The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Heste

The perils of Photography

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Heste

So having given up archery and sold my bow I have taken up Photography. Friday lunchtime I thought I would take a slow limp along the southbank of the Thames with my Canon 450D. I parked in a disabled bay near the tate modern and walked upstream towards the London Eye. I was photographing various buildings, sea-gulls, strange blokes engaged in sand sculpture. Then I arrived at the London Eye. I photographed that too. I then carried on walking through the tunnel under Westminster bridge and photographed St Stephens Tower (known to the plebeians as Big Ben) and the houses of parliment. It's a classic shot with the river in the foreground and the buildings almost silhouetted by the bright sky.

At that point in my little expedition I was approached by two Police Officers. They wanted to know what I was doing and who I was. They explained they were interviewing me under prevention of terrorism act. I cooperated of course. They took my details. While not wanting to wind them up in any way but I did query it. I am was after all on the southbank of the river photographing one of the most photographed buildings in the world. However, apparently I was inside the security zone and I guess I don't look like a tourist.

On completion of the interview I asked if I can carry on. Go ahead they said. Have a nice day.

They made no attempt to check the information I had given them. I suspect it is a show of presence.

Regards,

John :winkgrin:

Gaynor

OMG poor you!!!

Shocking, but is quite funny too....thanks for the giggle (it's the way you write things!!!)

Gaynor :winkgrin:

Vegged Out
Shirl

So now you want to know if HM Govt will be issuing a 'Prevention of Terrorist Photographers Wearing Business Attire and Using a Walking Stick' act? Amusing but not nice for you at the time.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Michelle

I guess it's nice to see them doing their job. Maybe they thought your camera was equiped with a special gadget like James Bond has :winkgrin: I was stopped and question by Chinese police men whilst working in C.China. I guess I also looked suspicious with my camera :winkgrin:

You be careful with that camera of yours, you never know what it will get you in to. :hearts:

Mikey

It's sure that photography isn't without its perils. I'm an enthusiastic photographer and I like to photograph people but sometimes they don't like me doing it so I get hassle.

But the worst case was when I happened by a school and saw a couple of cute little girls making faces at each other in the playground. It was such a great shot of a schoolyard scene that I couldn't resist. I snapped off a couple of telephoto shots but before I knew it there was a firm hand of an even firmer headmaster on my shoulder.

"What do you think you're doing?" (I didn't get it.)

"I'm taking pictures."

"Of what?" (I still didn't get it.)

"Of those two little girls."

"That's what I thought, and that's why I've called the police." (Believe it or not, I still didn't get it.)

Then I got it. He thought I was a pervert interested in little girls. So I ended up erasing all the photos (it was digital) in front of him and shuffling on my way feeling relieved I hadn't been arrested.

There was a time when children at play was a pleasant and uplifting subject for photographers. No one did it for perverse reasons. Now, parents can't even photograph their own childrens' school plays. What a world!

Mikey

debzsanderson

Its such a shame that is it necessary for people to react with such suspicion. This happened to someone I know (a male) who was taking photos of his kids on the beach and a mother had thought he was taking pics of her children.It makes me feel so sad but with so much in the news about abductions etc it seems to be needed as a procaution.

debz xx

Mark has PP MS but I am his partner and do the posts as he cant use the computer!!

Heste

Was taking pictures, again on the Southbank, of a mixture of seagulls and pigeons enjoying a feeding frenzy after someone had thrown down some breadcrumbs. Just as I was photographing them a toddler came running up, waving his arms and dispersing the birds. It would have made a great shot .....but.... I automatically lowered my camera. Its just how we have to be these days. The photo would not have been usable anyway as these days you can't sell a picture of a child without a minor model release signed by the parent or guardian.

Regards,

John :lolbash:

Mikey

John, in another post you spoke about how thinking negative things can sometimes make them come to be. I sometimes wonder if the way society seems to think everyone is suspicious doesn't give nasty ideas to some vulnerable people who might just become that way. There was less talk of the (extremely rare) negative aspects of photographing children when it wasn't a taboo.

I've taken candid shots of children in a pub when I sensed that the parents wouldn't object. Believe me, when you give them a nice print of their child the next day, they're delighted. I wasn't expecting or wanting to sell the shot of those little girls and I would no doubt have sent prints to the school for the parents to keep as nice souvenirs.

But you are right, that is not the way we can be these days. What a pity.

Mikey

Heste

There are times when its OK. You just have a gut feeling. I was at a fete manning a Community First Responder (CFR) stall. I used to be a CFR when I could still run (its part of the Ambulance Service, we get to casualties in rural communities faster than ambulances) and we had an Ambulance car on demonstration. Adults are never that interested but the kids love it. They get to sound the siren and dress up in the major disaster gear. I took a photo of one kid wearing the full kit, hard hat & visor, fluorescent jacket, gloves, etc. We would have put the back pack on him too but that might have squashed him. He looked very cool (what you could see of him under all this stuff). I sent his mum a copy of the photo.

If you like taking pictures of people then one way is take pictures at an event. I have some great pictures of people dressed as sheep taking a petition to Australia House in the Strand (remember that ship full of sheep that nobody wanted) and loads of pictures of the anti-war marches.

London is a great place to be a photographer (as long as you are always ready to give your name, address and a smile to any interested coppers).

Regards,

Mikey

I have an idea. We'll meet up in London with you dressed as a copper and me dressed as a schoolmaster. Then we'll each take pictures of the other in front of government buildings and schools. Who could possibly find fault with that?

Mikey

BTW, if you have good pictures of London, the First Post is running a competition of urban photos at the moment.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/45909,arts,p...n-pound200?WTmc

Heste

This reminds me of the group of school teachers who used to go on school trips and have their photos taken dressed up in appropriate costumes for the place they were visiting. One year they went to Hitler's mountain retreat and dressed as Nazi officers for their photograph....and they were promptly arrested.

Regards,

Mikey
and loads of pictures of the anti-war marches.

Don't get me going on the anti-war thing!

If we'd spent as much money on neurological research as we have killing people (including our own brave soldiers who could be fighting more useful battles) in Tibet, Iraq, Afghanistan, Mumbai and elsewhere, we'd have a cure for MS by now.

Gaynor

Whoaaa, let's not go near any war talk here.

Michelle

Hmm,

I think our boys are doing their duty, and if it were not for the like of them many years ago, we wouldn't have the freedom that we do today. There's plenty of money in the coffers to spend on research - the government, pct's etc,just don't want to put their hands into their pockets. I was amazed at how many billions the goverment had, when it came to bailing out the money markets.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Especially when the NHS is in such a state.

Mucho LOve

Michelle :you-rock:

Mikey
I think our boys are doing their duty, and if it were not for the like of them many years ago, we wouldn't have the freedom that we do today.

I agree with you totally.

We need the military and I have nothing but respect for them and the difficult and dangerous job they do on our behalf. As Marina can tell you, "In Flanders Fields" is the only poem I can recite by heart. My father was a WWII hero of incredible courage, but he is also a committed pacifist who nevertheless supports the military men and women of today.

The problem isn't with the military. It's with the people we elect to decide how the military is "used". Fighting Hitler was a just and justified war. But what did Saddam ever do to us? He was an evil man and deserved what he got but what have we solved by sending our soldiers there? Everyone loses except a few profiteers.

It's also they way we treat the military by not equipping them properly or giving them decent accommodation and care. The MoD decorated its offices rather than sending body armour to the troops. Last year there were even people who were insulting soldiers in public. When I see a man in uniform, I buy him a drink!

I'm anti war when it's the wrong war. But I'm always for the military men and women who do their duty by following orders. The trick is to elect people who will give the right orders from the top.

Mikey

Mikey
Whoaaa, let's not go near any war talk here.

You're right. It's the wrong place for such talk. Sorry.

But I'd still like to see a lot more money put into MS research. As Michelle points out, they can find the funds for other things.

debzsanderson

My brother is a Captain in the Royal Marines and will be in Afghanistan for xmas this year..............

It worries me constantly when you hear about the deaths and injuries of soldiers. But at the end of the day he chose to do it - Unlike other countries were young men are forced to enlist and fight for their countries.

I am so proud of him and wish him a safe and quick return home next year.

debz xx

Mark has PP MS but I am his partner and do the posts as he cant use the computer!!

Mikey
My brother is a Captain in the Royal Marines and will be in Afghanistan for xmas this year...

Debz, thank him from those of us who admire his service to duty. He'll be fine. He's probably safer there than driving on a French motorway!

Gaynor

Debz he'll be in good company.

Mike, apology accepted and I agree with you MS needs more funding. I'm glad you're behind our boys 'n' gals spread far and wide. Christmas will be tough, however my parents will be over so that'll be nice.

Gaynor