The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
mayb

Parkinson's Disease

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

mayb

First I must say hi and sorry not to have been on the forum for some time. My Tribunal case comes up in October and I have an enormous quantity of paperwork to go through and I am now representing myself - so nobody else to give it to.

I have been worrying on and off about the possibility of my having Parkinsons Disease. My dad died of this earlier this year.

I don't have a diagnosis but attend a pain clinic and take neurontin and amy thingys as well as antidepressantsl.

However, recently I have found my hands to be cramped and stiff in the mornings and quite painful - particularly around the thunb and the bone at the base of my thumb is tender to touch - I have had odd lumps on other joints that were painful and then went away - this is not going away. This does not go away when I take my neurontin and antidepressant in the morning. My left side, as always, is more affected than my right side. I have bad cramps in my left leg in the mornings sometimes too. The main problem is that my left hand appears to be becoming progressively less responsive to my instructions and I cannot open jars, peel potatos etc without quite severe pain in that hand and cramps in the right one. After a very heavy day of trying to get paperwork together yesterday I found my hands to be shaky this morning - not quite a visible tremble more a tremor with a shaky feeling under the skin. Sorry - nearest I can get to that.

When I was told I didn't qualify for a diagnosis of MS I was told I had underlying CFS and put a lot of vision problems down to this - I am just too tired to focus my eyes :hearts_circle: . However sometimes I can be like this from early morning onwards.

I did ask my GP whether I was developing Parkinsons as I didn't have MS and the symptoms had not gone away and he looked quite horrified and didn't give an answer so I said is it quite different and he said yes. When I told him that I had severe pains in my hands he said that I should tell the pain clinic as he had done all that he could himself. I then tried a tens machine and have been worse since then.

I am about to start a course of accupuncture for the pain and am hopeful of this getting rid of the problem but am still worrying about the Parkinson's. So can anyone tell me anything and if there is ever a confusion over symptoms of MS and Parkinson's. Perhaps there is a link on here but I don't know where to find it. :help2:

I know it is a bit of a weird one but I would love to hear from anyone who knows the score.

:love:

Mayb

Michelle

Hi Mary,

I was only thinking about writing to you this morning,and here you are:) I found this item,which I thought was pretty informative...so please have a look.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=550092

Michelle :hearts_circle:

Christina

Hi

I think Parkinson's and MS are two quite distinct neurological diseases and I don't think there is much confusion between the two when being diagnosed. I have not known that be a consideration when I was working as a nurse. Parkinson's is caused by a dopamine deficiency in the brain, which causes shaking, paralysis, speech difficulties, mask-like face etc.

The link Michelle has given is very good and explains the differences well.

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

eliza

i cant answer you on the parkinsons issue, my blood aunt had parkinsons, however for a number of years her arthritis was more of a problem. do you think the tendrness at base of thumb could be oesteo arthritis. and other small joints.?

I think whenever there is a neuro problem, it brings ups similar pains for them all.

Try not to stress about your tribunal, I know its not easy. Just think though the stress will probably make the pain worse.

mayb

Thanks for all your help - I will check out that link mich. I think it is true that as more stress piles in I worry about everything more. I can never quite get my head around not having a diagnosis so other solutions keep on coming up and I don't quite fit any of them either. Frustrating when I need a handle on something.

:hearts_circle:

Mayb

Sluggish
Marina

Good to see you around again, Mary, we missed you! :love: Although I'm continually sorry that you have to continually be put through so much, both in your health and in life in general... There's absolutely no need to apologise for anything either :hearts_circle:

In reading your symptoms about your joints, my instant reaction was that it might be rheumatoid arthritis (not the same as ordinary arthritis), which is an autoimmune disorder and, having consulted uncle Google and just read a couple of the symptoms in great speed, I wondered if it might sound like some of your symptoms? Also, it would seem " RA" is a condition with relapses and remissions and can cause fatigue. It also tends to be worse in the mornings and can cause dry eyes.

More on Rheumatoid Arthritis here:

http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/arthritis..._clin_pres.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/rheumatoid_arthritis/article.htm

http://www.rheumatology.org/public/factshe...nditions/ra.asp

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/rheumatoid_.../article_em.htm

I do think that when one's been undiagnosed for as long as you have, that it's only perfectly normal to keep on wondering the cause is and to feel frustrated by not finding one! Even more so, perhaps, for fear of otherwise being labelled as a hypochondriac or of people saying it's all in our minds and so on. As you may remember, we have a slightly similar history in that sense... In that it took at least 18 yrs (possibly 30+) for me to get my DX of MS... having eventually been told, like you, 22 yrs ago that I looked like a "classic case" of ME which was never really a truly official DX, even if I did get partially treated for ME.

Anyway, the rheumatoid arthritis thing is only a thought and may or may not be related to your symptoms

In the meantime, extra :help2: with the Tribunal and you're ever so strong to be able to represent yourself! It must make you feel ever so worn out...

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

mayb

Thank you Marina I have been missing you all too but just couldn't find the energy to go on site. I have looked at the link to Parkinsons and MS that mich posted (thanks again mich) it was very helpful but I had to smile when I read this bit:

People born in May have an increased risk of developing multiple

sclerosis, according to a new study.

In multiple sclerosis (MS), the lining of the sheaths enclosing the

nerves become eroded, leading to a range of disabling neurological

symptoms. The cause is unknown. However, according to researchers at

the University of Oxford, England, the month of birth seems to be a

risk factor............................

this means that those born in May have a 13 per cent

increase in risk of MS compared to those born in November. It is not

clear why this seasonal link occurs - but perhaps it has some link

with the mother's sun exposure during pregnancy which might affect the

brain development of the baby."

No prizes for guessing which month I was born in! :hearts_circle: There is something stubborn about us Taureans and we never give up on things, so that probably explains why I am still in there fighting my case at the Tribunal. I did not chose to do this but lost my solicitor again - how careless can you get I ask myself. This one was withdrawn by my Union because they wanted to use them to fight a battle at the Tribunal, with one of my witnesses,who had brought a case against the Union itself. If I had the energy I think I might sue the lot of them for dumping me in the poo like this.

The arthritis idea sounds like it could be a runner - I do have problems that relate to this and I will check it out too. Why didn't my doctor do that I wonder. Is there a blood test for this or something simple that can rule it out I wonder too. I think they are of the opinion that I am being looked after and there is nothing more that they can do for me. I wish they could spend a day in my brain and think again :help2: .

Nice to be back, lets hope my next new post will be good news!!

:love:

Mayb

Lindyloo

ooooh Mary so lovely to see you back - I have missed you too hunni... :help2:

I agree with all Marina has said - I am sending you a big big hug and of course a big bar of yummy chocci...

My dad has reumatoid Arthritis - he is 70 now.... and he is having his second hip replacement tomorrow afternoon - so i hope it all goes well for him... Yes as far as i know it is picked up in a blood test along with symptoms. With my dad i think it started when he was in his late 30's... i think it was the toe joints or finger joints...

My dad has been on treatment which works really well for him... the last year has been bad for him resulting in his hip deteriorating and needing a new op... this was first done 10yrs ago..

I agree that the symptoms you describe are quite like my dads.. opening jars,shaking hands (grip) annoy him alot, dry eyes, fatigue and a whole lot more aches,pains.. He goes to the gym every odd day and swims and says the sauna is fantasic for his symptoms -heat helps alot.....Just a thought Mary!

The very best of luck with the Tribunal - i look forward to when it is all over for you.. Im sure the stress of it all is a nightmare.. Thinking of you Mary and so glad to see you back with us..

Lots of Love

Lindyxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Im actually eating a cadburys finger of fudge - :hearts_circle:

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Michelle

Mary,

My daughter is a Taurean and I agree that you lot are stubborn indeedy :help2: My other daughter is a Leo and very different...throw in a Piscean mother and you get quite a mix.

Let us know what date in October your tribunal is so we can all be thinking of you and sending you prayers,good vibes and tons of love.

Christina

Hi there

Yes you can have a blood test for rheumatoid arthritis, where they will look for rheumatoid factor (RF). The difference in symptoms between RA and OA is that rhematoid has hot, painful, swollen and stiff joints and sometimes a feeling of being unwell, and a temperature when the RA is flaring up. OA produces painful, swollen and stiff joint but not a feeling of being ill or having a fever. It would be well worth asking your GP about it.

Chris x

mayb

Hi Lindy loo it is good to hear from you too. I think, having read through all of this and followed the links, that some form of arthritis is going on here. It is definately in line with some of my symptoms and I thnk perhaps I will go back to the gp and ask him about it. Thanks for the info too Chris and I hope your dad gets on well with his new hip. I think it is amazing what they can do now on that score - I met a lady with two replacement hips the other day and she was caring for another very poorly lady and skipping around like a youngster.

A while back one of the nurses at the pain clinic asked me if I had arthritis and I said nobody had suggested that before and didn't really think about it after that. This has come on strong this time and I was in bed this morning as I did feel sort of clammy and hot like I was going down with something - I have been feeling sick off an on for a while. I feel a bit better now but my hands are sooo sore and a bit shaky too. The eyes are seeing this double - which means when I send my love and hugs they will be sent twice at least!! I am grateful that I touch type as it helps me keep in touch via email and I have a magnifyer on the computer etc.

Now I am back I think I had better stay as you are the only people who really know what it is like in our world.

I think that you are likely to have more heads on with your Leo than your Taurus mich as Leo's like to be in charge!! I think you have to appeal to the Taurus rather than force issues as we are very kind hearted and like things to be logical and fair - we love a happy home and our creature comforts and can be bribed with chocolate of course. :help2: It is funny how we sometimes do fit in with our star signs! I think I am pretty much a typical Taurean but not visually as I am quite light weight and have a long neck (and nose but lets not go into that)- I also have a long memory if anyone upsets me. I will forgive but not forget.

The Tribunal should be in October from the 12th to the 20th - a long one. The other side are trying to delay this as they are not ready - as they sacked me I cannot see how they were not ready back then?? I do hope they don't get away with that one as I cannot bear to live like this for much longer. It has been nearly two years since this began! Thank you for being so supportive though it will help me to know that you are sending me boosters!!

I feel a whole lot better about the Parkinson's though - which is weird as RA doesn't sound like much of a picnic either!!

:hearts_circle: and very big ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) to you all.

Mayb

Christina
Thanks for the info too Chris and I hope your dad gets on well with his new hip. I think it is amazing what they can do now on that score - I met a lady with two replacement hips the other day and she was caring for another very poorly lady and skipping around like a youngster.

:hearts_circle: This made me chuckle, Mayb. I Don't think it's my Dad that's having the hip replacement - well if it is he hasn't told me!! :lol4:

:cry: Chris x

Michelle

It's Lindy's Dad Mary - I had to look :lol4: Thought I would save you the trouble :hearts_circle:

M x

mayb

Sorry folks I am suffering from some confusion in the brain (what brain) I am trying to do this from memory of what I have read and obviously got that wrong. So Lindy that message was for you and thanks mich for looking it up as I couldn't read all of that again.

I am spending the day mostly in bed (a duvet day as Shirl would say) - I am surrounded by papers and each time I surface I get a cup of tea and go into them for a while. I think I am almost there and I will be getting help from Tony this evening and will have to type it up - hope he can pick out any more confusions as he knows as much about this as I do poor soul.. So not back on here for a little while. I will pop back in tonight see how things are with you all.

Mayb

Michelle

Hope you're feeling better after the rest Mary. Chances are that you might not be,but I wish we all cured and getting on with life without any ailments and stresses. Wouldn't that be grand?

I've had a bad day today,but I digress :lol4: Nothing new there!

Hopefully,catch you tomorrow.

davidtaylor603

So far as is known Parkinson's and MS are completely different problems, but my experience is that some of the symptoms do appear to be quite similar in some people which is really where you need the likes of a neurologist to to sort out what you actually have.

The good news is that both conditions seem to respond well to LDN although there is far more evidence for that in respect of MS. Since it has little chance of giving major symptom reversal with either condition but mealy possible having a stabilising effect it is best to give it consideration sooner rather than later.

gillshutt

Not sure what all your other symptoms are but since you have a dx of CFS and have pain and stiffness in the nornings and tender areas as well it might be worth looking at fibromyalgia as another possibility.

Why me?

mayb

Thank you david I had forgotten about the LDN - how can that be you ask - well once I was told I didn't have a diagnosis for ms is sort of went out with it.

I will look into that once again. My own doc had not heard of it so no help there.

With fybromyalgia I sort of assumed they had checked out all of the also rans when I was being looked at for ms but then again not sure that my neuro was very interested in looking at anything too closely. Bit of a box ticker and next please merchant on a good day and a complete waste of space on a bad one. Will look at that again - in the end these are all self destruct diseases aren't they so perhaps LDN is a good response to anything at all and best not worry about the whys of it all. If only I could.

Sorry about the bad day mich but know how it is. I am expecting to need another duvet day tomorrow as things are right now. I am still so shaky that I do not trust myself to do very much and have had a few dizzy moments too when I get up. Managed to spend the evening downstairs for a while - least it was a change of scene. Don't know if I said I had moved upstairs lately - thought the exercise might be good for me going up and down occasionally and the room is very light and airy. When I get rich we are going to build a bathroom in there so I can be marooned in comfort if necessary.

I will catch up with all of your goings on when the eyes are a bit better and I have less paperwork to save them for. In the meanwhile I hope you are all as well as can be.

:lol4: for me I think - just for a change!!

Mayb

-Kaz-
Thank you Marina I have been missing you all too but just couldn't find the energy to go on site. I have looked at the link to Parkinsons and MS that mich posted (thanks again mich) it was very helpful but I had to smile when I read this bit:

The cause is unknown. However, according to researchers at

the University of Oxford, England, the month of birth seems to be a

risk factor............................

this means that those born in May have a 13 per cent

increase in risk of MS compared to those born in November. It is not

clear why this seasonal link occurs - but perhaps it has some link

with the mother's sun exposure during pregnancy which might affect the

brain development of the baby."

No prizes for guessing which month I was born in! :cry: There is something stubborn about us Taureans and we never give up on things, so that probably explains why I am still in there fighting my case at the Tribunal.

I was born on the last day of April..........does that still count?!! I am a true Taurean though and as stubborn as they come! :lol4:

I think that you are likely to have more heads on with your Leo than your Taurus mich as Leo's like to be in charge!! I think you have to appeal to the Taurus rather than force issues as we are very kind hearted and like things to be logical and fair - we love a happy home and our creature comforts and can be bribed with chocolate of course. :pig: It is funny how we sometimes do fit in with our star signs! I think I am pretty much a typical Taurean but not visually as I am quite light weight and have a long neck (and nose but lets not go into that)- I also have a long memory if anyone upsets me. I will forgive but not forget.

Had a chuckle at the Taurean traits, whether you believe in it or not we are each pretty typical of our star signs. Visually i am also like you though in that i am quite lightweight (for now at least!!), have a long neck and long nose :lol4: but the nose is a family trait as me, my sister and mother are all the same and we have my grandad to thank for that, bless him!!

Hope you succeed in your tribunal case and stay as well as you can, it must be very stressful. Duvet days are great aren't they? I've had to have some myself the last couple of days! :bed:

Michelle, i hope you have a better day today, my headache from hell has improved considerably thank goodness. :hearts_circle:

Keep smiling :-)

Kaz

mayb

Hi Kaz - my grandad has a lot to answer for too. In our genes though are these nice little noses which somehow I missed out on!! Most of them went to the boys in our family along with the long eyelashes and beautifully defined eyebrows. They don't need them but I do!!!!

It would be interesting to do a poll on birth dates and see if we are reflected in these statistics don't you think - not the noses but the ms thing.

Must get back to the duvet - thank god someone invented them as sheets and blankets don't have the same appeal somehow. :hearts_circle:

Mayb