The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Gem_says_keep_smyelin!

Funky walking sticks

32 posts in this topic Last Reply

Gem_says_keep_smyelin!

I have come to the realization that sometimes when I am out and about I need to rely on a walking stick because of vertigo. I got sick of people looking at me as if I had had one to many :winkgrin: when I never drink a drop.

Anyhoo my post is about 'jazzing' up your stick. I couldn't find any reasonable priced funky sticks anywhere so I bought a plain black one and got some bright pink star stickers off ebay. They have done the trick and have a funky trendy stick now.

I think there is a real market for this type of thing as not all people who need walking sticks are old!!

Don't know what you guys think?

God bless

Gem xxx

Akorah

i jazzed my stick up using the sparkly body jewels u know the 1s u stick on ur arms when ur going out! they are little diamonds and stuff it looked really nice! I bought them from claires acessories (i think) and i told my little 10 years old daughter to do it shehad fun and i got a funky walking stick!! I agree with u gem on the walking sticks u can buy now. They are definately not sexy lol!!

chelly xxx

Hezza

Great idea Gem!

My mum got me a funky, folding stick for Christmas. I'd been in my Aunt's shop with my mum and commented on them a few months before Christmas so she remembered and went and got me one. I was surprised as at the time she'd said "Oh but you don't need one of those".

It's true I wasn't wobbly enough at the time to really have to have one but now I carry it folded in my bag and did use it a couple of times this week when I was MS-y. I'm glad she bought it as it saved me ever having to make the "big decision" to get one.

By the way it is black with a coloured flower pattern on it :winkgrin:

Oh and as an after thought....I suspect some of our "more mature" members would like funky sticks too :welcome:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Vegged Out
Shirl

I now have a jazzy stick my hubby bought me but they are not exactly cheap. But, Gem, you have now given me a great idea - customising my other sticks with the various materials - stickers & adhesive gems - I have around the craft room!

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Hezza

You guys could start your own little business empire - made to order customised walking sticks :winkgrin:

Gem_says_keep_smyelin!

You're right Cara I am assuming us young (ish!) MSers are the only ones who want funky sticks when I'm sure we're not the only ones who want to Jazz up our MS lives! :winkgrin:

I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who found it hard to buy one of these darn things lol

And gave up to crate my own.

Having a stick at the age of 30 is hard enough without them being as boring as dish water!!

I think you're right we could have a good buisness opertunity here... Dragons den here we come! haha

Gem xxx

Lindyloo

Go for it Gem & Cara...Yay :newhere: Its a very good idea... I have never used a stick but sometimes could have done with having one - like at the moment.... when my legs arent the best... Did you feel a bit self consious at first..?? :dunno:

:rant:

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Gem_says_keep_smyelin!
Go for it Gem & Cara...Yay :newhere: Its a very good idea... I have never used a stick but sometimes could have done with having one - like at the moment.... when my legs arent the best... Did you feel a bit self consious at first..?? :dunno:

:rant:

Sort of Lindy BUT I found myself getting embarased more about the stumbling over before I got one I used to think people were thinking I'd had a drink!

At least people can now see I do have a reason for why I am uneasy on my feet :-)

You can buy a reasonable priced stick off Ebay if you need one without waiting to get one from the OT xxx

Vegged Out
Shirl

I can understand anyone wanting to equip themselves with their own choice of walking stick - I have one NHS stick and several 'best' ones! But when you are assessed for, and equipped with, an NHS stick, certain critical measurements are taken to ensure the stick is the correct height for you. If you are using the wrong stick, your whole skeleton will be out of line. In fact, the wrong stick might as well be no stick for all the good it will do you.

So please consider asking for a referral to be measured for a stick or refer to this factsheet for the correct advice about all kinds of walking equipment, including a section on walking sticks:

Choosing Walking Equipment published by Disabled Living Foundation

Once I had my official stick I was able to buy subsequent ones using the measurement criteria I had been taught. Then the fun begins - finding the ones that say something about your own personality - and, of course, being able to buy a handy folding stick.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Hezza

Quite right Shirl, thanks for the reminder :cheerleader3:

Michelle

The same goes with wheelchairs. Dont buy off the peg unless you already have a made to measure nhs one :cheerleader3:

Ref sticks. I nearlly bought a pink one, when I was having a wander around Bath. I think you're idea is a brill one Gemma !

Regards

Michelle :drinkbar:

Gem_says_keep_smyelin!

Of course you're right Shirl I was talking about for the time being and if it's only occasional use like me :-)

Thanks for the correct advice!

But you can also jazz up custom made sticks from the OT !!

Gem xxx

Tini

All these are brilliant ideas, Thinking about getting a stick as my legs just are not good at moment. Right leg doing all the work and dragging my left. Has been suggested a stick would help by friends, but am conscious. Diagnosed for 15 years now 38 and past year noticied more symptons.. Very frustrating, as love walking distances and avid gym goer it's been hard to adjust. Only so far you can push till you realise it might be time to slow down... Just to give another idea. I use a Chiropractor who after a session manages to release my leg muscles for a few days/week.. great to walk normally for while. Bloody painful initially but it worth it. highly recommended. Tini x

Hezza

:welcome: Tini,

Nice to meet you! Remember to make sure you get properly measured for your stick if you do decide to get one. :lolbash:

Michelle

I'm thinking of asking for crutches. My sticks are not supporting me properly. Not sure if you can dress up nhs crutches :lolbash:

Hezza

I'm sure you could sticker-ise them Mish...or cover them with some nice adhesive pattern. The NHS may not be so thrilled upon return though :welcome2:

gillshutt

I painted my stick bright yellow and then painted a green snake winding round it. It keeps other peoples kids amused in queues :) but most adults think I'm :hearts_circle: but I don't care. I decided that if I have to use one then I'm going to flaunt it. If I don't use it I tend to go sideways instead of straight on and I don't want to end up in the road or someones front garden.

Gill x

Why me?

Michelle

:think: Cara. I could always play dumb,and tell them I didn't know that i wasn't allowed to jazz them up :butterfly: I think my innocent face would get away with that excuse. :censored:

Gill, I can just imagine the looks you get from your painted cane. WTG!

Michelle

KatyC

I'll let you in in a secret. Before my recent DX I was so vain and a bit in denial. I carried a long handled umbrella to work until the recent hot weather when I had to deal with "oh -you're so pessimstic there's no rain forecast"! What a good idea NOT!!! I think that finally made me go back to the Doc as it was one I couldn't 'fix'. Thanks for your advice on importance if measurements.

Katy

Bernadette

My walking stick is just a straightforward wooden one my in-laws bought me. It's not made to measure, but I measured the NHS stick that my physio adjusted for me, and my in-laws got one the same height. I hope it's not doing me any damage! Seems ok.

ptlike

Hi All

I knew an old chap who had two sticks, some blokes in the pub lowered one stick and heighten the other. He is still walking round in circles. :clapping2:

Best wishes

Peter

• Like 1

kooky

I bought a plain black folding one a few years ago.......but now my lovely sis has bought me a multi coloured spotty one !!!!!!!!!!!!.....its fab and I like the looks I get from people now !!!.....I need to find out if you can get a foam slide on but for the handle as it hurts my palm....an ideas???xx

Sick & tired of being sick & tired !!!!

Dianni

Hi Kooky :cheerleader:

My daughter gets sore palms pushing the pram or my w/chair. It's just occured to me that she might be able to get those foam things you mentioned from a pram or bike shop. Would these fit over a walking stick handle?

Hugs

Di

xxx

PS I'll let you know if she finds any xx

Christina

Wouldn't those disability shops be able to help - I'm sure I've seen those foam slides? The internet must have websites that will tell you if they're available and you can probably buy them online too

Chris xx :hearts_circle:

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

jezebel

I must admit, i love my walking stick even tho it took me a long time to get round to using it, lol. and my way of thinking is if i had to use one then it was gonna be a one i really liked...practicality wasn't in the vicinity.Basically its a plain black stick with a dragons head eating a ball of fire in gun metal grey. I know everyone has different taste so basically, anything goes if it makes you happy. alot of people think its an antique & i've had many a conversation with strangers about alsorts which start with ''where did you get your stick? its very nice...''

so, in a way, its a good icebreaker...literally! :wink2:

• Like 1