The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Heste

Car Adaption

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

Heste

Today I tried out my first car adaption, a steering wheel control knob or steering ball or, it would seem, a suicide knob.

My left arm is getting ever weaker and I have found that, although it does still work, I tend to drive with it in my lap and only one hand on the wheel. This is clearly not just not good practice but dangerous, so I bit the bullet and contacted Mobilise for their advice, the DVLA and the Motability Insurance people.

Today I went out for a test drive with it. It was a lot easier to use than I had expected. I thought it was going to be totally different to holding the wheel but apart from needing to make my movements more subtle it is much the same. After a very short distance I was driving normally.

My only concern is that I might find it tiring to hold the knob in the same position for long periods. Tomorrow I am travelling for 50 miles and so that should tell me.

I got this one from Halfords. Its a basic device that simply clamps to the wheel. Motability said that when I get my next car they will fit one on it. I really need it to have the quick release system so my wife can drive sometimes without it.

At least this keeps me driving safely, :hearts_circle:

Regards,

John :lol4:

Lindyloo

That great news John - i hope it helps you alot.. and makes driving easier for you.

I drive a Ford Fiesta and i had adaptions done on it a few years ago now... They completely changed my life for the better!! My legs especially my right leg gets very achey and very tired and i was finding it increasingly harder while driving.. My leg would be killing me if i got stuck in traffic..and i could be in pain for a week after been caught in a simple traffic jam.

My car is dual/automatic it can be drove in manual mode or automatic. I have the push pull hand control which is placed just down from my steering wheel.. Pull to accelerate and push to brake... and i have the spinner ball which is detachable.. it makes driving so so easy for me and i dont have to use my legs at all.. plus Conor can still drive the car manually.

Hope you get on well tomorrow John.

Best wishes

Lindy :hearts_circle:

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Michelle

Like Lindy I drive an adapted car with push pull system. I also use a sterring ball, which I find difficult to use for long journey's,and going around large roundabouts. It's keeping my hands up for long periods that makes my muscles ache.

Lindy, do you find it difficult to turn windscreen wipers on when you have all your hands tied up on the steering ball, and push pull system? My indicators are easy enough as they were placed on the end of the push pull . I do love the fact though that I can relax my legs whilst driving. That part is brill.

Michelle :hearts_circle:

Lindyloo

Sorry Mish hunni - i will answer you properly tomorrow - was watching the football tonight and i have a another cold.... just got rid of a cold and now its back again .... so i am going to bed..

Hope you feeling better...

Lots of love

Lindyxx :hearts_circle::lol4:

LindyLoo xx

Heste

100 miles later.

Driving with the steering knob is fine. No problems at all. I suppose it helps being in London traffic as you get to rest your arms quite a bit while being stuck in traffic.

The packaging the knob came in had a diagram on the back showing the knob mounted on the inside of the steering wheel, but on the front it had a photograph showing it mounted on the outside of the wheel. I would not want to be sitting at the wheel of that car when turning a sharp bend! (there is a knob collision joke somewhere in there).

The best thing is that now I feel safe and legal. Hopefully anyone in the car with me will feel safer also.

I can see how it would be handy to have the indicator controllers on the wheel with the knob but I can still use my left arm for specifc short tasks although this particular arm does does give me that "ow, do I have to" look when I make it use an indicator.

Regards,

John :hearts_circle:

Dianni

Fantastic John! It must be a massive relief.

It has been suggested that I'd benefit from getting adaptations for the car but although I agree physically I would be able to drive again, my concentration is shot and that really worries me. I don't trust myself to drive anymore and have lost confidence so have given it up. I've not handed my license back though. You never know, I might get a bit of improvenment at some point lol.

Hugs

Di

xxx

Heste

Hi Danni

Of course having a driving license is useful as a form of ID regardless of whether you actually drive or not.

Today I am going for a day out with my wife. This will be the first time she has been in the car with me since the adaption.

Regards,

Aldo

i have a steering ball, the orignal one was round and free with my motability car, i rang the fitting company (name forgoten now!) and asked if i could have an 'egg' shaped one, came a while back and its shape, for me is a lot better than the round one

Please ignore my spelling.. I struggle at the best of times!

Heste

I saw my Neuro last week for my annual appointment. I told him about how my arm has got worse and how this is affecting my driving. As my driving license is about to expire I needed to make sure he was fully up to date as they will probably write to him about me.

I told him I had started to use the steering ball in an effort to make my driving safer. He suggested that I go for a driving assessment and pre-empt the DVLA. When I send off the reapplication form I could attach the assessment.

I drive about 20,000 miles a year and so I very keen to remain safe and, indeed, remain driving. So for me its not just a case of getting the DVLA to let me keep driving but I want to be a safe driver. I see my MS nurse on Tuesday and so I will arrange it through her.

Regards,

Michelle

John,

Don't pay for the assessment yourself, go through Motability - they will pay for the assessment. I was told by the dvla that I would have to have a Driving Assessment before they would renew my license. It was all pretty straight forward for me,and I found Motability Wales very helpful with keeping meon the road.

Regards

Michelle :hearts_circle:

Heste

Thanks Mish,

It hadn't occurred to me that it might need to be paid for. :lol4:

I will see what my MS nurse has to say and then perhaps try Motability.

Regards,

John :bravo:

Heste

I changed my mind and decided to try Motability first before I talk to my MS nurse. I told them about my arm and they are happy to fund the assessment and so I should hear from them in a couple of weeks.

So thank you again Mish.

Regards,

linds

This is so helpful to me as well thanks everyone. My right arm is useless so I gave my driving up. Mt spatial awareness is also U-S. After reading these posts I am going to have a re think as I still have my driving Lic.

You are an inspiration.I loved driving our 1951 Land Rover series 1 fully restored (Land Rover not me ha ha) Lindsx

Lindsx

Heste

I loved driving my 1988 V8 Landy. It was spoiled slightly when I started using unleaded petrol as it lost its roar but I loved it all the same.

Unfortunatley I had to sell it when I could no longer drive it (you need a working left foot). Converting it to automatic would have been difficult (and almost criminal).

I did want a series I or II but my wife put her foot down ... Something to do with drippng oil and suggestions of it sitting on blocks for years.

Good luck with getting back to driving. Its a freedom thats worth the effort I think.

Regards,

Michelle

That's no problem John.

Michelle :bravo:

Lindyloo

Hi Mish

Sorry for delay in getting back to you - My hand control is close enough so i can flick the switch with my finger while still holdin the ball with my left hand...Mish can u still use your feet/legs if you want to? Conor drives our car as normal and pops off the ball..

Honestly i dont know where i would be without my adapted car...best thing ever!! for independence.

Linds go for it and good luck with it all - its never too late....

LindyLoo xx

Michelle

Hi Lindy,

My indicator lights are no problem - they are attached to my push pull system. I am not allowed to drive without my plate,Andrew just unscrews it when he wants to use it. He occasionally uses it with the plate on so that he can identify with me. Well, that's what he says. The chap that did my assessment warned me that Andrew would probably love the adaptations,as boys love their gadgets. :cheerleader3:

It things like my windscreen washers that annoy me. I have to take my hand off the pullpull if I want to turn them on,which means the car slows down :countsheep: It's not too bad though. I do get some funny looks if there's a car behind me,and I slow down for no apparent reason. If they are too close to my boot,that's their problem :you-rock:

Michelle

linds

Hi John, our LR (called Rufus) was completely restored by a 74 yr old chap from Yorkshire. We love it. OH drives it now and goes to the odd rally. It is like a family pet!!

Thing is I have to wear a sports bra when I ride in him .....ouch Linds

Lindsx

Christina

Tee Hee Michelle - when you talk about your push/pull system - I'm guessing you mean on your car and not your own personal push/pull. All sorts of images in my mind now :cheerleader3:

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Michelle

Now don't be naughty Christina :you-rock: The hand controls are the only thing that I pull these days. Oh, and muscles. Most men shy away from me,as I always have a scowl on my face :countsheep::pompom: <<< Not true! Most people say that I always have a smile on my face. I'm sure they mistake this smile for a grimace.

I think there's a pic of my hand controls somewhere. Will have to look.

BTW, I seem to have inherrited your backache. I'm having great trouble going from sitting to standing position. The pain is dull,but intense. I just popped some Paramol,as Baclofen isn't easing any of the symptoms. So, I'm thinking it's mechanical. Now all that's left to do is befriend an engineer. Before I attempt to find one I will have to polish up on my pulling techniques. Failing that,there's always Andrews wallet.

Michelle :cheerleader3:

Heste

I have my adaptation driving assessment on Wednesday. I think it will be quite interesting. My expectation is that they will say the steering wheel knob is all I need but it will be good to have it agreed by a competent authority.

My wife is going with me. We are planning to go for the assessment in the morning and then visit Beth Chatto's Garden in the afternoon.

It should be a nice day out together.

Regards,

John :cheerleader:

Michelle

I'm sure you will have no problem John. I tensed myself, and nearlly ended up driving into a wall :lol4: The assessor told me that I should know better, what with being a counsellor :lol4: Andrew and I popped into Cardiff for a nice relaxing coffee afterwards :cheerleader::cheerleader:

Regards

Michelle

Heste

I was assessed today.

It involved filling out a brief questionnaire and then the OT went through what range of movements I had. We talked about what issues I had been experiencing and what solutions were available now and what might be useful in the future.

Then I went for a drive in their heavily adapted car. The only item I was trying out was the steering ball with indicator controls on it. It works very well. I liked it and got on with it very well. My only doubt about it was that it gave my left arm nothing to do at all. Is this a good idea I ask myself? Use it or lose it leaps to mind.

Overall, the assessment demonstrated that the action I have already taken is correct. The OT said if I had not already got one then the steering ball is what they would have recommended anyway.

They showed me various shapes of steering knobs which were all quick release and interchangeable. What I thought might be useful is to have more than one shape so I can swap it periodically to stop my hand aching from holding the same shape ball all the time.

One aspect I was not aware of was that they can adjust the resistance of turning the steering wheel. It can be made very light and reduce the effort and thus the fatigue of steering.

We also discussed the idea of an arm-rest for the left arm. Many cars come with them or they can be easily added. This could support my arm so it can continue to hold the wheel and operate the indicators (while keeping the ball for turning the wheel).

I will now send a copy of the assessment report to the DVLA with my application for a new driving licence. I will also use its recommendation when I get my next Motability Car.

Regards,

John :lol4:

Michelle

Glad it went well for you John. You have now made me wonder what I do with my left arm whilst driving. At this precise moment in time I could not tell you :lol4:

Regards

Michelle :cheerleader:

Lindyloo

Glad it went well for you John - Thats great about how they can adjust the resistance of the steering wheel. I did not know this. i actually think i will look into this. My arms/hands also get very fatiqued sometimes and going around corners uses alot of effort and can be a strain on particular bad ms days.. Also i have small hands and my steering ball is quite large so i will also look into finding out about getting a smaller one or a different shape... My hand does ache sometimes especially if i have been driving more than usual.

Thanks John and happy driving :cheerleader::lol4:

Lindy

LindyLoo xx