The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Jellybean

motability car/informing DVLA

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Jellybean

Hello!

Newbie alert :)

Hoping you can help meon this one - apologies in advance, it may be a long one!

Think I will do this in bullet form, as I do tend to go round the houses to explain things, and will probably confuse you as well as myself lol

9th Nov 09 white floater in my left eye, terrible headache, never had one like it or since. Over the course of 4 days lost sight completley in left eye.

13th Nov 09 went to walk in eye clinic - sent for an MRI scan. Optic Neurotis mentioned - of course looked up on the web and made the MS connnection!

Sight came back over about 3/4 weeks. I then had a numbness from chest down to my legs - as tho I was coming round from an op, sometimes feel like theres a very tight belt round my stomach - My feet also felt very strange - as tho I wouldn't know if I was wearing socks or not.

Early Jan 10 went to GP to see if he could speed up the neurologist appt, as I now had this numbness. He did write to the Neuro, who replied that he could not bring the appt forward, but suggested GP refered me directly to MS Clinic to speed things up. It seems very likely MS

18.2.10 Appt to see MS neuro (MS Clinic) Different Hospital, so didnt have access to the MRI scan. Sent for chest xray to eliminate anything else, also blood tests. Neuro to get copy of scan. In the meantime MS nurse will contact me this week.

With hindsight I am very sure that 2/3 separate episodes of not being able to walk properly - thinking I had a virus during 09 must have been some sort of 'attack'.

Today, I went to the orginal appt, and thankfuly the neuro, who is not MS specific, had a copy of the MRI scan - he is going to send a copy to the MS Neuro. Each of my symptons on their own would not point to MS but all of them together do.

Since yesterday afternoon, my tounge has gone numb and this morning woke up and my lips/chin numb and tingling.

Onto my question re DVLA

My 13 yr old daughter receives the higher rate mobility and care. I am looking into getting a motability car. I have more or less made up my mind that we will go for a Renault Grand Scenic, and have test driven an automatic, (never driven one before in my life lol)

I know I have to inform DVLA, but is that when I have the official diagnosis? Am worried the DVLA would take my licence, then I'd be in a right mess, as I need a car to be able to take my daugher out and about, and for me too!

Also I don't want to sign up to get the mobility car, only for DVLA to say I can't drive! Think I may be overreacting, as from reading on here, I think I am right in saying they would prob write to the neuro and let me carry on driving... and possibly give me a 3 year licence?

I am sposed to be getting back to the motability bloke to let him know what I'm doing.... should I go for it!

See, told you I went round the houses lol

Any advice welcome ;-)

Thankyou

x

World Autism Awareness Day, 2/4/2010

happyandy

Hi Jellybean and welcome.

Just because you have MS does not mean the DVLA will ban you. Lots of people with MS are able to drive. There was a recent thread on this forum started by Heste looking at various cars on the motobility scheme for example.

I got my license revoked basically because I informed the DVLA medical people that the drugs were making me drowsy and I have perception problems. I had stopped driving months before because of these specific issues.

Im sure you will be OK with the DVLA.

Apart from the Optic Neuritis your symptoms were similar to mine, particularly the "MS Hug" and numbness. Did the scan show any lesions ?

Anyway keep well

Andy

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

Jellybean

Hi Andy,

thanks for your reply and the welcome - so glad I found this site :-)

Yep there were lesions... I managed to get a copy of the mri report back in January, when I had to go back to the eye clinic.

Findings: 'Todays imaging of the brain shows multiple scattered white matter lessions, many of which are in a distribution around the ventricular margins and with the corpus callosum. There are also some temporal lobe lesions on the left side with some confluenent signal adjacent to the atrium of the left lateral ventricle' there's more but I won't bore you with that!

Conclusion ' White matter lesions as described suggestive of demyelination'

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, the motability bloke says all they do is send a copy of my driving licence off, with any restrictions, but of course as yet there are none.... Did you inform dvla once you had an official diagnosis?

Edited by Jellybean

happyandy

Jellybean,

To be honest I didn't realize I had to. Just remember that insurance companies will do anything to weasel out of there obligations.

Regarding your MRI, when I was told of my demylenisation a diagnosis of Clinically Isolated Syndrome was given. I suppose ( CIS) can be described as single sclerosis. A second MRI is usually required after a period to fulfill the McDonald criteria for a positive diagnosis of MS. Some people only ever have the one attack in life and it is described as benign.

With me, I was concerned about MND so it was a relief to find out it was MS. So I did not experience the juddering shock that many will have felt on dx.

I hope you enjoy being part of the forum its got a lot of nice people on it.

Andy

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

Hezza

Hi Jellybean and :dancingman:

Yes you do have to inform the DVLA once you have a diagnosis ( DX). This is a legal requirement. They will then start their own investigations and write to your GP / Neuro for more information. While all this is going on you can continue to drive as long as your GP is happy for you to do so.

I believe most of us here who drive are now on shorter term licenses which need reviewed between 1 and 3 years. This isn't something to be worried about and doesn't mean they'll take your license away.

I'd advise that you carry on with the motability arrangements you're already making. The whole DVLA process can take months so I wouldn't hold it up for that. For a bit more peace of mind a quick conversation with your GP might help.

:bdaytoyou:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Jellybean

Me again!

I had a letter on Friday, from the first Neuro, ( he is the one I shall be sticking with - think he specialized in MS). He has diagnosed, 'probable MS of relapsing remitting type.' I think once he has seen the scan, the 'probable' will probably dissapear!

He has a plan of action for me, which includes being referered to the, 'MS clinic, mentioning the ' DMT to be commenced soon in order to reduce the chances of further relapses'.

The eye I had ON in, is a lazy eye. If I had had the ON in my right eye, it would've been much worse. One of the ways I dealt with the ON was thinking, well at least it wasnt my right eye, something positive eh! :football: Now, in the neuro's report, he mentions that I, 'could not read his name badge with my left eye', which is true I couldnt, of course that has got me worrying again about my driving licence. Although people do drive with one eye, so I spose that answers my question! He also said that, 'she had mild difficulties when driving, for example judging the amount of pressure she can put on the pedal'. do you think that would go against me? Of course if I was having trouble I wouldnt drive. I am also going from manual to automatic. Also that was when I was having an 'attack'. He does mention that, 'she is not having a acute relapse at present.

I am wondering what happens first ie if I was to inform insurance company do they ask if DVLA have been informed? Is there a section on the mobility insurance which asks about diagnosis? Remeber tho that this mobility car is for my daughter, not me, though of course I will be the driver! Think I am right that the mobilty car can be used as the 'family car' and the disabled person doesn't have to be in the car?

I am due to speak to dealer tomorrow.

TIA

ps. can you tell I'm a bit of a worrier lol

Hezza
The eye I had ON in, is a lazy eye. If I had had the ON in my right eye, it would've been much worse. One of the ways I dealt with the ON was thinking, well at least it wasnt my right eye, something positive eh! :you-rock:

That's exactly how I felt with my 1st episode Geri! I also think that because my right eye was used to compensating for the left's inadequacy it took less adjusting too. In fact I was so "unconcerned" that I noticed my sight was changing and headed off for a long weekend in New York with a friend before I saw my doctor. I'll add here that ignoring it and going on holiday isn't an approach that I'd recommend to anyone else in the same situation.

At my very worst they asked me to read a sight chart with my left eye and my response was "what chart? I can't see it" :love:

You are correct that people with only one eye do drive. I believe that they say people with monocular vision should be able to drive after a "period of adjustment". As long as you pass a visual field test, which checks peripheral vision, you can drive.

Try not to get too concerned about what is written in the Neuro's records. If there's anything in there that concerns the DVLA they will arrange for you to have an assessment of how you are now. I have no experience of these, other than optician's tests, but I know some of the other members do. From everything I've seen and heard the DVLA certainly appear to try to help keep us all on the road rather than take us off it.

As for informing people your insurance company will ask if you've informed the DVLA so I'd probably get the call to the DVLA out of the way first.

As for discussions with the Dealer, how do you feel about telling him what is going on now that you have the Neuro's letter? If he's a motability dealer I would hope that he should understand and may actually be able to reassure you somewhat. Of course you've been dealing with him so if this doesn't seem like a good idea please don't do it!!

:football:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Michelle

Hi Geri,

Why not ask for a Motability assessment? I'm not sure whether this would be free for you,but you can always check this out by ringing Motability. By the sound of things you might have to have your car adapted. It was found at my assessment that my reaction time with my feet,and the fact that I had foot drop,meant that I could no longer carry on driving with pedals;- I now drive with hand controls instead.

Which ever way you look at it, you will have to inform the dvla,as it's your legal responsibility to do so. They usually give you a cover note so that you can continue to drive whilst they investigate your circumstances.

I would definately give Motability a call,they are usually very helpful when it comes to these things,plus they can advise on grants etc.

Lets us know how you get on

Michelle

Dianni

Hi Geri

I'd echo what Michelle has said and recommend you give Motability a ring. They have been really helpful with me. I had my driving assessment on Monday. (It was an experience for the poor OT and assessor!) The outcome seems to be that I am allowed to drive but with hand controls so I now have to wait for their report before I get back in touch with motability (at their insistance) to discuss changing the car and grants towards the adaptations. They couldn't have been more helpful!

Hope you can get things sorted. Let us know how you get on:cheerleader:

Hugs

Di

xxx

Jellybean

Thanks all :cheerleader:

I phoned and spoke to motability, was suggested I tell dvla when I get the confirmed diagnosis. Can't remember who suggested that to meon here, but thanks - think it was Matt or Andy?

I also spoke to him about the floopy pedals - which I don't think are the same as what he was talking about, which was basically having the brake pedal and possibly the gas on the left side. As its my left leg that gives me trouble, thats not really an option!

I also spoke to the dealer, and think I will just go ahead and order the car. Another dilema is whether to take his offer on my car or try and sell it myself, which seems a lot of bother, so I will probably just let them take it off my hands. Am deciding on colour, think I will stick with Silver, was between that and black!

I'm also thinking, that once the MS nurse gets in touch, and I can ask her about something to stop this tingling in my arm, and numbness. The neuro said in his letter that he had, 'refererd me URGENTLY' to her, it will be 2 weeks tomorrow - doesn't seem very urgent to me!

Di, hope you are not waiting too long for your adaptions, thanks for your reassurances x

J x

Michelle

Hi,

I would have thought that being refered to an MS Nurse, was sufficent to warrant informing the dvla. It sounds as if you have MS,but they dont yet know what type of MS you have. However, that's just my thoughts on the position you find yourself in. I just don't want you to find yourself in deep water. Perhaps a chat with the MS nurse/doctor about your driving woudln't go amiss - just to be on the safe side.

Michelle :cheerleader:

Jellybean

Thanks Michelle,

If I don't get a letter this morning I shall give them a ring. :shithappens: