The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Lindyloo

Swine flu vaccine

102 posts in this topic Last Reply

Lindyloo

Hi guys

Just wondering have any of you got the Swine piggy flu jab or are you going to get it?? If not would mind saying why you wont be getting it? thanks...

I am just wondering what to do and was worried about possible side effects....

thank you all in advance

love lindyxx :flowerface:

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Sleepy
Scully

Hi Lindy,

I was just trying to get some advice on this same subject too.

I'm very unsure, I think we may fall into the high risk catergory for getting the first wave of the jab? ( I think)

There was a lot of 'if's and but's over the whole piggy jab.

Is it worse to have the jab that may play havoc, or worse to get the flu, which may also play havoc.

I'm seeing the GP on Thursday, so I think I may ask him what he thinks?

Sorry not much help, I'm as confused as you are :flowerface:

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Christina

Hi Lindy

Can't say I've made up my mind completely yet. My inclination at the moment is not to have it based on things I read about it not being very extensively tested and because I think I may have had Swine flu in the last couple of weeks anyway. It's a tricky one I think but most people with MS are being advised to have it.

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Heste

I have no hesitation at all. When my GP contacts me and asks me to come in for a jab I will go and have it.

I am due to have my annual flu jab on the 3rd of Nov. At the same time I am having my once only Pneumonia jab. You never know they might have the swine flu jab to give me at the same time.

:flowerface:

Regards,

John :lol4:

Hezza

Hi Honey,

If I'm offered it (and I suspect I will be) then I am having it. As I said in previous threads I have a tendency not to recover fully from relapses and have also been told by my Neuro that if I have another relapse in the next 12 months we have to discuss "other" options for treatment e.g. Tysabri so I'd rather have the jab than run the risk of catching something that could either have serious complications or send me back into relapse. I'm not that keen to get an "upgrade" on my MS status :flowerface:

My Neuro's opinion when I asked him was that if I'm offered it I should take it. The vaccine is, I believe, manufactured in the same was as the seasonal flu vaccine and I have never had any major issues with that.

It seems everyone has a different opinion on this and so I'd just advise you to seek advice from people with the expertise to give you the information you need and whose opinion you trust and then make whatever decision you're comfortable with. As Scully will be doing perhaps a chat with your GP would help?

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Michelle

I'm unsure.

Michelle :flowerface:

Lindyloo

Thank you everyone..

I have spoke to my doctor about it she said she would advise it but not at the moment with me still on the mend.. she said i am at lower risk as i am staying at home most of the time. She also said it would give her time to see what the possible side effects would be as to other people being vaccinated.

I think i will wait and see how others pan out with this vaccine. I think the flu vaccine of 1976 has frightened alot of people with getting this jab.. anyhow im still unsure..

Keep well everyone

Love Lindy

LindyLoo xx

Dianni

I'm unsure too. One day I think I'll go for it, the next I think I wont :lol4:

My MS nurse said she recommends I have it. My friend who works for the health service disagrees! I've had my first ever annual flu jab and pneumonia jab and had no side effects.

Having said I cant make my mind up, if my kids or grandsons were offered it and they were dithering, I'd encourage them to go for it :flowerface:

Do as I say not as I do or practice what I preach? :dog:

Hugs

Di

xxx

Hezza

The MS Trust have updated their Swine Flu info to include a bit more about the vaccine: MS Trust: Swine Flu

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Bernadette

I'm wary of vaccines generally, so my inclination is not to get the swine flu vaccine.

PetraTheHun
I'm wary of vaccines generally, so my inclination is not to get the swine flu vaccine.

I'm with you. With the "Pandemix" flu jab they want to know how people react, as they have NO test results on it so far. "Tamiflu" and "Relenza" are not preventative at all, but are still effective (well, they state 46% - I checked on various websites on Google) if taken within 48 hours of symptoms.

I'm really worried that the side effects could knock me sideways, as I suffer from really bad muscle cramps anyhow. It's a totally unproven drug and I hate to be a guinnea pig for the pharmaceuticals. I had a flu jab last year and spend a week in bed with 40c fever.

Argh, what to do. It's a bit of a mess, isn't it?

Petra

Lindyloo

Hi Petra

Im really worried about it all - I have spoke wiv my doc...my14yr old son Rian is asthmatic but it is mild thankfully - but winter is the only time of year when his chest flares up with common colds/viruse etc.. last year he had to take a short course of steroids but he has been well wiv no asthma probs at all since last year...My doctor is recommending Rian for jab... I have made his appt for next week.. I hope i am doing the right thing... its on my mind alot..My husband wants to get it also as i dont know if i will get it yet..

What to do eh????

LindyLoo xx

Heste

I had my annual jab yesterday and the once only pneumonia jab (one in each arm).

So I asked the nurse with the needles what was happening with the swine flu jabs. She knew nothing. They have no plans to call people in that she was aware of. She recommended that I call the surgery in a week.

These same nurses are handing out leaflets about Swine Flu that say we will be called in order of priority.

So it would seem, despite everything we read or hear in the news, the best thing to do is to get yourself a large cardboard box (about the size of a washing machine), half fill it with straw, add a flask of Tea and some biscuits, eat a hearty meal and then hibernate for the winter.

Regards,

John :rolleyes:

Christina

Got a bit of a hankering for life as a tortoise John? :rolleyes: Let us know, we could get you out next Spring!

Chris x

Lindyloo

Gosh - My Rian is just gone now for his swine flu jab - he has asthma ... Im so worried about it i feel sick..

Im sure he will be ok but i cant help worrying ... I have decided to get it also prob next week.. :rolleyes:

LindyLoo xx

Michelle

Oh, linds xxxx

Hopefully Rian will be fine! Let us know how he is.

Sending good vibes and prayers

M xxx

Lindyloo

He's fine Mish - i am keeping him off school tomorrow as a precaution and a treat (he thinks) he is delighted.. He has no side effects at all ...and my friend who also has MS had her jab also today - she is fine too with no side effects also... A huge relief ..

Going to book to have mine now.. There is a good bit of swine flu i believe in Sligo..

Big hugs hunni and thanks for the vibes and prayers.... i was so nervous about him having it.. also i dont know of anyone who has had the jab yet. So that did not help my nerves..

tonight Rian was upstairs watching Laurel & Hardy drinking his favourite 7UP and playing James Bond on the X box..

Nitey nite and chat you tomorrow ...

Lindyxx

LindyLoo xx

Christina

I had my official invitation for Swine flu vaccine this morning!

Still not completely decided but I've got a couple of weeks to make up my mind!

I'm glad Rian seems well and no reaction Lindyloo - must be a relief for you.

Let us know how you get on too.

Chris x

vix

I have looked into this as with having MS and being pregnant ......

Firstly it is NOT like the Flu jab it is NOT the live virus that they inject into you

Secondly they still haven't run main "trials" to see what happens

If it was only for my MS I would say no, but now that I have to factor a little one into this I am so unsure as again there has NOT been many trials carried out on pregnant women and if there is any harm to the unborn baby

I know that at my surgery they are only dealing with Asthamics, Diabetics and elderly first then I beleive it will be down to how many they have left and who should be entitled to it first......

Nice lottery that we run at times in this country

Vix

xxx

vix.jpg

Christina

Hi Vix

This is what my leaflet from my surgery says about the vaccine for pregnant women:

"Pregnant women are recommended to have the swine flu vaccine because they are at greater risk of being seriously ill with swine flu. They also have a higher risk of needing to go to hospital if they catch swine flu. These risks increase during the later stages of pregnancy. If you are about to give birth, having the swine flu vaccine could help you avoid catching swine flu and then passing it to your baby"

Also just to say that the Seasonal Flu vaccine isn't a live virus either, so in that respect the jabs are the same. As you probably know the swine flu vaccine is developed in hen's eggs but there is also a version availabe for people allergic to eggs.

Chris :welcome2:

threppence

Personal choice I guess, I go on my own experience of seasonal flu.I'm 45 now and have only once had real flu when I was a child, about 7 if memory serves.Have I been super fortunate or are the chances ogf getting flu quite small.

What annoys me is when you hear people say I've just had flu and they are back within 3 days or footballers described as having flu at the weekend and playing a full match mid week.real flu might last only a few days but it's affects are longer lasting,post viral fatigue and the rest.

Research and investigate and then make a decision on the jab.

Lindyloo

Hi everyone

Rian is still fine and i feel very happy that this vaccine is here to protect against this horrid virus..

Do any of you remember how dead against this i was - but having spoke with my doctor who i have a great relationsip with and she is very honest.. she advised i should have it.. she has done a lot of research on it and is going to have it herself..

Also previous vacc like Mumps, rubella are small amounts of live virus - this jab is small part of dead virus..

My bosses wife who has ms had the swine flu jab yesterday - she is fine so far .. and another friend of mine with ms also had hers and she is fine too..

Here they are vaccinating in priority groups.. Respiratory problems, diabetes, people on cancer drugs and Neurological diseases,MS, cerable palsy etc and pregnant women... everyone else here has to wait until these priorities are dealt with first..then i think the hopital workers,carers etc will be the next group...

Here they are saying the older people over 65 possibly have more of an immunity than younger people and possibly have a much stronger immune system due to the great flu of the 1940s.. So they are not the first priority here. Its a shite time for us all

isnt it?? I would normally say no too - but this time i feel i have to go with what the doc tells me to do

But thats just the way i feel i understand we are all different and have different thoughts - but thank you all as you have all helped me so much with lots of decisons.... (you know who you are)

Its is freezing here and raining and really windy..... :welcome2:

LindyLoo xx

Michelle

Here in Wales Hospital/Health care profesionals have been the first to get the vaccine...makes sense.

Michelle :welcome2:

RedSonja

Here in Germany they jabbed medical personnel and the armed forces etc. first. Now people in risk groups like MS can be done. The GP will call me as soon as they get some more.

I always get vaccinated against everything. Firstly to protect myself, against the disease and against any MS surge it might cause, and secondly to protect my family, friends, colleagues and humankind in general.

The flu epidemic in 1918-1919 killed more people than world war one. If you are in contact with old folks or new babies or other MSler you really should protect yourself and them.

I don't know why the media try to stir up groundless panic against vaccines. I cannot believe they really subscribe to those daft conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

Bibo ergo sum

2serious
Hi guys

Just wondering have any of you got the Swine piggy flu jab or are you going to get it?? If not would mind saying why you wont be getting it? thanks...

I am just wondering what to do and was worried about possible side effects....

thank you all in advance

love lindyxx :you-rock:

Hi. Back after a long hiatus. Firstly, my add for LDN. Prevents car wrecks=exacerbations. Anyway, personally I would never take a flu vaccination. But what you decide is wholly your own. Why not vaccines for me and mine? If you look at actual statistics a relatively small part of the population actually gets ill - many more just carry it - and then one or two die and that makes the papers. Did they check on deaths from alcohol or maybe food poisoning last year? Also risky. Now, in Holland a bunch of babies died off-the-bat from the vaccination. I read somewhere that all the lab rats in a Norwegian medical study died of the vaccine. Hmm. MS people do tend to feel weaker. But there is also a probable emotional weakness. Emotion - fear in various forms - can lead to vulnerability to what we dread. I have felt and read about this too much. At the same time we have this hyper-immune system that surely works on pathogens. I have not had an actual cold since the first attack in 1988. Finally, dear loves and shining lights, Google MMS and Jim Humble. MMS can kill the flu virus in hours. It is the big protector. The period of 1918 was very different than now due to far higher cleanliness and countermeasures to infection. And I believe also people are different mentally and have infinitely more resources, preventive measures and treatments.