The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
elma

Gabapentin - Normal reaction?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

elma

Have tried to send an e-mail to ALL you lovely people to wish you all the best for the festive season, but didn't work, so hope you can pass on.

Also a question-I saw a new neurologist last week, she was really nice-said the most important thing was to talk, which i've been trying to do since dx

Anyway, she prescribed gabopentin, which I started today. one tablet and I am all over the place and to increase to three.

Is this a normal reaction? and does it settle down?

love,

Elma.

Michelle

Hi Elma,

What do you mean by all over the place? I take Pregabalin which is a similar med,except you can't increase it as much as Gabapentin. It can take a few days, indeed weeks before your body gets used to taking these type of meds. And it is quite normal to increase the dosage slowly. Without knowing exactly how Gabapentin is affecting you, I can't really say if it's a 'normal' reaction. If you're really concerned about the effects, talk this over with your g.p,neuro,MS nurse or NHS Direct.

Thankyou for your Christmas wishes. I had a really nice time.

Michelle :happy2:

mayb

I get on fine with gabapentin (neurontin) and can't remember having any problematical initial reactions to it. Is it your head or your body or both that are affected badly by this and in what way? I do know that it has a long list of possible side effects. It is probably worth giving your body a bit of time to get used to it but there are other things you could take if they just don't suit you.

As cara says best to check it out with someone who can give you medical advice on it if you are worried.

Mayb

Hezza

Hi Elma,

I'm afraid I can't help with the gabapentin question as I don't have any experience of this med. I did want to say thank you for your Christmas wishes though :happy2:

Hope you had a good time despite being all over the place!

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hello Elma, I have just had to double my daily intake of Gabapentin as I suffered a return of Trigeminal Neuralgia on Boxing Day morning. The effect is just as when I began it - the pain is being held at bay until a dose is due but I am very sleepy indeed. Rather than fight it, I am enjoying my duvet mornings and early nights. I am being very careful to use my walking stick indoors, the wheelchair if needed and generally taking things steady until my body is used to this dosage.

Hope that helps you eel more positive about Gabapentin.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Oops

I felt like I'd been hit by my own wagon when I first took Gabapentin, and the same again when I upped the dose. On both occasions things had settled down to almost zero side effects within a week, though, so give yourself a bit of time and it may well settle. I also only take it at night because I drive for a living, so theoretically I sleep through any remaining side-effects - I'm certainly safe to drive a 44 tonner 8 hours later. Well, DVLA reckon so anyway... :cowboy::drunk::hearts:

Apologies in advance if I post then vanish for a bit - I work away from home and will be back at the weekend!!!

elma

Thanks for all the replies.

I increased the gabopentin to 600mg and the weird feeling in my head has settled a bit.I haven't managed to increase it more.

I feel as if I have lockjaw though but Shirl's mention of trigeminal struck a chord.

I had that years ago but if gabopentin helps it, how has this happened since i started it??

elma
I felt like I'd been hit by my own wagon when I first took Gabapentin, and the same again when I upped the dose. On both occasions things had settled down to almost zero side effects within a week, though, so give yourself a bit of time and it may well settle. I also only take it at night because I drive for a living, so theoretically I sleep through any remaining side-effects - I'm certainly safe to drive a 44 tonner 8 hours later. Well, DVLA reckon so anyway... :winkgrin::winkgrin::lolbash:

Thanks,

I think I'll try taking them at night too, as have to drive to get to work.

mayb

I have increased and cut down on my gabapentin at times and have always had to do it in stages - increasing the night time one first or decreasing it last. I think you should space your dose out over the day really and I don't have problems driving while on 1800mg per day taken in three 600 mg doses. Having said that, I have been on this for a couple of years now at varying doses and am well acclimatised to it.

Sounds like you need to talk to someone about managing the doses and the affect it is having on you personally just to reassure yourself about taking it and how best to go about the increasing of the dose.

Mayb

jillart

Hi elma

I've been on Gabapentin since June and settled into it quite quickly. At first I did feel a bit strange and had other side effects like a sore mouth which made life miserable at the time.

I found that I had to experiment a bit with the times I took it as if I took it late at night as instructed I did not sleep well. Now I have found the best times for me. Also with a lot of tablets it is best taking them with food (excuse to eat :winkgrin:) even if its a couple of biscuits.

If they are really knocking you for six, then do speak to your GP. Perhaps the dose is a bit high for you, or may be it may take a more gradual increase.

Just a couple of suggestions. I hope you get them working for you as they have helped me a great deal, and alot of other people here too.

Bye for now!

:winkgrin:

Life has become abstract

Jill (aka Smudge)

elma
Hi elma

I've been on Gabapentin since June and settled into it quite quickly. At first I did feel a bit strange and had other side effects like a sore mouth which made life miserable at the time.

I found that I had to experiment a bit with the times I took it as if I took it late at night as instructed I did not sleep well. Now I have found the best times for me. Also with a lot of tablets it is best taking them with food (excuse to eat :winkgrin: ) even if its a couple of biscuits.

If they are really knocking you for six, then do speak to your GP. Perhaps the dose is a bit high for you, or may be it may take a more gradual increase.

Just a couple of suggestions. I hope you get them working for you as they have helped me a great deal, and alot of other people here too.

Bye for now!

:winkgrin:

Thanks Jill,

I am taking one in the morning and one at night.

Yesterday, I managed to stand in a long supermarket queu(can't even spell now!) without the severe aching legs and the need to sit.

My arm has lost it's feeling which made scraping the car really difficult but can't have everything and happy to lose the pain even

temporarily,

Elma.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Reaction to vaccines

Hello again!  I have had a bad reaction to the second Pfizer jab and the flu jab which I had two weeks ago. After a few hours I cannot move my legs at all. Last time, this resulted in me falling in the shower room (I needed a wee!) and Dave phoning 999 so I could go to hospital by ambulance.  I am now due the booster jab which is apparently stronger, so concerned that I needed to manage this situation, I phoned the GP.  He said perhaps I shouldn't have the booster so I told him that medical consultant had advised that getting covid would be a lot worse than this reaction (clears up after two days). GP then asked me what I  would like to happen. I said to be admitted to hospital via A&E before my legs went. He then said he would write a letter explaining the situation to A&E but GPs have no power to tell A&E what to  do. On reflection, this leaves me feeling out on a limb. I've been advised by an admin to phone 111, which I will do tomorrow.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had bad reactions and also, what advice would you give please?  

in General Discussion about MS

• Pregabalin and gabapentin to become Class C drugs

This news appeared a couple of days ago, and sounds like it will be bad news for many MSers.   “Gabapentinoids are set to become controlled drugs, after a spike in the number of related deaths and series of studies warning about the adverse effects of the medication.” From: Pregabalin and gabapentin set to become controlled drugs http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/more-clinical-areas/pain-relief/pregabalin-and-gabapentin-set-to-become-controlled-drugs/20035333.article   and   “The government has now accepted in principle that pregabalin should be reclassified as a class C controlled substance, which would mean patients could not obtain a repeat prescription.” “It would mean the drug could not be repeat-dispensed and prescriptions would only be valid for one month.” From: Pregabalin, known as 'new valium', to be made class C drug after deaths https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/sep/21/pregabalin-new-valium-class-c-drug-deaths   How will this affect the many of you who take pregabalin or gabapentin?

• Is this 'normal'

Hi all,   I posted a while back in 2014 when I was diagnosed with RRMS and everyone was very helpful. The support really helped me through. I am 'going through the system now' - I have an MS nurse and a new neurologist, but I guess like many of you my first port of call is the GP.   I had my first demyelinating episode in 2010 when I had optic neuritis, cue a week in hospital for blood tests, x-rays, VER, lumbar puncture and MRI. I had 3 days i/v steroids and my vision came back pretty well but I have had a central blurred field with a broken black outline ever since. 6 months later my hands became weak, and I could not grip. They improved, but still tire easily, and they get tight and clumsy. I have also had issues with balance, with my bladder, and with progressive fatigue. The fatigue used to be episodic, now it's pretty much constant. I used to work 60-70hrs a week and be 'on-call' 1 in 3 nights and weekends. Now I work 33hrs over 3 days, one night a week and one weekend in 6 'on-call' but it takes me all my time off to recover.   In 2014, at my request, and mainly due to the fatigue I asked for another MRI which showed new lesions and that's when I got my definitive diagnosis.   In Feb/ March of this year my left leg decided to play up. It started with intense, stabbing pain around my ankle, then pins and needles which faded over a week but left me numb over my foot, I could not feel a needle prick (to the point of drawing blood) or hot or cold. I went to my GP who noticed that my foot was weak, but he did not elaborate or say what I should do. I spoke to my MS nurse, who arranged a follow up with the neurologist for me. I have that to look forward to the week after next. But, like my eye and hands, my foot has not returned to normal. Most of the strength has come back, but it is tight, the sensation is not as sensitive as my 'good' foot and i still have pins and needles spreading up the leg. If I touch certain places I get a prickling sensation.   Whenever I ask a medic what is going on they tell me I have recovered within the limits of their tests.....but I know none of these things feel right! I've written all this down and sent it to my neurologist in advance of my appointment, but I am cynical enough to know it is unlikely to get me the answers I am looking for! So my question to those with direct experience is, is it 'normal' to be left with mild after effects, which I imagine as a type of scarring, after a flare up of RRMS? My MS nurse has suggested it may be related to the fatigue, and certainly that can make it worse, but the niggles never completely go away? It's frustrating because I feel like they do not believe me, and as well as wanting to understand what is happening to my body it is a physical problem. Ok, maybe not my foot, that's just annoying, but my hands and eyes have a very real impact on my work.   Which is another question if you can bear with me! On the subject of work, I hate to admit it but I am not sure how much longer I can continue with on-call overnight. While sleep does not cure my fatigue, it is hard to function at all without it! But I have no idea if or how I could broach this with my employers. We have other people who do the same job as me, and do not do on-call on medical grounds, but this was their position from the start where's mine has / is changing. Not an easy conversation to have when most of my colleagues fail to understand my condition, let alone 'them in charge!'   Thank you all x

• The switch from Gabapentin to Pregablin

I wonder if any of you can advise, do I need to work down off Gabapentin completely before starting Pregablin or can I just switch? Doctor didn't advise. I have gradually reduced down from1800mg Gabapentin to 900 but don't know if I need to work all the way down first?   Edited by Scully to include tags.

• Gabapentin

Hi,   I gave in and went back to the doctor today. The pain and muscle tightness in my legs and feet is causing problems day to day but also this burning pain in my ankle is really getting to me, getting worse and starting to keep me awake at night.   I couldn't narrow it down to any particular cause and it appears and disappears, sometimes lasting hours sometimes minutes and in between - nothing. Of course when I got to the doctor, although it had been on and off all day, there was nothing but he prodded and asked lots of questions and ruled out injury or muscle/tendon problem.   So I agreed to go on Gabapentin on top of the Amytriptline.   Does anyone else take this? Have you found it effective? Any side effects?   Thanks as always.   Katie   Edited to include tags to other topic links

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.