The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

Diagnostic Tests - Which Did You Have

Which of the following diagnostic tests led to your diagnosis?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

61 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

This poll will remain open at all times. Please choose ONE of the above options. Please note that the system allows one to vote once only, so please make your choice carefully.

You may comment on which combination of tests you had if more than one. (Replies were only added to this poll long after it was started)

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

scubachick

I had evoked potentials after my "first attack" but i was not confirmed until I had an MRI scan after my "second attack" which was about 2 years later. I had a 2nd MRI scan after my third episode which was about another 3 years later. All this took place about 10 to 15 years ago.

Tracy

--------------------

There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness!

jac

I've had 3 MRI scans, the first one about 5 years ago that came back clear, dr put my symptoms down to stress!! The other 2 were last year, one of just my brain, luckily it proves i have one!!! and the 3rd my neck and spine. The last one showed up a few issues, tho nothing conclusive! Finally I had a lumbar puncture, this also showed some dodgey fluid (my dr's words)! .

Oops

Brain MRI and LP here. MRI was inconclusive though, and my MS is thought to be mostly spinal (only one brain lesion at last count)...They were going to do a spinal MRI but then I had another attack and they were able to dxon clinical signs and LP.

Apologies in advance if I post then vanish for a bit - I work away from home and will be back at the weekend!!!

Dae9

i had a lumber punture and an mri

Lumber Punture- My doctor gave me some padine forte and said drink lots of coffee it will help stop leaking fluid from ur spine. mixing a stimulant with a relaxing drup? confused? i am

I'ved had 4 MRI in 4 Yrs, more lesson on the brain each time and more lessons on my spinal cord each time.

i spent $890.00 on an mri scan and my Doctors recpetionist rang me and said "the doctor went through the scan an it rumbleing along"

I picked up the mri scan from him and it came with a 3 page letter from the scan people.. i couldn't find the words rumbling along!@!!!

Scooby

I've had a brain and spine MRI and a lumber puncture.

A hug is for life, not just for Christmas!

Aldo

all 3. DX'd after 2nd scan after having the same problems before..

Please ignore my spelling.. I struggle at the best of times!

Hezza

I had an MRI of the brain and evoked potentials followed by an MRI of the spine. Have seen 2 Neuros and both are so sure of MS diagnosis given tests so far that they are not making me have an LP - mixed blessing I guess!

• Like 1

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

moretricia

I've had 2 MRIs, first one just my brain, the second brain and neck, evoked potentials and a lumbar puncture. Was told the day after the second MRI, lumbar puncture and evoked potentials that the second MRI was conclusive and I didn't really need to have had the other tests!

The lumbar puncture was nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated, in fact the worst bit was having to lie still and being desperate for the loo! :artist:

marcia

I had 3 MRI scans, brain, neck & spine all of which showed nothing unusual. Evoked response showed slowness, lumber puncture was the decisive one, abnormal spinal fluid

ppms, diagnosed 1992

fishej

I had brain and neck MRI scan, which threw up lots of 'small areas of inflammation'. A month later I went for a lumbar puncture, but got forgotten, so went home! Went back the following week for 2nd attempt. This revealed some 'action in the nervous sytem', although it took 3 weeks and another relapse to get diagnosed.

morphinehell

had 2 MRI's and two LP's dx's quickly and have declined lots. 4 lesions and both LP's posative

My Dog ATE my signature

Amanda

I had one MRI scan and one LP for confirmed DX.

clare

i had an MRI and was told the next day the scan showed scares to my brain so i didnt need a lumb (from scan to treatment was by IV WAS 2 DAYS IT HAPPENED SO QUICK DIDNT HAVE TIME TO THINK)

cyprus_dave

I took everything that was going...

3 MRI's - one of brain and two of spine.

Chest X-RAY

Blood tests

Evoked Eye Potentials

Lumbar Puncture

Plus all the cursory Poking, scratching, sensory and bending tests.

Dave

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it."

liddy
Plus all the cursory Poking, scratching, sensory and bending tests.

Yes, had lots of those and just one MRI scan. Also confirmed Optic neuritis prior to these tests.

jillart

I had MRI, X Ray, blood tests, and lumbar puncture.

Thanks

Life has become abstract

Jill (aka Smudge)

keira

MRI and 2 lumbar punctures

fiddlestix

I was as greedy as Dave: they hadn't invented MRI when I started, but I did have a lumbar puncture & a CT scan - also chest x-ray, bloods, etc. but everything was 'inconclusive'.

I enjoyed it all so much that two years later I had the whole lot (except the lumbar puncture) done again, but this time with even more blood tests; I got diagnosed with M.E.

Seven years down the line & they'd invented MRI, so I had one of those, plus another lumbar puncture; both were inconclusive for MS - but they did find a benign cyst in my brain!

A 2nd brain MRI about 16 months later finally clinched the diagnosis.

Have had a spinal MRI since then (checking for Cauda Equina Syndrome); also the - very belated - Evoked Potentials on arm & leg; and I've lost count of the number of blood tests I've had in the intervening period.

From first worrying symptom to final diagnosis took 10 years & 4 months. :nuts:

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

garrym

I have had all three tests.

I had a brain MRI first, 2 months later my Visual Evoked Potentials test on a monday and the lumbur puncture on the friday of the same week.

I didn't have a very enjoyable lumbur. I went in at 10.30 in the morning, 3 doctors and a lot of pains down the legs later they managed to get the fluid by 2.30pm.

Aparently though it was successful- well the doc did say after, 'you can still walk, so it went well'. !! Haha!

They had to put me in the sitting position, apparently lying on my side wasnt going to work. I think im too heavy for that way.

I dont mean to put any others off of it though. If I had to go back in tomorrow again, id do it, and i have a fear of needles! You dont ever feel any needles going in and there is only pain if they hit bone and a damn nerve that gives a throbbing pain down a leg. They said I was one of the very unlucky ones, normally they get it straight away and only takes 10 mins.

toby

Me again, trying to get my post counter up a bit :newhere:

Orginal problem was loss of feeling in left leg (suspected sciatic nerve trouble) which went away after a couple of weeks.

Then thumb on right hand went numb, not good when using scalpels at work!

Right leg next and gp referal to neuro who listened done some whacking of the knee etc few questions and figured out that i was getting double vision when looking down at my chest. He told me there and then that he suspected it to be mild form of ms and not too panic.... yeah right!

Waited 5 months for mri scan of neck and c-spine(?). Those things are noisy - should play dance music through the ear defenders though and not classical like they did. It goes better with the rhythm.

On getting test results the neuro (Dr Wren) said straight out that i had ms and showed me the scans, 2 lesion in my head and 1 in the spine i think.

On reading other peoples post sometimes they wait years, but guess i was more fortunate.

So just an mri scan.

Have had a LP before but that was for severe anemia although i think they thought it was leukeamia. Had sedation for that and dont remember any adverse affects.

What are evoked responses tests?

Toby x

Lindyloo

Hi guys

I just had mri scan of brain - Have to agree with ya Toby.... very noisy... had a banging head after... and mine did not play music.... just BANG BANG BANG :newhere:

I was diagnosed with RRMS with the result of my mri as there were 1 -2 lesions on my brain.. also i had optic neuritis as a symptom.. and numbness up my right side and many more weird goings on...

I did have the evoked potential tests but never found out anything about it... to be honest i never asked...

I was diagnosed 1 day after my 31st birthday - 8 years ago... I think my symptoms first started when i was 29...

However i am keeping well just having wee flare ups here and there... but if i stay like this that will be cool..

Keep Well and Rest Well..Eat Well....

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Hezza

Hi Toby,

Evoked Potentials tests check how well the nerves are conducting messages. The most common one is "Visual Evoked Potentials" which test the optic nerves. I personally found them quite fun (but I do have a weird approach to tests as I tend to treat them all as an experience or an adventure :newhere: ) - you get electrodes stuck on your head and then images flashed in front of your eyes.

More info here: Evoked Potentials

I got to choose the music for my MRIs from a menu. I think I had Annie Lennox for the 1st one and Crowded House for the 2nd.

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Gaynor

that hurt.....the glue and state of your hair after is hideous!

It doesn't hurt in a pain way.....just the trying to stick the many electrodes to you!

cazanne

I had a full body Mri also had 15 attemps at doing the lumber puncher test, and now just had VEP & PERG Test

I think i would say the works :damneuro: now awaitng the results for lumber and VEP & PERG

Cazanne

Good Luck

Cazanne