The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

The Emotional Issues Of MS

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

Contributed by Marcus, via the mailing list.

http://www.healthtalk.com/multiplesclerosi...22604/index.cfm

passage from said website

Anger, frustration, despair - emotions so consuming that if left unchecked can overwhelm and destroy a person, a family or a community. Dealing with a chronic illness may cause depression and anxiety too. In this program, we'll explore the range of emotional issues people with MS experience and examine ways to acknowledge these feelings in order to deal with the pain they evoke.

My query is that - would it be possible to put a UK version on your website? MS is universal but discussion of emotions on a more UK based interpretation would (in my mind) be a bit easier to associate with.

-------------------------------------

If anyone would like to take up this subject of the emotional issues of MS, please feel free to discuss it.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

crispy

Hi all,

I have written about this before on certain other MS forums, so apologies if anyone has heard it all before.

My original scrawls were based more on a question than on a statement - at that time I didn't understand why my emotions were so easily brought to the fore. That question was answered by somebody with more of an understanding of the medical side of MS, and it seems there is a name for it. My brain being fairly addled these days, it left my head at almost the moment it entered it, so if anyone knows of the term, please respond here.

I first noticed the effect while watching Miss Saigon in the West End about six years ago. Anyone who has seen the show will know that there are sad sections in it, particularly when Kim shoots herself, but the effect it had onme was unreal. I knew what was going to happen, I had seen the show four times before, yet my sobbing was loud and uncontrollable. It would have been bad enough for a lady in that position, but for me, it was just too much :no:

From that time on, I never went to see a show again. I have similar attacks at home, usually alone fortunately, over crazy things like Home & Away, Neighbours and even EastEnders, but it's out of my hands - I just have to learn to cope.

Some people it seems, have laughing fits, caused by the same MS problem, but I don't have to worry about those. This past week has seen quite a lot of the emotional outbursts, as those who know me here will understand, but for those who have not experienced this little addition to the other problems, I hope this may help you to understand, if and when they do occur.

All the best,

Chris P :crutch:

................................ :dog: ........................................

All the best,

Chris P

ddgorgeous

Chris,

It sounds like Smokey is a great loss, I hope you manage to get through it all and are coping.

I am sorry to hear about your own experiences with your own emotions and can sympathise a bit.

I have noticed over the last couple of years occasionally laughing uncontrollably over the smallest thing. I do not know why it happens, or when to expect this, it can be the most innocent thing that can set me off. (I first noticd it 3 years ago) I read about this and that it had been noted as happening in some people, but was not aware there was a name given to it. I am/have been too embarrassed to mention it to my GP or family, although I am sure my family suspect a bit (they think I am nuts anyway so I get away with it to an extent), but think it is something my GP should be aware is happening. As it has not been one of the most important items to dicuss during any very brief consultation it has never been mentioned. I should possibly think about bringing it up when I next see him. If you ever come across a name for this, or any details, please pass them on.

Look after yourself,

Ron

ppms, dx 2001

crispy

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I found the article that I read and the condition is called Emotional Lability - it is part of the cognitive problems associated with some forms of MS. I believe a drug called Neurodex is being tested in the US for use in MS.

All the best,

Chris P

ddgorgeous

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your information on Emotional Liability. I will look into it all more now and probably write to my GP before bringing it up during a consultation with him.

I actually find him a lot more helpful when I write to him and just drop a letter in by hand with the receptionist than making an appointment where an appointment is possibly not needed. It also means that any notes I bring to an appointment are usually covered in more depth and I receive much better response than otherwise. I write to him frequently to request copies of items held in my file etc and he has always been very halpful when using this approach. I do not know if anyone else uses this kind of appraoch, but it appears to work very well for me so far.

All the ebst,

Ron :crutch:

ppms, dx 2001

crispy

Hi Ron,

I seem to have missed this one yesterday, so I'll make good now :tabletalk:

Thank you for your information on Emotional Liability.

If you are doing a search on the Internet for this, please note that it is 'Lability' rather than liability.

I agree with your point of writing to your GP, I adopted the same policy when trying to obtain LDN, and sent through a lot of information together with a letter, several days before my appointment. When I got there, he had even managed to read it all, and knew what I was talking about :D

All the best,

Chris P

Ellie

:crying: Hi All

I have wandered back on to the forum which I have not used since before I went on hols. Have been too busy trying to deal with all the accumulated emails. Interested oin the mails on emotional lability. I seem to have gone the other way. I feel SAD but can seldom cry, and Im sure I do not laugh as much as I did. I know I have a sense of humour, at least Marina says I have ! but no, I do not laugh like I used to. I dont cry at "weepies" I too was moved by Miss Saigon but did not show it. It may be due to drugs, As well as MS I had a heart attack in March this years so now I take eight pills wwhen I get up in the morning, and another three when I go to bed, perhaps they are killing off my reactions, but no matter how sad I feel I seldom cry or laugh like I used to. I dont like it much, but there you go, Id give anything for a good howl :tabletalk: Even a good belly laugh would help, lol. Anyone got any ideas. I feel like a moron :crutch:

Luv

Ellie

crispy

Hi Ellie,

It's good to have you back on the forum :yes:

I can't offer any ideas on why you seem to be affected emotionally in the reverse form to mine, but it could always be the pills, as you suggest. Much as I hate the uncontrolled outbursts, I think I'd much rather that, than nothing at all :crutch:

I think I may try to do a little more research into the subject :tabletalk:

Keep smiling,

Chris P :tabletalk:

All the best,

Chris P

Ellie

Hi Chris

I tend to agree with you, I dont like being "switched off" I think Jim probably prefers it this way, more like to stop me crying, he hates that, just cannot handle it, and does not seem to mind if I do not laugh lol, I just dont like ME very much, perhaps it is depression :crying: :crutch::tabletalk: Oh well, may be it is old age.

Luv

Ellie

crispy

Hi Ellie,

I just dont like ME very much, perhaps it is depression

Hey, if you don't like you, what chance is there for anyone else? Keep smiling :yes:

I've been out today, there's a novelty all by itself, but now I'm back, I'll do a little digging.

Now, what's all this about old age? I straight way went to look at your profile, to see what you thought old age was, but guess what - no details filled in :no:

All the very best :D

All the best,

Chris P

Hodge

Hi all

I know I have an article somewhere about "Emotional Lability" and will have to dig it out. I have been feeling really emotional and very tearful recently over silly little things i.e. programmes on TV, even some of the adverts for goodness sake. I've always been a strong independent sort of person and this just isn't like me at all.

I know I've been getting really frustrated because I can no longer manage or I really struggle to do certain things but I don't feel "down" at all and I still have a good sense of humour and enjoy a good laugh with friends.

My husband isn't well at the moment and today I thought I would try and help him in the garden by doing a little weeding and cutting back some of the plants. I just didn't think that I would find this so difficult to do and it made me realise how weak and useless I've become over the past couple of years. Not only was I absolutely exhausted within 30 mins I became very angry and the tears were not faraway.

I realise I'm having short term memory problems. difficulty with concentration, finding the right words and often talking "double dutch" when having a conversation. I find I'm worrying over little things throughout the day and I'm unable to get to sleep until the early hours which again worries me as I know how useless I will be the following day. It seems like a vicious circle. I'm going through the menopause as well which doesn't help so can only hope everything will settle down soon.

I'm sorry if this is a bit garbled. It's been a very long day.

Hope you are all keeping reasonably well.

Sue :rolleyes:

crispy

Hi Sue,

I hope you have a better day today.

I eventually found my article in the May/June edition of New Pathways magazine - Do you get that mag?

Keep on smiling,

Chris P :rolleyes:

All the best,

Chris P