The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
anna derbyshire

avonex - just started

121 posts in this topic Last Reply

anna derbyshire

Hi all

just wanted to share my experience so far, and hope that other people get back to me and share THEIR experiences too!

I started avonex yesterday....i went to my local hospital with my pre filled syringe and had a "training session" with my MS nurse, my partner, my mum and my 2 year old daughter! he heh!

it was so simple, the blood test that she did a few minutes before hurt more than the avonex!! :hearts_circle:

I had no side effects at all, apart from an achy arm at about midnight, but it wasnt painful or anything!

Might be a wee bit different next week when i have to do it myself, but if worse comes to worse, i will get my other half to do it! :hearts_circle:

soooooo, we shall see how it goes!

I will update next Friday!

and for all those who are terrified about starting avonex or any other DMD, this is quite natural - i was a mess!

But, it really aint that bad AT ALL!

Anna x

Anna x

Lindyloo

:hearts_circle:Well done Anna!!

I reckon the 1st one is the worst - next time will be much easier...

big hugs

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

elma
Hi all

just wanted to share my experience so far, and hope that other people get back to me and share THEIR experiences too!

I started avonex yesterday....i went to my local hospital with my pre filled syringe and had a "training session" with my MS nurse, my partner, my mum and my 2 year old daughter! he heh!

it was so simple, the blood test that she did a few minutes before hurt more than the avonex!! :hearts_circle:

I had no side effects at all, apart from an achy arm at about midnight, but it wasnt painful or anything!

Might be a wee bit different next week when i have to do it myself, but if worse comes to worse, i will get my other half to do it! :hearts_circle:

soooooo, we shall see how it goes!

I will update next Friday!

and for all those who are terrified about starting avonex or any other DMD, this is quite natural - i was a mess!

But, it really aint that bad AT ALL!

Anna x

our Anna,

Hi Anna,

I have been reading your posts and just wanted to say Hi

Lots of the things you said reminded of me of my experience 2 years ago when I was housebound because I could not walk at

all and like you went on sick pay and then of course after 6 months went to half. It was a terrible time as I did not have a

diagnosis for my illness. Finaly last year i got an MS diagnosis which was good in a way, cos I at last knew what was wrong.

Apparently have had it for 20 years, tho was unaware. At least now I have a reason for always falling over-even without a

drink.

I was off work for 6 months and found it very frustrating. I was ill a lot of the time due to drugs I was taking for swelling.

My answer to the boredom was jigsaws and my answer to the money loss was to take a bank loan-not a good idea as I am

struggling with the payments now.

On a positive note, I went back to work in Nov. 2007 and haven't been off ill since, though some days are a big struggle.

My employers are being really good now that I have a diagnosis and also because of the new disability law to support you in a job.

Unfortunately my job as a support worker is not so good for someone with MS I sometimes feel I need a support worker myself!!

Gapapentin has helped me enormously-the pains in my legs were unbearable. Took a while for me to get used to them tho.

Not on any other drugs so far but exhaustion is my main problem now.

Good luck with the anovex,

Elma.

Michelle

Well done Anna. And thanks for your input Elma :hearts_circle:

Michelle

Hezza

Well done Anna. I take Rebif and it's such a part of my routine now that it just seems "normal" :hearts_circle:

Hope next week's jab goes as well for you :hearts_circle:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

anna derbyshire

:hearts_circle: thanks all for your supportive messages...means alot to me, cos it is scary the whole commitment to a drug that might not even work for me!!! BUT, i have a positive attitude towards the whole thing, and believe it will work wonders for me! (fingers crossed tho!)

Hello Elma

good to "meet" you

your experiences really mirror mine, was quite spooky to read!

I am sort of a support worker too - i am an outreach worker - visitng different people in their homes - so a fair bit of walking!

i am itching to get back to work...i love my job and have only been there since feb, now im off sick till god knows when :hearts_circle: when resting is all you can do, you wish you could do more, but when you ARE mobile, the fatigue can be crippling! I havent had fatigue at all since i had my daughter (she's 2), but before that, it was quite debilitating, especially if your employers dont understand, or care.

well done for no sick days tho!! :kisslips:

good to hear from you

Anna x

Anna x

Gaynor

Glad it went well for you Anna, quite daunting at first I guess. I'm still not on any DMD but have had the offer. I may take up the offer in the future though if I have any further significant relapses.

Gaynor

anna derbyshire

Hi Gaynor,

I agree with your decision about holding off the DMD's...the only reason I started them was due to lots of relapses all in a row, but i was diagnosed about 5 years ago, and decided not to take DMD's till i felt it was necessary....

Take care

Anna x

Anna x

Oops

Just my usual word of caution from someone who decided to wait and then went full SPMS inside 6 months with no warning - in fact the first I knew was when I had my "usual" winter black spot and steroids dramatically failed to work. The thread I made at the time can be found on here somewhere if you can be bothered to search, it was about 18 months ago, immediately after Xmas, in fact I started IVmP on New Year's Eve! :cheerleader:

Cue panic stations and a repeat MRI to try and get me onto Tysabri, which unfortunately (never thought I'd say that!) showed that I had only one new lesion, of the type seen in RRMS and early SPMS, which is what they were looking for - apparently the damage from progressive-type progression as opposed to relapse-induced progression has to be specifically scanned for and they don't bother since it costs the national debt of a small African country and there's nothing you can do about it...Hope that makes sense...This gave me the grand total of two, which is what they expect with SPMS so that was me screwed on the treatment front.

I've had various ups and downs since then, and my disease seems to plateau and then leap down a step, leading me to get on the phone in the hope that I might be having a relapse every time it's happened since, all to no avail. I am definately full, non-relapsing SPMS and therefore not eligible to try any DMDS.

At the time I refused to try DMDs I was concerned about side effects so decided to leave things be whilst I was still well. What I completely failed to appreciate was that the BEST time to do DMDs is when you are well because a) you are more able to cope with any crap stuff that comes with them, and b) the idea is to keep you that way as long as possible. By hanging out for "Last Chance Saloon" I basically blew my only chance - something that was particularly pertinant in my case as I have since found out that they suspected I was relapsing SPMS by diagnosis anyway, given my medical history, so they never really pushed me to go for it. I thought I'd just bimble along feeling pretty good and then get pumped full of steroids from time to time and that'd be that. Stupid, huh? :bravo:

PLEASE PLEASE think about this when you turn the opportunity down. I 100% understand the mindset which leads people to that point, as I made precisely that decision myself, but I bitterly regret it now. Ok, so it might be an utter waste of time, it might be hellish, and you might try and decide it's not for you, but to cannibalise a phrase, it's better to have tried and stopped than never to have tried at all and never get chance to try again.

We none of us know where this disease might take us, and as my favourite MS Nurse put it to me during one of my more pathetic pleading attempts (bless her, she put up with a lot whilst I was in denial...No wonder she went on a 6 month detachment to work in Motor Neurone...LOL!!!) "It's MS, it can do exactly as it likes"...So don't throw away your chances through what may just turn out to be misplaced optimism, as mine was.

I'll bugger off and put away my soapbox now. As you were.... :crazy::wtf::you-rock:

Apologies in advance if I post then vanish for a bit - I work away from home and will be back at the weekend!!!

linds

No Oops don't bugger off! I enjoy your straitforwardness too much. Lindsxxx

Lindsx

anna derbyshire

Hi oops,

that post was an eye opener! i love the way you put your point across, it made me stop and think.

Although i wanted, was DETERMINED to wait before going on DMD's, this relapse that i am going through currently (very long, very painful, steroids didnt work), did make me think that i may have missed the opportunity to start DMD's, as I was supposed to go straight to tysabri (do not pass GO!) although nothing was actually vocalised by my consultant, I wondered whether i was "too far gone" to start DMD's.

I then asked my MS nurse if i could try DMD's-avonex- and she wouldnt give me her opinion, just told me she was here to support me with whatever decision i chose...then i spoke to the other MS nurse, who told me she thought i was doing the right thing by trying avonex first, as if it didnt "work" for me, then i could always move on to try Tysabri...that was what i needed, someone telling me what i was doing was the right decision!!!

I had a second MRI scan, on the first taken when diagnosed 5 yrs ago i had 3 lesions i think, and on this one it showed 12 or more, but the disease was not active at the time of scanning, which is good apparently. Does anyone have a clue what this means??

surely its bad to have that many more lesions than last time?

but yet i was still eligible for avonex....?

well, i dunno! :cheerleader:

fingers crossed avonex DOES work for me, and i havent left it too late. Like i say oops, you have really made me think.

all the best to you, and i look forwards to going through the archives and finding other posts by you

Anna x

Anna x

toby

hi anna and all the others,

I am with Oops on this, I had a lot of different symptons/relapses in my 1st year and wondered "was this how my life would continue"

So as soon as i was offered dmds i jumped at the chance, i think i need to be proactive with things like this!

I fully understood that it may help but with no guarantees and that as long as i gave the drugs a decent time for them to work i could stop them if i decided to.

The decisions are yours we can only offer advice.

Good luck

toby x

Christina

I found it really interesting and helpful to hear all your replies to this one. I'm going to start Avonex in the next few weeks, so I'm particularly keen to hear how people who have just started on the drug are finding it. I'm also pretty nervous about the first injection and the side effects and having read the drug leaflet that comes with the injection, the side effects listed are pretty scary.

Anyway, reading others' thoughts on when or if to start DMDs - I went through the same process of thinking I wouldn't start DMDs until I really needed them especially if my relapses were manageable and I've only been diagnosed for a year, although suffered years of symptoms. Unfortunately I started a relapse in January which went from bad to worse and my neuro persuaded me to try DMDs and not to miss the opportunity. It's only just occurred to me from reading others posts that he was possibly thinking maybe I could progress to progressive MS and if I did then I would have missed the boat. I have three spinal cord lesions and a few brain lesions and am such a newcomer to the MS diagnosis that I find it hard to know how the medics tell the difference especially at the start of the disease which category of MS patients fall into. Can anyone help me out on this? My neuro has said it's relapsing/remitting for me and that diagnosis won't be changed but I want to be sure I'm not being mislead.

Oops, I hadn't realised that lesions for RRMS and SPMS may be different on MRIs - is it that or is it more to do with where they occur?

Guys, thanks for reading this - there is so much I still don't know about all this.

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Oops
Oops, I hadn't realised that lesions for RRMS and SPMS may be different on MRIs - is it that or is it more to do with where they occur?

Apparently - and I can only pass on how it was explained to me, as I don't fully understand it myself - the damage progression causes doesn't show up on a normal MRI at all, it has to be specially "weighted" if they want to see it, which they don't. It's apparently quite normal to see people with PPMS and not a single visible lesion on MRI, and this is why. It's not inflammation or scarring, see, it's axonal damage - as in the actual nerves have munched bits. Something like that. And there's no inflammation, which is why steroids don't work.

Presumably, Anna, that's why they said having lots of lesions was a good thing. As in, you still have inflammation happening, which means you are still relapsing, therefore you can still have DMDs...And if you have loads of the little buggers, you'll probably be allowed Tysabri when the time comes as well. So it's kind of good from a clinical point of view, rather than from a patient's point of view, 'cos they can still do something with you. Only a guess, mind, I'm no expert.

Gotta fly back to work (see sig), so hopefully someone else will come along and be able to explain all this slightly better. I only found out the half of it when I went SPMS and started asking questions like "But my Neuro said the MRI show no significant progression, so how come that makes me SPMS?" He meant, of course, active progression of the relapsing bit of the disease... Yeah, clear as mud, isn't it? :cheerleader:

Apologies in advance if I post then vanish for a bit - I work away from home and will be back at the weekend!!!

Christina

Hi Oops

Thanks so much for that explanation. Now it starts to make more sense to me and that is why my neuro can be definite about it being RRMS at the moment. From what you say, it sounds like when it progresses to SPMS there are no more new lesions. When people are diagnosed with PPMS from the start, does that then mean that they have no lesions to see on MRI?

Chris x

anna derbyshire

sooo....today is the day for my second injection....and the first one that i will actually do myself, as my ms nurse did the first, so i am EVEN MORE nervous about this one!

its wierd, but i dont feel like i have taken anything. Now, i know that any effects might take some time, but naively, i thought there would be SOME kind of difference that i would feel with a new drug pumping around my body Even if it was side effects, but NOTHING!!!

i spose some people who have had horrible side effects would say that i should count myself lucky, but i just wanted some kind of sign....

anyhoo, maybe there will be a difference today, we shall see later, i will keep you all posted!!!!

Anna x

toby

Good luck anna,

Not that youll need it!

I always used to wind myself up on jab day and then after id done it wonder why i was being such wuuss.

Christina

Good luck Anna

I'm sure you can do this fine. I shall be in the same position myself in a few weeks. I've got the Avonex in the fridge but no-one can teach me the injections until 15th July - partly cos I'm away for a bit and also because they have cancelled clinics.

You did mention a few side effects after your first injection, so maybe that's all you'll get. I'm sure it's not reflection on how well the drug is working. Sounds good to me!

Chris x

vix

Toby when I was on my injections I had to wind myself before I could inject but its over with in seconds, I am now on a years break and not looking forward to the first one back!!!!!

But well done Anna

xxxx

vix.jpg

Hezza

Well done on the 2nd Jab Anna :crazy2:

I hope that if the side effects ever turned up they were mild :hearts_circle:

anna derbyshire

thanks all,

but......i chickened out!!! :hearts_circle:

got it all ready, made sure my 2 year old was otherwise occupied so she wouldnt interrupt (lolly in the back garden!!) sat down with my other half, he made the skin taut, and.....i just couldnt do it!! hehhehhe.....so Mick took over, and i looked and felt like SUCH a chicken! specially when it really didnt hurt in the slightest. gotta do it next week, my reputation is at stake!

anyways, no side effects at all again....

i had an afternoon (maybe a bit shorter) of no pain yesterday.....this was before the avonex, so its probably not linked, but i walked home from asda, which i have never done before, i have always had to get the bus, even though its only about a 10 min walk....so am v v v chuffed!

next thing you know i will be back at work! god, i hope so....!

take care everyone

Anna x

Anna x

Christina

Hay Anna

Never mind about chickening out - I am sure I'll be just like you in a few weeks time when I do my first injection. I am glad you're not having any of the side effects either - with a 2 year old around, it wouldn't be good to be laid up with flu-like symptoms.

Fingers crossed for your next injection!!

Chris x

Michelle

Hi Anna,

I'm sure I would have chickened out too. Main thing is that you had your first shot. And btw, fab news about being able to walk home from Asda's.

All the best for next weeks shot. I bet you are able to do the next one :hearts_circle:

Michelle :kisslips:

Hezza

Hi Anna,

The main thing is that it's done - it doesn't matter who pressed the button. Well done & good luck for next week :hearts_circle:

anna derbyshire

awww, thanks everyone for your support :hearts_circle:

i think i will be able to do it on friday, and i'll wonder what all the fuss was about!!

i just wish i felt like Anna again....although i managed to hoover, tidy up, and cook spag bol!! (akthough i was trying to be healthy and did it with turkey mince and no flavour basically...and it wasnt too good!! :kisslips: heh

Anna x

Anna x