:rofl:  
:rofl2:  
:rofl3:  
:rolleyes:  
:rose:  
:rtfm:  
:sadwalk:  
:seesaw:  
:seranade:  
:shakehead:  
:shakehead3:  
:sheeplook:  
:shrug:  
:shutup:  
:singing:  
:siren:  
:skipping:  
:sleep4:  
:smarty:  
:smoker:  
:smoker2:  
:snake:  
:snow:  
:sorry:  
:spacecraft:  
:spin:  
:splat:  
:squiffy:  
:stars:  
:stereo:  
:stir:  
:stretcher:  
:stupid:  
:sun2:  
:sweating:  
:sweep:  
:swing:  
:tabletalk:  
:teddy:  
:tellingu:  
:thanks:  
:thanx:  
:think:  
:thumbdown:  
:thumbsup:  
:titanic:  
:toiletwait:  
:tongue2:  
:toot:  
:toothbrush:  
:tortoiseride:  
:trampoline:  
:treadmill:  
:tvhappy:  
:unfair:  
:unsure:  
:vampire:  
:vanishu:  
:violin:  
:wacko:  
:walk:  
:war:  
:wave:  
:wave2:  
:wave3:  
:wavebunny:  
:weakestlink:  
:welcome2:  
:what:  
:wheelchair:  
:whisper:  
:whistle:  
:wine:  
:wink2:  
:witch:  
:wow2:  
:wtf:  
:yawn:  
:yuck:  

Marina

ddgorgeous

Marina,

I do not know if anyone else has had this happen to them also, but thought I would mention it.

Last night Teddy was writing and playing with the new smilies when the pc here went a little nuts, it was when all the smilies were being displayed, there is the button to show all smilies (show all), or there are a few that are always displayed (clickable smilies). The clickable smilies were ok, it was only after clicking the 'show all' heading at the bottom, they started to be displayed and then it all went a little crazy. The smilies disappeared anmd the screen kind of went upside down. The 'Start ' button was at the top let corner of the screen, the clock was sometimes at the top right corner of the screen and the screen went grey. I thought it was my pc and tried rebooting, while writing later I tried the 'show all' smilies again and the same thing happened again.

I am using W2k professional now and not XP and thought it might have something to do with it.

ps. see the regular clickable smilies are ok

ppms, dx 2001

Sluggish
Marina

Hi Ron

I personally have never experienced anything like it, whether on this or any other forum; and so far no-one else has mentioned it. So I'm somewhat stumped as to what it might be causing it for you :bellydancer:

There is one faint possibility though. Have you tried the "Show All" link again today? If so, did the same thing happen? If not - then it's possible that you happened to click it just at a precise moment when I was trying to install a different hack (modification) for the forum, which might possibly have interfered with anyone trying to use the smilies at that minute.

It also shouldn't be a Windows issue, since the forum software should be ok for all versions of IE and most other browsers.

Please try it again and see what happens now. If it continues, then try emptying your cache via the Temp Internet Files rather than via My Computer - Disk Cleanup, and then trying again.

If you still get the problem, let me know, not that I'd necessarily know what it is if nobody else is having the same problem.

Are you on broadband or 56k dial-up?

Sorry not to be of much help...

Marina

ddgorgeous

Marina,

A big thank you for that, I will try your suggestions shortly and put any results back here later. If it happens again, it can take ages to get up and running again, there are two different operating systems on this pc and loading it all takes ages. It might take a while, but I will let you know how it all goes.

I am using broadband and not 56k dial up, it is much better!

ppms, dx 2001

Sluggish
Marina

One more thought, just in case... Do you by any chance have JavaScript disabled? The "Show All" screen is called by a JavaScript, so one wouldn't be able to access it unless JavaScript is enabled, which it normally is by default.

Ooh crickey :bellydancer: I don't mean for you to have to spend ages reloading your computer...

Also, have you checked your computer for spyware etc? Sometimes, spy and malware can cause odd things like that to happen...

Good luck!

Marina

ddgorgeous

Hi Marina,

Here goes, I will try and use some of the smilies located in the 'show all' area and see what happens.

:cheerleader:

:mermaid:

It all seems to be ok so far, it sounds like I was trying to use a smily when you were maybe changing everything last night.

A big thank you for all your help :cheerleader:

Ron :catroll:

ppms, dx 2001

Sluggish
Marina

That's a relief, Ron! Especially if it didn't mean your having to reboot again... phew!

Anyway, glad we got it sorted out for you :bellydancer:

Marina