The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
jillart

DVLA Form Advice Please

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

jillart

Hi Everyone

I am about to fill in the DVLA form and I've got to 2 sections where I'm not sure what to put down. They are:

"Do you have serious problems with your memory or poor concentration"

and

"Do you have problems with fatigue? If so, tell us how it affects you when driving and during your normal day"

My main symptoms are fatigue,bad memory and concentration, but how bad is "serious"? I am about to be tested in the next 2 weeks, do you think I should wait till then? I don't drive very far now because of the fatigue and I just take things easy and do things in small amounts with a rest in between, but is this suitable to put down or will they take it to the extreme?

Has anyone else put something down for these questions and what type of thing did you say?

Thanks

:cheerleader3:

Life has become abstract

Jill (aka Smudge)

Heste

I think you need to put the form aside for a moment and just ask yourself how safe am I on the road. Do you believe you are safe when you do drive?

They are going to ask your doctor anyway. They don't just rely on your opinion.

Now if you really believe you are safe to drive then answer the question no I don't have a serious problem with poor concentration. If you are unsure then that's really the same as not safe. Can you give up driving for a while? Its better we decide this for ourselves rather than find out by having a serious accident.

When I filled in my form I answered no to both questions. The first was easy, my concentration is fine, my memory is fine.

The second question is badly worded but made my answer easier. Do I have a problem with fatigue? No. I have fatigue but I don't have a problem with it. They don't ask "Do I suffer from fatigue?".

They will ask your doctor and test you if necessary. The form is simply asking you your opinion. You can't give a "wrong" answer.

Regards,

John :cheerleader3:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• DVLA Not informed

Hi all,   My wife was diagnosed with MS over 10 years ago. She has been on medication for the condition for quite a few years, since being on the injections she has not relapsed and shows no symptoms at all. We did inform the DVLA when she was first diagnosed by sending them a letter. However, that’s the last thing we did and didn’t hear anything back from them.   Last week we were sorting out some clutter and came across my wife’s paper licence and discovered it still has her maiden name displayed. So we decided to collect and fill out a form for a new photo licence to change to her married name. One of the items on the form asks is you have any medical condition that may affect your driving, one of them is MS. So I started reading up and discovered if you have MS your licence must be renewed every 3 years after filling out a medical form. If this is the case it seems that the DVLA did not receive the initial letter informing them of the condition as wife still has old paper licence.   My wife’s condition does not affect her driving ability in the slightest. However, we are now worried if we inform them we will be fined up to a £1000. My question is has anyone that you know of been fined for not informing them immediately when the condition was diagnosed?   Thanks in advance

in General Discussion about MS

• DVLA - Licence for MSers can now be for 5 years

I’ve always known a driving licence for people with MS, when limited, has always been a 3-yr licence.   When I first informed the DVLA of my MS, at the time of my DX, they didn’t limit my licence. However, 3 years ago, they did, to a 3-yr licence.   This year, I got the reminder, filled in several pages of questions, which were pretty much the same as 3 years ago, and was told I had to have a medical with my GP. This initially terrified me, as I couldn’t think why on earth they’d need one, as my replies to their questions hadn’t changed since 3 years ago, and I don't have problems that could affect my “fitness to drive.”   Having had the medical, they then sent me my new licence, which is now for 5 years! Whoopee, I thought, but couldn’t figure out why it should have increased from 3 to 5 years.   A couple of days later, I got a letter from the DVLA, explaining: “DVLA has recently been advised that in instances where a driver has had multiple sclerosis for at least three years and has been able to demonstrate that their condition has remained stable, it may be appropriate to issue longer duration medical licences.”   I don’t know how recently “recently” is, but I thought this might be of interest to other MSers who might not know about this new duration for MSers.   I also don’t know what constitutes “stable” in this respect, but maybe the cause of my having to have a medical was for the GP to confirm that not much has changed in my SPMS over the past 3 years, in relation to the DVLA’s questions on the form?   Re the medical with my GP, I needn’t have worried. It just seemed to consist of asking me the same questions as were on the form, and doing a vision test for what I guess was checking my peripheral vision: closing one eye whilst pointing out which of her hands my GP was wriggling her fingers with.   By the way, the whole process, from the initial reminder form to receiving my licence, took a whopping 3 months!

• DVLA & Insurance

Is that correct that if u have MS u MUST inform DVLA and your insurance companys...............if u do not do this IF involved in even a minor RTA u can be fined 10000 and classed as having no insurance and possible loss of licence altogethe???     Edited by Scully to include 'tags' to previous discussion on this topic

• DVLA issues

Hi guys,   I don't hold a full driving licence, just a provisional. After my diagnosis way back in feb I dug it out and sent it off to declare my dx, also to change my address and surname (better late than never!) as I suddenly realised how much i need to be able to drive as it will give me so much more independence. I filled it all out and got a letter back to say they needed my dr's details etc, sent off in march. Got a letter today (yes today 10m on!) saying they still had not made contact with my neuro, could I chase him up and get back to them? I have changed neuro's in this time and according to my nurse, current neuro is off until January (nice life for sum huh?!). So what do I do now? Just wait or try the old neuro again? Would he still count as my doctor? Why do we always end up having to organise things?!   All advice welcome, thanks Lx

• DLA claim form

Can anyone give me some halpful advices about filling in a DLA form?   Please!

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.