The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
simpsona

Well that was upsetting! :-( Where has my ability to speak gone?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

simpsona

Hi everyone,

Any of you will know if you seen my introduction post the other day that I'm not currently diagnosed with MS, just have quite a few unexplained symptoms that has lead me here.

Tried to make a routine phone call tonight to set up car insurance for my husband, admittedly I did have 3 kids getting louder and louder in the back ground (one has Aspergers and ADHD so mad house if you didn't catch my earlier post) but the call was just unbearable! I kept saying the wrong words, not even relevant words! Couldn't remember hubby's date of birth (Been together 17 years!) Could tell the guy was puzzled by the way I was talking, he was really nice and kept trying to make a light joke or finish what I was trying to say, but it was just awful! I'm not normally like that at all, I've been self employed for the last 3 years, retail management before that so well used to talking on the phone. When the call finally ended I just burst into tears, I just felt so 'not' in control of what I was saying. :wink2:

I am going to see my GP next week but just wondered if any of you have speech effected by MS and if so in what way?

Thanks. Sharon. x

Dianni

Hi Sharon.

I have a lot of problems talking on the phone even without any other distractions. I lose the thread of what I was saying, get my words muddles and have to often get the person I'm speaking to to repeat what they've said more than once!

I'm affraid I don't have any answers other than I always take/make calls when I'm in a room on my own and have even resorted to going into the bathroom! I also email anyone I can such as the insurances company and explain my difficulties if I can't do whatever is needed online. I've never had any negative responses to this approach and have often had emails back asking when would be best to call etc.

It's very frustrating and frightening tbh. Hope you are feeling a bit more positive again today.

Hugs

Di

xxx

simpsona

Thanks Di. x

Nice to know I'm not going insane. Just felt such a jibbering fool lol! It was so wierd. I am feeling a bit better today, just know I need to get to Doc's as soon as I get a chance. My youngest DD is there this Friday as she needs to be referred for ASD assessment (here we go again :love: ) so I'm going to let the Doctor know that I will be back in next week for me, just so many things going on that I keep putting my self on hold if you know what I mean. Don't know if it was coincidence or linked but around an hour after my jibbering phone call my left leg went into a lot of pain, same as I normally get in both legs but this time it was just the left one but quite severe? It's a wee bit better today but still sore and stiff when walking. Do symptoms tend to come on together?

Thanks for replying. :wink2:

Michelle
Hi Sharon.

I'm affraid I don't have any answers other than I always take/make calls when I'm in a room on my own and have even resorted to going into the bathroom! I also email anyone I can such as the insurances company and explain my difficulties if I can't do whatever is needed online. I've never had any negative responses to this approach and have often had emails back asking when would be best to call etc.

I like Di's approach to this problem,and think it's well worth considering it for future reference. I myself had this problem in the beginning. Now,I take it in my stride,and the more comfortable I feel about the problem, the less of a problem it becomes. It's scary stuff to start with,but usually it's a transient problem.

It's hard to say whether symptoms all come together,as we are all individuals,and it can vary from person to person.

Regards

Michelle :hearts_circle:

Tania B

Sharon,

I agree with Michelle I think Di's advice is very sound. It certainly sounds as though you are having a stresssful time at the moment and I suspect that isn't helping your symptoms. As Michelle say we are all individuals and I think we're each affected in different ways and in different combinations at different times.

As for speech difficulties I feel as I'm failing to make myself understood at times. Yesterday I had a few puzzled looks at work.

Do take care!

Tania x

simpsona
As for speech difficulties I feel as I'm failing to make myself understood at times. Yesterday I had a few puzzled looks at work.

Thanks Tania, I am feeling a bit better today although it does seem to be a bit of a spell at the moment! My left leg is still hurting enough for me to be taking pain relief every 4 hours! First time it has been one leg on its own? Hands are really stiff at the moment too.

Mind you, haven't had a chance to rest it at all what with school runs etc! Will try and put my feet up a 'little' bit over the weekend!

Thanks. xxx

RedSonja

Yes, I forget the names of things. That thingy there, right, what's its name?

I live in Germany and speak German most of the day. Foreign languages are the first to go, especially in the evenings when I am tired. So I say to my man, das Dingsbums, wie heisst es, and I have to go and point, or describe it in shorter words. Or say it in English. So embarrassing when we are out somewhere and I talk like some fresh immigrant.

Also my ears don't always work, especially in a crowd, then I have no idea what's going on. At this point I may just go home to bed.

Bibo ergo sum

simpsona

Hi Red Sonja,

Really funny mentioning your ears as my hearing has been terrible for the last few years! People are always accusing me of talking loud yet I really don't think I am? Also if there is a lot of noise ie a busy room with a few people in I can never seperate all the sounds? I constantly ask people to repeat themselves, gets a bit embarrassing when I ask 3 to 4 times be3fore I actually hear it! :crazy: Mentioned to the Doctor today that I'm going to be coming back in next week and he was fine, he did ask if I had my eyes checked out lately and I said I was about to, he commented that they sometimes pick things up that help the Doctor know where to look so that's what I will do early next week.

Dianni

Hi :crazy:

My OT explained that I have trouble hearing in a crowd or when say, the TV's on and someones speaking to me, because the filter isn't working and I can't seperate one noise from another and therefore don't hear anything clearly. I now tell people to look at me when they speak as this helps a lot and have explained it to my family so they accept that if we are out I can't hear them and they make adjustments. It makes things much easier to expalin if I know why it's happening!

Hugs

Di

xxx

simpsona

Thanks Di! x

I wouldn't have even thought the hearing was connected to everything that's been going on so it just goes to show! Hearing has been gradually getting worse over last few years tbh, I know what you mean though, just to know 'why' I am getting all these weird things going on would make me feel much better! x :hearts_circle:

kooky

Interesting to read that other people have issues with their hearing too.

My eyesight is pretty crap, but my hearing is shit hot......apart from when two people are talking or TV is on and someone is talking......or crowded rooms...then forget it.....I just sit and smile ( prob look like a loon !!!)

Sharon, I too suffer from what I call 'senior moments'....unfortunately they are all too frequent. You aren't alone hun.xx

Sick & tired of being sick & tired !!!!

Hezza

Hi Sharon,

The others have given some great advice. The only other "tip" that I can give is something that I do before making calls, especially if it's to sort something out. I simply jot down some of the key things that I need to cover on a pad and keep that to hand while I'm speaking.

I have a habit of substituting words when I speak and also sometimes when I type. I also find that what I was going to say can just disappear out of my head completely.

I can also totally relate to what Di, and others, have said about struggling to hear when there are other distractions as this happens to me too. I have had a conversation with someone at work, agreed something, and then had to go back to them 5mins later and ask them to tell me what we agreed because I'd totally forgotten it :lolbash:

The MS Trust have developed a website designed for people who have Cognitive problems. There are lots of tips on there too http://www.stayingsmart.org.uk/

:hearts_circle:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

simpsona

Thanks Hezza and Kooky, really nice to know I'm not alone. Have got so much on this week but really need to get to Doc's, half term next week so probably have a wee bit more time without the manic school runs to do! Hubby bit worried that I'm reading to much into all this and I see where he is coming from but it is the first time ever that all the weird things I'm feeling kind of make sense? If you know what I mean. Up until now I have really felt like a hypocondriac (bad spelling lol) and feel so old and tired for a woman of 39! I would never self diagnose but I know I need to get checked out, an MOT as my hubby put it! :hearts_circle:

It's good to know others are having similar experiences as I would have never made the connection between the range of symptoms at all. Thanks Guys! x :lolbash: