The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Lindyloo

editing posts?

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Lindyloo

Hi

I have just noticed editing recently updated at the bottom of some posts .... Is this a new tool? message? or has it always been at the bottom of edited posts.. I have only recently noticed it!!

Also, i didnt know one could go back into an old post of a couple weeks/days and edit it?? is this possible too???

Confused

Thanks guys

Lindyx :hugs2:

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

DizzyDora

Hiya lindy, when you've written out your post if you look at the bottom on the right hand side, there are three boxes, if you click on "edit" a tiny drop down box will appear, saying quick edit or full edit, click on which ever one you want then you can make any ammendments you want.

Hope this helps

DD xx

Sluggish
Marina

The ability to edit has always been there but what is new is the message at the bottom of each edited post. We mods figured everybody should know when a post has been edited, in case it changes the meaning of something in the post.

What we would really appreciate, though, is if people would please, please, pretty please, enter a reason for why they edited their post, even if it's only to say it due to spelling. This is especially important if a word is changed, for instance if "do" is changed to "don't" - as it obviously totally alters the original meaning.

Yes, there is a time limit of 2 days for being able to edit your post. We don't want to make it longer than that, as people who keep replying to a topic may not read the entire topic and may not therefore see the edited change. We may even shorten the limit to 1 day, not sure yet.

I hope that helps explain it :hugs2:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Lindyloo

Thank you Marina and DD..

I understand now.. My husband and i just had a debate LOL.... I didnt think one could go back and edit old posts he thought you could... I thought you could only edit a post within 15 mins of posting...

Love Lindyxx :love:

LindyLoo xx

DizzyDora

You're very welcome hunni.

DD xx

Lindyloo

How do you give the reason...??

Is there a box to click on??

thanks

lindyxx

LindyLoo xx

Hezza

If you choose the "Quick Edit" option then a box will appear underneath asking for the resaon.

This box doesn't appear if you use "Full Edit" so I'd suggest just adding a note at the bottom of your post if you use full edit.

:hearts_circle:

Ps. I have a lovely image in my head of you and Connor having your debate beside the fire with a couple of pints of Guinness :wink2:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Sluggish
Marina

Cara, it does appear in Full Edit... it's in-between the typing box and the "Add Reply" button, just above the post icons. Do you not see it when there? It's just that it's much more visible in Quick Edit as one doesn't have all the other options above it like there are in the Full Edit.

Marina

Hezza

I just looked again and I definitely can't see it :hearts_circle: Maybe me being daft though :wink2:

Sluggish
Marina

Are you sure you're looking at Full Edit and not simply at a Reply? It should look like in the screenshot here:

msforum_edit.gif

Marina

Lindyloo

I cant see any reason box either in full edit or quick edit???

:hearts_circle:

LindyLoo xx

Sluggish
Marina

Well blow me! In that case, it seems the "Reason for edit" box is only for Admins... I assumed it was for everybody... How daft that it doesn't appear for everybody.

In that case, may I please ask people to add:

Edit: your reason for editing your post
at the end of their edited post.

By the way, I just checked the time limit for editing posts and it's 24 hrs, not 2 days as I said earlier.

Many thanks and sorry for any confusion!

Marina

Lindyloo

Thanks Marina... :cheerleader:

LindyLoo xx

DizzyDora

It doesn't show up on mine either :cheerleader:

DD xx

Nope just checked again, definately doesn't show up

Edited by DizzyDora

Sluggish
Marina

DD, unfortunately it won't show up on anybody's... I mistakenly thought everybody had that line as I have it, but it seems it's rather stupidly only for Admins like me and not for normal members..!

Marina

Sluggish
Marina

OK, now I'm totally confused myself :lol4: !

How come Christina can edit a post and can see and use that "Reason for edit" box but Cara doesn't even see it? If it were something to do with not just Admins but also mods being able to have that feature, then I'd understand, but I don't understand how one of them can see it and the other can't when both of them are are in the same "Moderator" member group? Here's Chris's edit with the "Reason for edit" line in it: http://ms-people.com/forum/index.php?s=&am...ost&p=50364 so's one can see I'm not hallucinating :hearts_circle:

Or has that "Reason for edit" line/box just suddenly appeared now, for mods at least if not for members? Or am I really just having one of MS brain fart moments?

Marina

Hezza

I can see it if I'm in Quick Edit but not in Full Edit, Marina. Hopefully that helps ease the confusion.

Sorry for brief response, laptop isn't connection to Internet so I'm confined to my phone :-(

Christina

Hi Marina

I think I've always been able to see the 'Reason for Edit' box. When I do my next edit I shall make a mental note if it's in full or quick edit!

Chris x :hearts_circle:

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

DizzyDora

I'm trying again to see if I can see an edit box

No just had another look in case I missed it but no, definately not there. Love the idea of your brain farts Marina haha

DD xx

Edited by DizzyDora