The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
toby

I've got a date!

65 posts in this topic Last Reply

toby

Wow, ive got a date.

Tomorrow.

Bl**dy hell, im nervous.

It's someone ive been chatting with on facebook and met on MS Society chat rooms.

We are going to the pub and already i am wondering what to wear, i am such a girl!

Not really done "dating" before. I am a very shy person. I will just be myself but am so scared of running out of things to say!

Do you think i should give chocys?

Help.

toby x

Silv
Wow, ive got a date.

Tomorrow.

Bl**dy hell, im nervous.

It's someone ive been chatting with on facebook and met on MS Society chat rooms.

That's great, Toby, I am all for lovely news. Most girls would like chocolates, but don't overdo it. And don't expect too much, just be yourself, clean and nice smelling. Good luck and enjoy the date.

"Aunty" Silv

Mikey

Relax. She's sure to be as nervous as you are!

Be yourself. Maybe start by telling the truth: "Gee, I'm a little nervous. How about you?" That should break the ice!

Maybe she's a talker and you won't have to say much at all. Talkers love to be listened to.

Ask her about herself. Hobbies, family, interests, work. Ask if she likes reading or the cinema or music or whatever. Ask her what she enjoys and then just listen!

If she's an MSer too, there'll be lots of things to talk about and some of them (like spoonerisms) can be quite funny. Marina is always making me giggle with her little "brain farts".

Just relax and enjoy yourself!

rachy

Good luck Toby :hearts: Im sure it will go well .. x

Rachy xx

Gaynor

Hi toby....that is fab news for today :fairy:

Ok I'm gonna give my style direction for today:

If I were you I'd go in a nice pair of jeans/cords and a nice casual shirt....for a relaxed look.....or a plain v-neck jumper with a s/s collared shirt underneath and again still the jeans or cords. A casual pair of tidy looking shoes with either of those will do the trick :cool:

Now as for the chocs.....mm...whatever it is it wants to be just a small token of affection and I'm not really thinking choccies ...unless it's something nice and pretty from say Thorntons or something.... enough to show you made an effort but nothing she's gonna be embarrassed about or feel you've come on too strong with.

Errm....other ideas could be a wee little flower gift idea from M&S (if you have a store anywhere near you) but not necessarily a bunch of flowers. They have nice ideas as do ordinary flower shops. Just remember to keep it small and a little bit different in idea. I think that will go down well.

With a good sense of humour you'll be fine and I must admit here I was writing to my now husband (of 16yrs) :hearts: for a few months before we actually met face to face. It was weird cos we both knew quite alot of things about each others lives already so if you know a bit now about her ...then you'll easily have things to pick up on and talk about.

Ooh I'm really excited for you and I wish you the world of luck :kiss:

Anything else to ask - fire away :wink: Have you seen what she looks like yet? I had seen my now hubby and I couldn't wait to meet him....although yes it is scary....so I understand that.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you,

Gaynor :kiss::sweet:

linds

Hi Toby Just be yourself. You will be gorgeous

A BIG wooooooolf whistle to you Love, Lindsxx

Lindsx

Kazzy

Hi Toby :hearts:

Good for you! Just be yourself and have a great time.

Kazzy

Mikey

Ha Gaynor! That reminds me of how Marina and I met. She read something I wrote in the local rag and contacted me. Then we started emailing and phoning. We knew a lot about each other before we met "in person". Then she invited me for dinner at her mother's house. Wham!

Boy was I nervous. Maybe she was too. That was almost 10 years ago.

Hey Toby, it's just a date, not a lifelong commitment. Careful not to get your hopes up in case she's a dragon! Just enjoy the time and let things go where they will. Relax! Enjoy!

Gaynor

Yes...and don't think you have to take anything today toby....you don't....so most importantly don't stress about it. She wants to see you and not a present necessarily!

Mike I'm sure she won't be a dragon, we both had successful meetings from just conversations and chatting.....but it does help if you know who you're looking for toby????? Like I say I hope you've seen a pic of her?

Can't wait to hear how it goes......but as Mike says relax and enjoy.

(just ignore me getting reeeeeeally excited :hearts: )

Mikey

Not a dragon? You should see Marina in one of her moods! :hearts:

But she is an adorable dragon. :kiss:

Michelle

How romantic! I totally agree with Gaynor in that you should buy her something small. And the casual and clean look is a turn on for most women. Don't overdo the aftershave though. :winkgrin: Make sure your nails are clean. :lolbash: Just enjoy yourself toby. Oh! and don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Michelle :hearts:

Michelle

My other said and I quote him,

" Make sure you wear a condom " :winkgrin:

Sorry about that Toby, but it did make me laugh. You cna imagine wot type of bloke my andrew is :lolbash:

toby

Thanks all,

Yeah safety first, always wear your personal protective equipment!

Been shopping, new jeans, white t shirt with a bit of print on. all wrapped around little old me!

Have seen a few pics from facebook (3). She looks nice, will just be myself.

A good friend on facebook from California taught me a little about my fears - they arent actually that important, so what ever happens at least i had a night out in good company.

toby x

Gaynor

excellent toby, us motley crew are all behind you (not literally...don't worry!) and will be thinkin of you and hopin it goes well :winkgrin:

Have a nice night :lolbash:

Sluggish
Marina

Toby, good luck! You've had some great tips here, so I hope it all works out fab for you :hearts: Have a lovely evening!

Ha Gaynor! That reminds me of how Marina and I met. She read something I wrote in the local rag and contacted me. Then we started emailing and phoning. We knew a lot about each other before we met "in person". Then she invited me for dinner at her mother's house. Wham!

Boy was I nervous. Maybe she was too. That was almost 10 years ago.

Ha, what wonderful memories! Mike and I hadn't even seen a photo of each other. We had NO idea what the other looked like. I flew to France, knowing I'd be meeting him in a couple of days. Yes, I was as nervous as hell. I remember having a totally different picture in my head of what he was like. For some reason, I thought he'd be medium height, fairly slim, with very dark slick hair, possibly a bit stern - maybe because as a journalist, that's the image of him I got from his writing. I remember going shopping and seeing someone of that description, with a Canadian or American accent (I can't tell the difference, LOL, but Mike's British Canadian) and wondering if it was him - how daft of me! Then, the getting ready and waiting for Mike to arrive at my mother's for dinner - more nerves. The door bell rang, and in drove this red car. Then out got Mike. Not medium height but over 6 ft tall. Not dark hair but medium slightly unruly curly hair. The complete opposite of what I'd imagined. In fact, a great big cuddly lovable teddy bear! To be honest, by then I didn't care what he looked like, I was already "hooked". As Mike said, it was an instant "Wham!" when we finally met :loveydovey:. And here we are, nearly 10 yrs on... and stronger than ever as a couple :kisslips:

Not a dragon? You should see Marina in one of her moods! :lolbash:

But she is an adorable dragon. :love:

Oh, the dinosaur should speak for himself! :snake: But he's a such an adorable dinosaur :heartbeat::winkgrin: :heartbeat:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Vegged Out
Shirl

Really pleased for you Toby. My hubby and I met on a blind date and it was the most romantic night of my life? Why? Because we were so obviously right for each other and he treated me like a lady, still does.

The main thing is 'be true to yourself'.

Gaynor, have we found a new role for you - agony aunt / style guru / matchmaker?

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Gaynor

Yeh I'll accept that challenging role Shirl :winkgrin::hearts:

Bring it on, who's next? in the :lolbash::loveydovey: dept?

Lindyloo

:winkgrin: Hey Toby

Really happy for you... Have a lovely night,,, Hope shes a babe and has a lovely personalty... :lolbash:

Be yourself as you are here with us and all will be fine.... Most of all enjoy yourself..

:hearts:

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

linds

Flippin Heck I's so excited for Tobs.

If you see this Toby have a good time tonight. Hubby and I are having some shampoo. Lindsxx

Lindsx

Lindyloo

Hehehe we are having "Macky D's" :loveydovey: at home in front of the fire... :hearts::lolbash::winkgrin:

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Akorah

Good luck!!!

chelly xxx

toby

Right, back home now.

She made me feel really relaxed, her legs were playing up a little so we stayed in and just chatted.

I did buy her a small box of fancy chocs and when i gave them to her she asked what are they for, i said 'because i think its a nice thing to do' which she said yes to.

we had a hug as i left and i just said if she wanted to do something again that i would like to as well and left it there.

I like her, shes nice. Even if she doesnt want to 'go out' again i had a nice evening on valentines day.

Thanks for all the advice, and wasnt as painful as i thought it would be :winkgrin:

toby x

Gaynor

Well that's good toby. At least it wasn't a scary scenario :loveydovey:

She wouldn't feel her best or at her most relaxed if her legs were playin up (no doubt) but that's the hardest part over with and I guess see what/if anything happens next.

I couldn't sleep tonight with achey legs (my fault - gymming over use issue :lolbash: ) so amongst checkin other things on the net at this ungodly hour I thought I'd pop on to see if you'd been back on.

At least you had a nice evening and achieved something you were nervous about :winkgrin:

Good for you :hearts:

Gaynor

Mikey

Way to go Toby. Sounds like you handled the evening really well and had a nice time. Well done!

PS: It's pretty early for a Sunday morning but I just had to know... :winkgrin:

Hezza

Trust me to miss all the exciting build-up!...am in Ireland on hols so not checking in as frequently.

I'm glad you had a good evening Toby and hope that, if nothing else, this becomes a new friendship for you - with someone who truly understands.

Well done :winkgrin:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres